• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

a big mac adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
you guessed it!! i will be adopting a military by next summer!!! eeeeeeeeeeee:dance5::dance5::dancing: i just can't wait. It's so exciting!!! OK, new-bird giddyness is flowing now... :hehe:

His name is Scooter. He's a good little dude, loves the lady's( lucky for me). He's 6 years old and SEVERELY plucked, like he looks like a chicken ready for baking. :lol: But i still think he's an awesome guy and the feathers missing does not deter me one bit. you all know i will be spamming with pictures and stories when the time comes. haha!

I will be house sitting a few times for the lady that has him now, so it will be perfect one on one time for me and Scooter, to bridge the gap of stranger/friend.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Leza, what wonderful news and so exciting. Just 'spam' away with the pictures you take, lol

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that is exciting news!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! And kudos to you for taking in a rehome :) Can't wait to see pics.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Congrats! Can't wait to see pics :)

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations!! Thats wonderful to hear! Although when I first read Big Mac, I thought you were talking about McDonalds.. :rofl: Yup you guessed it, I'm already thinking about lunch... :hehe:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That is great! Military macaws are awesome. And you'll love him:hug8:

Whats his story?

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Congrats! How will you wait until next summer? That would kill me! :lol:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whats his story??Oh congratulations too!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congratulations, very exciting!! :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Woot! Congratz.

MBS

Jogging around the block
Congratulations. I hope everything goes well with your new Macaw. They're gorgeous birds.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
thanks everyone :hug8:

I've always wanted a macaw and working in a bird store, it just makes me so sad seeing all the rehomes/rescues. I knew i would adopt and not buy a baby mac. Just too many of them out there to get a baby right now, plus it feels so right between the two of us.:heart:

Scooter is only 6 years old, and the lady I am getting him from has only had him for about 2, so before then she said he was just not happy, not let out enough, etc. ANd came to her plucked and yelling BAD. She has made him happy enough to not have to yell all day, he just does normal vocalizations now to be silly. :D

Waiting will be the worst part... lol! I'm so impatient, but he will live a long time so i'm in no hurry. I'm pretty sure between finding a house, timing, and Scooter liking me, I will have him home by the end of Spring. As of now it is trial and error, just making friends.

Today, was HUGE. It was only our second time visiting together, and he allowed me to give head scratches, pet his back, pick him up a couple of times( of course not without a military fight :p) and feed him. He regurgitated for me, played catch and toss, and shared ice cubes with me. It went so well.

Also strange fact about him, he can totally open macadamia nuts, i watched him do it, so amazing! he pokes a little hole and fishes pieces of the nut out. Just awesome that he has such strength when it comes to that but is gentle enough to play. :heart::heart:

Unfortunately(for him not me) our time together was interrupted multiple times by her hyacinth, he was getting so jealous of me and scooter, actually hit me with his ball to play with him instead of spending time with scooter. :rofl:

here's Scooter eating/drinking an ice cube :):

heres a short video:
http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k502/leza777/?action=view&current=1014001456.mp4

Last edited:

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Such a heart warming story, I'm so happy for you, he looks amazing (I don't care if they pluck they're always beautiful) and it's so awesome of you to take him in :hug8:
can't wait to hear how future visits go (that hy sounds hilarious!!) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.