• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

5 Babies!!! What am I going to do?? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
If you still have that egg and it's intact, return it to the box! Unhatched eggs serve a purpose, especially for the littlest ones. They use those eggs to lean on so they don't get squished in the nest and unhatched eggs also help prevent mom from sitting too hard on all the babies. When there are more than 4 babies in a lovebird nest, the smallest ones need every advantage they can get.
Ok I put the egg back in the the babies are continuing to flock around and use it as they will. I keep checking on the babies and the youngest baby seems to find a way to be near the other babies but keep his body from being crushed. Lol. :)

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
Once the youngest baby is about 3 weeks old, you will find that the egg will be pushed aside and they won't need it anymore. You can safely remove it at that time.

Believe me! It's not easy growing up and surviving when you are the smallest baby in a larger clutch of 5. The smallest gets fed exactly the same thing as the oldest and you have to watch that mom isn't feeding undigested whole seed because the oldest one can handle it, while the youngest one could not. When I have a hen that does this, I take away seed and just offer soft food until the smallest one plays catch up in age in abilities to the older ones.

Continue to monitor the little one, as it needs all the advantages it can get!

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
I would so say I want one if I lived closer to you. I know I don't NEED another fid, but I am following in love with the little lovebirds. I keep coming back to this area to learn more about them. The babies are so so so cute!

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Once the youngest baby is about 3 weeks old, you will find that the egg will be pushed aside and they won't need it anymore. You can safely remove it at that time.

Believe me! It's not easy growing up and surviving when you are the smallest baby in a larger clutch of 5. The smallest gets fed exactly the same thing as the oldest and you have to watch that mom isn't feeding undigested whole seed because the oldest one can handle it, while the youngest one could not. When I have a hen that does this, I take away seed and just offer soft food until the smallest one plays catch up in age in abilities to the older ones.

Continue to monitor the little one, as it needs all the advantages it can get!
The babies are doing great and growing fast and the smallest 2 babies are managing to stay on top of the bigger ones from what I can tell. I never feed my birds seeds unless its hand training with sunflower seeds. They get 2 kinds of pellets, granola, fresh veggies, birdie bread and some occasional dried fruit (since they won't eat fresh). So there is no worry of any of the babies being fed coarse foods or undigested whole seeds. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.