• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

5 eggs in six weeks

daveleb55

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dave
I have an (approximately) 40 year old umbrella cockatoo. In the past, she has laid eggs now and again. Last year, she laid three, I think. This year, she's laid FIVE so far, in only six weeks. I am told that this is an indicator that she is healthy. I'm glad she's healthy. She eats soak and cook with peas and corn every morning, various treats throughout the day such as; corn on the cob, pomegranates, walnuts, peanut butter and crackers, sweet potato fries, and buttered toast.

HOW DO I GET HER TO STOP??!!!

BTW, there is no male, just her, me and my wife. No other pets. My wife is a concerned because she keeps laying eggs ON her.

Thanks for any help or insights you can bring to this,

Dave L

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does she eat any pellets or other fresh foods? Forming eggs drains a substantial amount of calcium. If she is not taking in enough calcium, it can cause serious health issues.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This year, she's laid FIVE so far, in only six weeks.
How is it she ended up with 5 eggs over the course of 6 weeks? That seems like an odd laying cycle to me.

My hen would lay an egg every 2-3 days. When she was done laying her eggs (usually 2 or 3) she would sit on them for 28 days or so before she lost interest or at day 28-30 when I would insist life get back to normal and remove the eggs.

daveleb55

Real Name
Dave
How is it she ended up with 5 eggs over the course of 6 weeks? That seems like an odd laying cycle to me.

My hen would lay an egg every 2-3 days. When she was done laying her eggs (usually 2 or 3) she would sit on them for 28 days or so before she lost interest or at day 28-30 when I would insist life get back to normal and remove the eggs.

She laid an egg about 6 weeks ago. a week later laid another. about a month later, laid another, a few days later, laid another, (that's 4) then a couple days ago, laid number 5! Previously the most she ever laid was 4 in about the same period, 5 or 6 weeks.

daveleb55

Real Name
Dave
Does she eat any pellets or other fresh foods? Forming eggs drains a substantial amount of calcium. If she is not taking in enough calcium, it can cause serious health issues.
One of her favorite treats is Romaine lettuce. she'll eat an entire leaf sometimes. I also give her about a tablespoon of pellets every day, in a dry mix of rice chex, corn chex, pretzels, goldfish, and some rice crackers. Also grapes, bananas, apples, anything that's in season.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m not sure about the egg laying, but you should slowly wean her off the human snacks you mentioned. They are loaded with salt and other things that are really bad for her, and have no nutritional value. Instead she should fill up on fresh foods like veggies and grains, pellets and a small amount of seed. Even fruit should be limited because of its high sugar content. Calcium would be especially important now too. I know you want her to be around for another 40 years!

daveleb55

Real Name
Dave
so, no ideas at all? I found one thing on another website, but that's about it.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
My guess would be diet. Birds reproduce when food is plentiful and good for making and raising babies. My vet instructed me to keep my Too lean by feeding only pellets and fresh veggies. No seeds, sugars, salts, or carbs. He gets one or two pieces of fruit a week, and the occasions but of a human snack for training.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
so, no ideas at all?
You did get excellent advice to try; clean up the diet. Stop the cereal and snacks. Lower the carbs and sugary fruits. Give her pellets and veggies that are in season.

Getting her on a healthy diet, making sure she has a good sleep schedule and that her cage and play area do not have items or areas that she could view as nest worthy will all help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Make sure she's getting enough sleep/ darkness. I know for cocktails they suggest upping hours of sleep for 2 hours for 2 weeks to get them to think its winter and not time to lay eggs. I would imagine the same could help with cockatoos