• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

10 week Caique issues??

Babycaique

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tanya
I just got a 10 week Caique yesterday that the breeder said was weaned pretty much but still wanting one feeding a day. She squawks continuously unless you are feeding her. I was told She squawked for 3 hours straight without stopping on the way to me from her original home. I fed her as soon as I got her, she ate soooo much and then calmed down somewhat and was quiet all night. She started squawking first thing this morning and I fed her, letting her eat off and on for almost an hour before she calmed down. When I left the house she was still squawking but I checked my camera later and she was quiet. The minute I walked in the door back home she started squawking and did not stop. I fed her again, I gave her baby formula, pellets, fresh fruit/veggies, her crop was so full. She did the wing flap thing, I call it the baby quake. She layed in a blanket in my arms and fell asleep and was still squawking as she was sleeping. When I put her to bed tonight and covered her cage she has been quiet. I am just concerned with the continuous squawking… it’s constant. I have never had a baby do this before. Is it that the lady pulled her too soon or tried to wean her too soon, does she think she is not going to have food, or what? I am just worried about her. Does anyone have suggestions or have had this happen before?? I want to make sure I am doing the right thing by her.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Sometimes a baby regresses when moved to a new home. That combined with weaning too quickly (possibly forced weaning) would make the baby feel the need for comfort feedings. I will tag some people with baby Caiques experience
@Laurie @Irishj9

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
Ok great! Thanks so much. I would appreciate any help or advice they can give. She is so sweet but like I said just squawks constantly. I just fed her and she is so full. She quit eating, walking away from it but she is still continuously squawking. Does she need more attention? Or will that cause more squawking when she sees me.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
10 weeks is two young for a caique to be weaned. 12-16 weeks is more normal with 14 weeks being average (I have raised many, many caique babies). If you reduce the feeding to soon they will freak out and start doing what yours is doing. The good news is all you need to do is increase the hand feedings for a few more weeks. Keep giving lots of what you expect her to wean to in the cage and then offer formula 2-3 times per day. No need to drag it out to an hour, if she is distracted and will not eat after 5 minutes or so then just pack it up until the next feeding and she will eat then. If she doesn't eat it is because she is not hungry. She may squawk and complain a bit because she is not sure what to do with herself and is feeling insecure. I find they are least hungry when they first wake up so if you wait a few hours she may eat better. She can easily go 10-12 hours overnight without food. Try and space out 2-3 feeding over the rest of the day. Try three and if she is not hungry try one a little later in the morning and one earlier at night when you go to 2 feeding. Hopefully that will make sense.

If you are looking for vet approved info on weaning and handfeeding check this out. There is a handout on weaning and a video on handfeeding. I did the feeding video and the babies are just a little younger than yours so it will be especially helpful for you. The weaning handout was done by someone else but is also exactly what I do and would recommend.

Each baby is different and when they are separated from their flock and moved to a new location at a young age they can take a little longer to wean so just use common sense and be patient.

Best wishes to you and your little one :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Thanks @Laurie. I knew that I could count on you to help. I am personally clueless about babies. My information is what I glean from AA. But I frequently know who to tag.

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
Thanks Laurie and ZooMom. I greatly appreciate the information and willingness to help. I have handfed and raised African Greys before but I NEVER had one act this way so it was freaking me out a little bit and I wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else going on that I didn’t understand. I do try to handfeed her the formula 3 times a day and love on her afterwards for about 30 minutes each time. I have a bowl she can perch on that sits on the bottom of her baby cage ( I have not moved her to a larger cage yet) so she can nibble on her pellets and millet through the day. And a bowl of water. When she sees the formula bowl she goes nuts lol even if she is not hungry and won’t eat it. She DOES NOT want you to take it away lol. She has even fallen asleep in my arms still crying ❤ She steps up well and learning to balance more so until she balances better I have her in a small metal travel cage with one perch she can step up on but close to the bottom. Thank you again for all your help. I greatly appreciate it!!!

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He's a cutie.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thanks Laurie and ZooMom. I greatly appreciate the information and willingness to help. I have handfed and raised African Greys before but I NEVER had one act this way so it was freaking me out a little bit and I wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else going on that I didn’t understand. I do try to handfeed her the formula 3 times a day and love on her afterwards for about 30 minutes each time. I have a bowl she can perch on that sits on the bottom of her baby cage ( I have not moved her to a larger cage yet) so she can nibble on her pellets and millet through the day. And a bowl of water. When she sees the formula bowl she goes nuts lol even if she is not hungry and won’t eat it. She DOES NOT want you to take it away lol. She has even fallen asleep in my arms still crying ❤ She steps up well and learning to balance more so until she balances better I have her in a small metal travel cage with one perch she can step up on but close to the bottom. Thank you again for all your help. I greatly appreciate it!!!
I am not really sure what to add except that normally at 10 weeks caiques are flying really well (if she wasn't clipped), climbing and have no issues with balance or perching. If she is not eating and her balance is off I would definately have her checked by a vet ASAP. It really doesn't seem normal to me.