• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zuni (tiel) recently had her leg amputated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuni_Bird_Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Brenda H.
My 7 year old cockatiel just recently had her leg amputated and I am feeling selfish about ruining her quality of life by not putting her down but these stories make me more secure in my decision. Zuni has never been locked in her cage and is not happy about the time she now spends in her cage. She is able to get up and down her cage with a ladder but I am thinking of changing her cage to a longer, shorter one and covering the top of her cage and bottom with fleece. I need sugguestions and ideas to make her cage safe for her. She doesn't fly either because her wings have always been clipped so I am hoping in the coming months she is able to fly as I am not going to continue to clip her.

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated and help me feel better.

Thank you,
Brenda
:confused:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Welcome to the avenue.. :) I'm soo sorry to hear about your sweet cockatiel Zuni having to get her leg amputated and thank you for not putting her to sleep.. :hug8: I too have a disabled tiel as well, he is missing his toes on his left foot and you would be surprised at how resilent our little disabled birdies are.. :heart: I agree you could get her a longer cage.. And you could put in her cage a nice flat/platform perch like this one Sqwatters Platform Perch Small Medium.. And maybe put a piece of moleskin padding on it so its soft Dr. Scholl's - Product Detail just make sure you get the non-medicated kind.. :) And maybe put a little a little happy hut in her cage like this Prevue Hendryx Snuggle Hut Small so she can rest her feeties.. :heart: Or you could get her a ferret cage that has ramps in it.. You could also make toy playing easier for her by getting some finger traps Finger Trap 5 Pack - FOOT TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE and weaving them in between the bars of the cage.. Oh yeah and my Mikey loves this little sneaker toy as well .Sneaker Foot Toy - FOOT TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE. :D

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Though I don't have any fids missing a leg, my splay legged Quaker has flat perches in her cage. What I found she did like specially was the woven grass mats I found in the rodent section which I adapted and zip-tied inside her cage so that she has a "floor" at the level where her food and water dishes are and she doesn't have to try to keep her balance on a single wood perch while eating or drinking.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we have a special needs tiel he cannot grip at all one leg is paralayzxed...we have a rodent cage for him....and two flat platforms..you can make them out of plywood about four inches wide that run the length of the cage.also if she has a flat cage top..put papers on it and set up food water etc on it..and let her come out on top..(even if you have to put there)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
also you may want to set up an entire area outside of the cage for her...any flat surface really that has some space where you can set up a water dish a food bowl and a couple of toys(you can lay them on the flat surface our crippled tiel plays with toys that way)...a lady on here had a tiel with only one leg and she had a whole area set up..our Maxwell has a paralyzed leg and we have to transport him from his cage to the flat cage top..fortunately, he can fly so he really gets around well for a handicapped guy..your girlie can have a good life..I honestly recommend an area outside the cage so that she can hang out and still feel secure and get out of the cage.

Zuni_Bird_Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Brenda H.
Thanks alot. I already order a couple of flat perches and put moleskin padding on the shopping list. I'm lucky she is used to me changing her cage around everytime I clean it so it shouldn't upset her.

And I will have to set up an area for her outside her cage. I know she is upset because she refuses to come out her cage since her surgery so maybe a little place just for her will spike her interest. Hopefully she will be able to fly. She has never spent this much time in her cage. But the injury is still new and I know she has to adjust I just hate seeing her depressed like.

Last edited:

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:hello: Brenda and :welave: So sorry to hear about your tiel loosing a leg. We have many members here that have fids with special needs. I am sure you will get lots of advice and help. BTW, I am sure everyone would love to see pictures of your baby.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Welcome. I am sure Zuni will adapt to a life with only one leg - if you provide the right environment for her (others have given you some great info). Many people, animals adapt to physical disabilities but it does take time. She has to re-learn everything and maybe she is still sore and a little unsure of everything at the moment. Thank you for making the right decision for her and not puttig her down. She will come good, just keep on loving, spoiling her.

Zuni_Bird_Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Brenda H.
Thanks everyone! The vet even thought I was crazy to be shelling out money for her surgery so I am happy to know there is support and happy tiels out there with disabilities. I will put up pictures of Zuni as soon as I can locate a camera. :tiel:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm soo glad you joined here.. :) And I can't wait to see pictures of little Zuni.. :hug8: I hope you can locate a camera or perhaps you have a friend who can take pics for you.. And maybe when you get your cage setup you can take pictures. :) I know it took me a long time to get my cage the way I want it.. But the Avian Avenue folks were very instrumental in helping me.. :hug8:

Zuni_Bird_Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Brenda H.
zuni 2.jpg This is Zuni Bird when she was almost two. She is missing her right leg now. After I get her cage put together I will post that and hopefully get some feed back! I just want to think everyone and give everyone a huge:hug8:.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
There is nothing wrong with a little bird with disabilities. So glad you gave her a chance. Welcome!:hug8:

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
We found that until they get a good handle on how to work with their special abilities that any entanglement hazards be removed. Thankfully before we were aware of this, we caught our BCC in a precarious situation and was able to get him out of it. We are especially aware of this with our baby grey. Now our BCC is very able bodied and can exist with the same toys as his flockmates.

It's great that you decided not to do what seem to be considered standard practice. We look at our sweet Zazu, can see he is thriving and love him to pieces.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Aww...Zuni is beautiful and so are you for taking such good care of her, striving to give her the best life possible. You will be amazed at how resilient she will become with your continued TLC. :hug8:

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue! That photo of Zuni is so precious. I too have a special-abled tiel, and she amazes me daily in her ability to get around and thrive so joyously despite her handicap. Many :hug8:s to you for being such an incredible parront to sweet Zuni.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Zuni is gorgeous..I am so glad you are giving her a second chance at life!!!!!

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Zuni is absoluely breathtaking.. :heart: A true little beauty.. :swoon:

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Zuni is adorable, and Im so glad you didnt put her down! A tiel with one leg can live a wonderful, happy, and fulfilling life, for sure. I had a sweet little tiel named Cinder who also had an amputated leg. She was 9 when we got her and we had her leg amputated shortly after that. She lived another five years, very happy and content, after that. We finally did have to have her put to sleep last summer because she developed arthritis in her good leg, and was clearly in pain, all the time, and ready to go. But, for five years, she did just great. The biggest thing to remember is that a one legged tiel spends all of her time on that one leg, with no ability to switch off and rest it. So, you need to pad all her perches, with something soft like a washcloth, and then some vet wrap or a paper towel or something over it, to keep her comfortable and avoid getting pressure sores on her good foot. Also some flat perches where she can "lay down" and rest if she wants to. My Cinder used to love to sit in a wicker basket, lined with a soft blanket, up on top of her cage. It was a way for her to take the weight off of her leg once in a while. I dont see any reason why Zuni would have to be in her cage any more often than she used to be. She will learn to get around in a way that will totally surprise you. :)
I used a 30x18x18 cage, and kept a baby receiving blanket on the bottom (over the grate) for padding and comfort. It worked well since climbing was hard for her and this cage wasnt tall.
I wish you the best with Zuni...I will be watching her progress with joy as you learn how to care for her. Enjoy her!:hug8:
Here are some photos of Cinder, on a padded perch, and on/in her basket. :)

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Awww...sweet Cinder. Hugs to you, Judi. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.