• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

7-8 week old cockatiel

Jenn K

Checking out the neighborhood
hello I purchased a baby cockatiel from a breeder, this baby was parent raised and I was told to hand feed him, which I have knowledge on how to do so. Since day 1 the bird has not wanted to eat formula which I understand he is adjusting to his new home I've only had him for 6 days today, I do know how to crop feed the babies, so I went a head and crop fed him, I keep the formula temp. between 105-108 for hand feeding. I noticed this morning that the Skin around his crop is very red/chest and under his wing. could his crop be irritated? he hasn't been very active since day one, and all he wants to do is sleep.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jenn,

105-108 for hand feeding. I noticed this morning that the Skin around his crop is very red/chest and under his wing. could his crop be irritated?
Over 105F is too hot.
Which formula are you using? Some will even allow 1 degree less than the 105F.

Check you are prepping to the correct ratio, dehydration presents as red skin. You can add a little unsweetened natural coconut water or pedialyte to the formula.

Jenn K

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the Avenue Jenn,

Over 105F is too hot.
Which formula are you using? Some will even allow 1 degree less than the 105F.

Check you are prepping to the correct ratio, dehydration presents as red skin. You can add a little unsweetened natural coconut water or pedialyte to the formula.
the formula im using is hagen tropican. he just very sleepy all the time. when I give him food, he'll take a little then spit up the rest. but just wants to sleep

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This is a good resource for baby tiels: www.ask-noodles.com. Also, you may want to contact the breeder for help. Or if he's not doing well, a vet. (And I think it's unethical for breeders to sell unweaned babies. Just my 2 cents.)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: