• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 months and he is persistent help if you can advice needed

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
At what age do male budgies become sexually mature? My 6-month-old male is "bothering" the female, and she isn't interested. She is 5 he is 6 months old.

the white one tries ALOT to get her attention from head bobbing to sitting near her singing and other things that look sexual to me and she aint havin it!

will I need to separate them?

she tolerates him ok unless he tried to what looks like mate with her isn't 6 months too young for that behaviour?

Attachments

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He's going through an age where they "practice". Once he's mature he might very well calm down. Unless she is in danger of being plucked or being bothered so much that she can't eat or rest I wouldn't separate them.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Don't judge them by our human standards, they are just doing the natural thing. It's all okay as long as they're not fighting and pulling feathers. Besides, once they mature the female will take charge anyway, and she won't take any nonsense (unless she wants it).

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
This is what the male does several hours a day. I don't think the female likes it too much. She lunged at him already a few times. As the male gets older is this going to get better or worse? I seriously am considering re-homing the male free to a good home so he can make a family.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This is what the male does several hours a day. I don't think the female likes it too much. She lunged at him already a few times. As the male gets older is this going to get better or worse? I seriously am considering re-homing the male free to a good home so he can make a family.
That's how budgies are. It's what they do. They do it in the wild too. It really is nothing to worry about, the fact that she's not ripping him to pieces shows its not bothering her that much.
There's no point going for another budgie just for the same thing to happen.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Please don't rehome the little guy. It might seem to you like he's all frustrated stimulation trying to start a family but he's acting perfectly normal. I have two brothers and they feed each other often. In the morning, the first one to get to the food dish gets chased around the cage/room until he gives in and lets his brother have some of what he's already eaten. It's there little ritual and game. If one's wanting to feed or be fed and the other one isn't feeling it then he lets it be known and makes the other back off. But it's all normal communication. They can look out for themselves. This little one is trying to learn how to be a bird and he's learning through trial and error. The older one tells him what's ok and what isn't so the occasional small squabble is perfectly normal and good! It's how they learn and are formed into well-functioning adult birds. They learn boundaries and their personalities are shaped during this growing-up time. Don't worry so much. You can't expect them to be perfect understanding friends all the time - that's not how bird world or human world works.

ETA: ("I have two brothers who feed each other often" - I'm speaking of my two budgies who are brothers :facepalm: :lol: For context they're also not a bonded pair; friends within a flock feed and preen each other as well)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
In that picture she seems to be readily accepting the food he's offering her. If a few moments later she makes him back off it's her saying "OK my hunger's satisfied stop now please". Along with everything else, remember he is a baby. Six months is baby. His hormones are probably a little out of whack, he's learning about social behaviour (which is why it's so important that he does have a flock/adult bird around or else he'll never learn "how to bird"), and he wants a mommy replacement to make him feel safe. So maybe that's part of why he's so insistent with trying to get affection.