• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1st good interation with unhandleable bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
So some of you know about my senegal Taz who can not be handled at all. I have had him for 14 months. Many people on here have suggested that I start to work with him but I just dont know how or what to do to get started. Since I got him the only thing I was able to do was give him a treat but I had to make sure the treat was big enough so I would not get bit and thats all I could do.

So I sat down next to him talked quietly to him and asked if it would be ok to pet his head. I told him I promise I will not hurt you. I will just pet your head like I do to Betty. I told him we can work together and maybe he can start to get out of his cage to play like Betty does. I reassured him I would just pet his head and would not hurt him. He actually let me pet his head through the bars. So I attempted to open the cage and pet his head like that and he nipped me but barely. So I closed the door and again told him I was going to pet him on his head and would not hurt him. He allowed me once again to pet his head thru the bars. So I opened his door and gave him a treat for doing so well. This is really giving me some hope that maybe he can be worked with. I was so excited and amazed.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
I cant remember who offered to help me with tips on working with him. But they are on my fb. But could that person please chime in? Id love your opinion and your tips if you have time to help me. Im thinking its Roxynoodle? but not positive.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I'm a bit of a hard-a@@ and this brought tears to my eyes, Carolyn. I'm no trainer so don't want to act like I am, but maybe when you open his door you can just sit and talk more to him instead of trying to touch him. That way he will feel safer and enjoy just having the door open, for now.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
thanks I will definitly try that. In the end I am trying to get him to be handleable and be able to get him out of his cage.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I have found that touching my Red Bellied parrot, Shadow, through the bars of her cage has brought us closer together. She feels safe in there. I first just offered to scratch her head and then she accepted it under the chin, back of the leg and on her back. You are doing great with your bird. Just take is slow.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
thanks. I appreciate the tips. Like I said I do not know where to begin with him. When I got him he was already like this. I cant get him out of his cage so I need to work with him so that can eventually happen. I want him to be able to come out and play like Betty does. Im sure he sees Betty come out and play and gets jealous. Id like to be able to do that with him to.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Carolyn, is Taz afraid of hand held perches? Just a six or eight inch long regular perch; you hold it by one end and the rest of it sticks out toward the bird. To teach my wild cockatiels to step up, I slowly advance the perch toward the belly of the bird, right above the feet he is standing on and gently press the perch against him (do not try to knock him off balance, just gentle pressure). Usually pressure here will cause a bird to lift a foot up onto the handheld perch and often they transfer the other foot as well and then you have the bird standing on the hand held perch. Once they are on the perch you can move it, slowly and gently. My tiels will initially panic and fly off the perch and I will go to where they landed with a treat and give them the treat. Once they have eaten the treat, then I will use the hand held perch to pick them up again. Training sessions should not be more than ten minutes for cockatiels; can be fifteen or twenty even for a Senegal who is cooperating.

Once my cockatiels are cooperating with stepping up on the perch, I will offer them their treat while on the perch. When they pause to eat the treat while standing on the perch, I move them to where I want them to go. This is how you will train Taz to step up on a hand held perch so you can put him back in his cage after he starts coming out to visit with you. Does Taz leave the cage if you leave the cage door open? Ususally they will climb up on the top of their cage to hang out. Does he do this?

Last edited:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's a great first step, I know it seems only small, but that's huge, well done. :)

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
When I open his door its usually just to give him treats but he wont come near the door. I cant leave it open because of the dogs. I have never tried the perch thing but im thinking sticking something in his cage might scare him. He has never been out of his cage besides switching cages (which i used a perch between cages with treats on it to lure him across it into the new cage) Also his wings are not clipped so im kinda scared where he may fly. Do you think doing this with the perch is moving to fast? Or should I try other things and slowly work up to that?

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe before using it on him, have it next to the cage for him to investigate? I know our FIDs always have a hissy fit when something new arrives, then half an hour later after some great debate about whether it is a FID eating monster, they're playing with whatever it is. :)

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Don't take him out if the dogs will go after him. It's not worth it, no matter how careful you are. I know you said they carry on if you confine them, but could they go in the yard for a half hour now and then, or in any room that has a door?

I like Lois' idea of a transport perch, but I'd like to suggest using a folded rope perch instead of a straight stick perch. The advantage, IMO, to a folded rope perch is you can present the loop part of the rope perch to him straight on, instead of having to hold the stick sideways. I keep 3 rope perches hanging in my bird room I use them so often, mostly because I'm short! Because my birds will step onto a rope perch I know that almost anyone can move them around in an emergency.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Oh know when I take my other bird out all animals are put away in another room with a closed door. I do not and would not take any chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.