• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

❆ ❆ ☃ It´s back! ☺ ☃ ❆ ❆

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I love the snow on my screen! I love it in photos too. I honestly have much more of an issue with most of the moving avatars and siggies that sometimes affect my ability to read the content near them, I now just skip a lot of stuff I otherwise would read. We all have our dislikes, lucky for those who do not like AA snow they only have to deal with it for a short time- the moving siggies and avatars are there for good!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's a shame. It's properly interfering with my onscreenkeyboard like it did last time. Does anyone remmber the hack to get rid of it?
Adblocker of some sort, perhaps?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Noticed it when I got on...love it! And how it accumulates on the bottom of the screen..we should build snowmen!!:snowman3:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
A decent ad blocker if you use the right setting. You block everything if you go too crazy. I blocked it one year but I decided I liked it and unblocked it. It doesn't mess with my onscreen keyboard or anything else here. I use SwiftKey and it's pretty good.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I use SwiftKey too. The problem is when you're at the bottom of a page of posts and you want to select some text to quote or reply to. Tried adblockers - the only way to disable the snow is to totally disable java, then you lose the edit box so you can't post.
It's exactly the same problem as last year, it's making the site laggy and almost impossible to use on mobile devices.
(took 20mins to type this, cpu at 95%)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just a thought. What happens when chrome drop java support? That's impending isn't it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use the site 90% on mobile and don't experience any of those issues.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Aussiebird, you don't need snow down under...everything else is trying to kill you so you should get a break from the wet-white-cold stuff.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Is it just me, or is it snowing faster now than when it started?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love snow when I can look at it from a distance! I've lived in Iowa and South Dakota so I know what REAL snow is like. Once in a blue moon we get an ample surprise here in South Carolina. Emma and Riley have a hard time walking on the hard spikes of frozen grass with their little feet . You'd think oodles of poodles would love the snow.... but Jesse was not part of that group and didn't like the snow one bit ( nor did I having to clean chunks of snow from his legs and feet.... and there were no outdoor grooming sessions for the big guy when we had bad weather... this is as shaggy as it got for him!!!!!)

Jesse snow 2.JPG

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I use SwiftKey too. The problem is when you're at the bottom of a page of posts and you want to select some text to quote or reply to. Tried adblockers - the only way to disable the snow is to totally disable java, then you lose the edit box so you can't post.
It's exactly the same problem as last year, it's making the site laggy and almost impossible to use on mobile devices.
(took 20mins to type this, cpu at 95%)
Try UBlock Origin, you can block certain scripts and like that with it so if you figure out which script is making it snow you can disable it and everything else should still work. I use Firefox on a Android phone and tablet and I'm not seeing that kind of cpu or memory load, everything works normally.
Maybe you also need to try FF and see how many things are running in the background eating up memory and cpu cycles.
My old tablet would get totally bogged down because the system memory was 16 gig and it was so loaded up with various programs it would run out of memory and slow down.
I would put everything I could on the micro SD card and it would run better till something would cause it to reload things back to the system memory and I'd have to do it again.
My phone now has 64 gig of memory and my tablet has 128gig so no longer a problem here.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I have trouble with the snow effect due to a medical condition, but I enjoy the forums here too much to go without them.
I looked at the source for this page and found what I think generates the snow. I'll enlist my son's help to see if I can block it.

Code:
<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/Snowstorm/20131208/snowstorm-min.js"></script>

<script>
    snowStorm.snowColor = '#FFF';
    snowStorm.flakesMax = 128;
    snowStorm.flakesMaxActive = 96;
    snowStorm.useTwinkleEffect = 1;
    snowStorm.followMouse = 0;
    snowStorm.snowStick = 1;
    snowStorm.animationInterval = 100;
    snowStorm.excludeMobile = 0;
    snowStorm.zIndex = 9999;
</script>

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I added a custom filter to AdBlock plus and the snow issue is gone. Yay for me! I deserve a cookie!

//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/Snowstorm/20131208/snowstorm-min.js

If you need to get rid of the snow and can figure out how to add a custom filter to your Ad blocker or browser, there is the link that needs to be blocked.

mak

Rollerblading along the road
Noticed it when I got on...love it! And how it accumulates on the bottom of the screen..we should build snowmen!!:snowman3:
I guess my laptop runs warm, doesn't accumulate by me, just a few flakes that "melt" after a few seconds. :)