• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

>: (

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayjamyers

Walking the driveway
Real Name
dayja
My 11 year old umbie Elizabeth - shes the love of my life. Last night i was with my brother and boyfriend at our kitchen table and had her perched beside me. Everything was going good, until i reached to rub her head and she delivered the worst bite ive ever endured. Now shes my baby -we cuddle, shoulder rides, shower time - the works. She has NEVER drawn blood in the 5 years ive had her, but this time the "meat" of my thumb is exposed, and it wont stop bleeding like i actaully may need stiches. Now i know they are wild animals - with no prediction in actions or behaviors. But i cant understand why she woulsd bite so hard. She is not jealous twards my brother- he holds her. And she doesnt like David(my bf) but we dont show affection when shes out or can see us. I am at a loss on how to handle this - she seemed remorseful afterwards making her little coo's trying to tuck her head as i imedietly put her back in her cage. Does she know what shes done? How can i reprimand her? HELP:mad:

Attachments

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Uh the only thing I can say is that she's a Too. It doesn't take much and it was something that you probably wouldn't have even noticed. The tiniest thing can set them off and you may never know why. That being said, I'm sorry, I understand and gentle hugs :hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
it is too late and a reprimand is not good you may have startled her I hope your finger gets better soon :hug8:if she is eating and does not pay attention to you that is not a good time to pet her for any bird

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cockatoo,hormones, use caution. Sorry you were bitten, hope it heals soon.:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
So sorry for the bite, could it have been diplaced aggression since she likes your brother also, maybe warding you away from each other.

Not best to make a big tadoo over the bite that could reinforce her to do it more if she got a reaction from you. There isn't a way to punish for a bite because she would have given a sign even if you didn't notice it.

I had an Umbrella that almost took my thumb pad off my left hand it took me forver to get the feeling back in it.

Just keep it clean, I used super glue instead of getting stitches.

Good luck!

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
My answer to you is yes. She knew what she did & it sounds by what you describe she felt bad. A lot of times our feathered companions do not know/realize/understand their own beak strength … if you put it in this context ~ watch birds in the wild; they bite each other to get the attention, avert attention from something else, etc. They use this as a means of communication w/ each other. In turn, they have feathers to protect each other from the bite. However, they do NOT realize we do not have that same protection.

IME – if you have a bird … you’re GOING to get bit @ some time, for some reason. It’s inevitable. The key is finding out WHAT caused the bite and WHY? Sometimes that happens. I’ve often kept in my signature line:

If you can’t bite the one you want ~ Bite the one you’re with!

I’ve had my 20 yr old male U2 for the better part of 13 years … He will occasionally bite the crap out of me. However, I’ve learned his body language enough to know that 99% of the time if I do get bit – it was my fault & could have been avoided. BUT there is the 1% that it just happens. It sucks that you got bit. I hope it feels quickly! For the record ~ Preparation H is phenomenal for healing a cockatoo bite, taking both the sting and the swelling out.

OT: That is one gorgeous fluff ball!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If she was focused on them or something on the table like "food" and is in a higher state of alert, she may have been startled and you caught her off guard. That'll get you a good bite.

Just the fact that she would be more alert of the whole situation (especially if something is new) she would be more on guard and didn't want any distraction (like a hand reaching over).

Last edited:

andor

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
I highly suggest Barbara Heidenreich's (I'm sure I spelled that wrong...) book on parrot behavior -- the title escapes me and I'm on my phone now. I'm sure someone will chime in. Will give you good insight on stuff like this.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sorry about you getting bit. Yes,as it has been said, they know what thet're doing when they bite. The reason just wasn't apparent to you. It's good you didn't make a big deal about it when it happened.I know that had to be hard. Elizabeth didn't get reinforced when the bite happened. All you can do is be even more attentive every time you interact with her. One time my LSC, Cassie bit me on my finger. She was going for my wife, whom she didn't like.After she bit me, I calmly put her back in her cage,and was putting on a bandage. All of a sudden , I heard from Cassie's cage a little voice saying "Sorry...Sorry"...

Crickets Mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly Foss
Ouch sorry it happened. I have learned from this post. thanks everyone. Hope you heal quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.