• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

98% im getting a lovie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariba
My parents said yes! 98% cause they do tend to change their minds unexpectedly sometimes! But this probably won't be one of those times! So I put myself in the wait list for either a dutch blue, sea green, or normal green male lovebird!! Hope they have babies soon!!!

Gimme info on ur livies and stuff!!! Fave toys and food?

ifly

Real Name
Ariba
Oh and compared to a Sun, how loud r lovies? And how about mango and the locie getting along?

FutureDVM

Real Name
Ken
Congrats! Lovebirds are wonderful little parrots! I really miss mine and would like to get another one someday. If you can deal with a sun conure's noise level, you can definitely deal with a lovebird! ;) They do have a high pitched chirp, but nothing close to a screaming conure, in my opinion.

Also, I wouldn't count on your lovebird and conure getting along. Lovebirds can often be quite aggressive toward other birds. I've even heard stories of them attacking large macaws! They are definitely big birds in tiny bodies.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Lovies are mute compared to a sun, lovebird noise should be no problem. :lol:
It's a high pitched noise but not physically painful to be near like a mature sun's calls.

A sun is big enough to do real damage to a lovebird and lovebirds are known for starting fights they can't finish. I would be extremely careful mixing the two and with shared out of cage time. I'm sure it can be done safely and I've even seen a quaker/lovebird pair, but just be aware if they don't get along (or even if they do) the sun could badly hurt or kill a lovie. You'll just have to watch them and judge for yourself.

Anyway most every lovebird's favorite food is going to be millet. They absolutely worship the stuff, it's like candy to them. Peanut's favorite toys are things that are fun to shred, balsa, yucca, and paper, and things that make a lot of noise!

Paradox81

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dennis
I'm new to lovies only having mine a couple weeks, but mine really like the bell I have in their cage. They have all kinds of toys but the female esp. loves to hit it with her beak as hard as she can. I swear its gonna cause brain damage :lol:

Naiera

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
It's not the 'loudness' of my lovebirds, it's how often they make noise! Maybe it's because I have more than one, but they are very, very often making lots of noise. As long as it's not right in your ear :cool: it's not unpleasant.

My lovies too like bells. My lady lovies like things to shred and Tiki really likes things he can bang around and 'chew' on. They all do a decent bit of foraging here. They LOVE to fly around ... they never seem to sit still unless they're sleeping. The favorite food here is seed, specifically millet. If you're getting a baby I suggest making sure you are offering veggies, fruits, grains, legumes, pellets, and all the good stuff right off the bat! They seem to always eat seed without a problem but if you don't start with the healthy stuff right away it will only be harder later on.

You must be so excited! Hope it all goes well :hug8:

ifly

Real Name
Ariba
Thanks for the info! Should I keep mango and the lovie in the same room or separate?

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on the possibility of getting a lovie . I hope all goes well with u and you have your new loved fid soon. I don't have lovie experience. All I know is that they are cute :swoon:

i look forward to meeting your future's baby.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My lovebirds get along with my cockatiels, Senegal and Meyers as well as my CAG. They all have their own cages, of course, and lots of room to fly in as they are loose most of the day all together in the birdroom. The hen lovebird, Blu is extremely bossy and the other birds usually move out of her way without an argument. However, there have been a few threats from Trixie Meyers and Blu, but usually Blu says something in lovebird that sounds pretty vile and then Blu goes on her way. Hen lovies are very cage territorial and will bite feet that land on their cage, so just be aware of that. I have the top of the lovie cage partially covered with a towel to prevent toe injuries from Blu defending her cage. Right now Blu is especially rabid about her cage as she has (I hope non-viable) eggs in her cardboard tunnel house.

Blu loves to shred newspaper, tuck it in her tail feathers and take it home to her tunnel and add to her nest. She also enjoyed destroying several wicker plates, baskets and bowls and used that also to line her nest. She regularly beats up her bells, her wooden chew toys and her pollydolly. She is relatively nice to her mate, Harley; nicer than my past lovebird hens were to their mates. I have only had Blu for six months and before that time she lived as an only bird; so I guess she is grateful to have found another lovebird. She certainly is not nice to the other birds. Blu also likes my Jollyball and plays inside it as it hangs from the ceiling. Blu and Harley are both hand tamed, but lately do not wish to be handled; they are too intent on their eggs.

Good luck and I wish you every happiness in your new lovie.

ifly

Real Name
Ariba
Hmmm... Not sure how mango will react to the lovie. Mango is at my friends house right now as I am in Washington dc for a wedding. My friend said that mango is tolerating her tiel. They aren't like playing with eachother but they aren't attacking one another either. Let's see what will happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.