• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 5 day old baby cockatiel

Jacalego

Moving in
Real Name
Jacob
I have no idea what happened to this baby! I have 2 others with it that I have been handfeeding from day 1. Their parents abandoned them so I have taken the responsibility to raise them, but I have come across a problem. One of the babies legs have bent backwards in the weirdest way. It is not splayed, because I have treated splayed legs before. Does anybody know what happened or why its like this??? I caught it early this morning when I went in for handfeeding and it happened overnight because it was fine yesterday. Is there a way to fix it? I don't want it to have to live like this for the rest of its life, I need some help, stat! 16206732767541762198416.jpg 1620673535215292688103.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Are they swollen?

What is their set up like? Could you post a picture?

Ultimately to fix it, I would call your vet asap. It tends to be, the quicker you address it and try to fix it, the better luck you will have.

Jacalego

Moving in
Real Name
Jacob
Are they swollen?

What is their set up like? Could you post a picture?

Ultimately to fix it, I would call your vet asap. It tends to be, the quicker you address it and try to fix it, the better luck you will have.
Thankyou, and I will be calling a vet soon, trying to see if anybody knows how to fix it first or experienced it just in case it isn't THAT urgent or I can fix it myself. I have them set up in a wood nesting box with some woodshaving in there: 1620674655938810799936.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can see the floor in parts. So you need to add a good 3-4 inches (depth) more shavings.

The way you have the box can cause leg development problems, like spraddle leg.

If you are using that sponge for moisture, sit it on a place or plastic tupperware lid or something to stop it touching the box and bedding.

@PoukieBear @Matto @iamwhoiam @Mockinbirdiva @finchly

Jacalego

Moving in
Real Name
Jacob
I can see the floor in parts. So you need to add a good 3-4 inches (depth) more shavings.

The way you have the box can cause leg development problems, like spraddle leg.

If you are using that sponge for moisture, sit it on a place or plastic tupperware lid or something to stop it touching the box and bedding.

@PoukieBear @Matto @iamwhoiam @Mockinbirdiva @finchly
Ok, thankyou so much that helps a lot, I will do that now!

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
;
Thankyou, and I will be calling a vet soon, trying to see if anybody knows how to fix it first or experienced it just in case it isn't THAT urgent or I can fix it myself. I have them set up in a wood nesting box with some woodshaving in there: View attachment 382303
How are you keeping them warm? I've never seen legs like that before.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You do need to add more wood shavings to the box but best to take the little one to the vet and have those legs checked out.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
wow, I actually just had a video call with my vet two days ago because I have a budgie chick with the same issue right now.

This is usually caused by the hen sitting too close on the chicks when they are young, or when the chick gets buried in the bottom of the baby pile and their legs will either splay, or get dislocated. Basically it's too much weight on the chick and the pressure causes them to get injured.
I personally have never seen this in any of my chicks until now, but the vet did indicate that it's not uncommon. Since the legs are splayed backwards, there isn't much we can do to fix it and the chick will likely have this disability for the rest of it's life. The severity of the situation will vary from chick to chick, and right now I don't know how badly this will affect it's ability to perch or move around.

You can try binding the legs like you normally would with splayed legs, but there's no guaranty that this will fix it.