• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zons and Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I grew up on a farm and have had many pets, but I have never encountered any animal as easy to train as my BFA, Horatio. Are all zons like this? He caught on to recall training immediately. He has learned to fly back to his gym to poop. He does kisses, high fives, and a few other little tricks. His attitude seems to be "tell me what I need to do to get the pine nut today." Meanwhile, my BCC and my quaker consider "step up" a suggestion to be ignored nine times out of ten. What's your experience?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Sounds like he enjoys his training sessions.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I have found all the amazons I have encountered, and especially Coco who has been with me 14 years, to be exceptionally intelligent and quick to pick things up especially when paired with positive reinforcement learning that is implemented using a high value reinforcer (treat). ;)

Glowbird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
"High value reinforcer" in our house = pine nut.:D Robin, do Amazons continue to be fast learners as they age or do they slow down?

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
George the YCA was pretty quick at learning new things-- if they interested him. If not, then forget it. :) George lived to be roughly 70 years old, and continued to learn new things just as readily right through the last year of his life.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
"High value reinforcer" in our house = pine nut.:D Robin, do Amazons continue to be fast learners as they age or do they slow down?
As far as I can see, they never stop being quick learners. If anything, they speed up. The important thing is to establish a pattern and desire for learning. Once an amazon (or any bird for that matter) understands that you are trying to convey something you want them to learn, they are very quick.

For example, when Coco wants a treat or anything I have in my hand (or me, or my jewelry, or my clothing, etc.) she has already learned to raise her left foot. If she really wants it, she will curl her fingers. This is sign language that I taught her in essence... a way for her to communicate that she wants what I have. It is her cue to me. So if I have something like a piece of apple, and I ask her if she wants it, and she doesn't raise her foot, I walk away. Hmmm.... she sees this, and quickly realizes that she had best 'speak up' if she wants what I have, or I will walk away... and I do walk away. So the other day I had a treat, approached her and she put her foot up (aka 'wave'). Instead of giving her a treat, I said "pretty bird" (which she knows how to say). Naturally, she was a bit confused. She lifted her foot... I said pretty bird. I again asked her if she wanted the treat, and the 3rd time she lifted her foot, I said pretty bird. The 4th time I said pretty bird, she repeated it.

When she was done eating the treat, she saw I had another one, and she lifted her foot just by habit... I said pretty bird, and she immediately said pretty bird. That's how fast it is for her. Switching her to say a different word took 4 tries instead of 3, because of course she thought pretty bird would do the trick. She even tried saying pretty bird AND waving at the same time. She is very fast.

I spend my training resources on teaching her things that are means of communicating with me her wants and desires. While it is cute to see a bird wave, it is more meaningful if waving, taping her beak on something, moving to this perch, moving to that perch, etc., are things that she can learn will convey a message to me. And then through that message, I will respond accordingly. Just like if I approach her and she begins to turn away from me, I immediately retreat. She now has a means of telling me she doesn't desire interaction right now. So I spend my efforts teaching her sign language (which is really body language) that gives her a method of communicating with me, and the ability to affect my behavior. It is a very powerful relationship builder, and amazons are so excellent at showing meaning body language, that I feel that are exceptionally receptive at learning to read our body language as well as learn to use their own body language in ways we teach them in order to communicate meaningful information to us.

Glowbird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Robin, thanks so much for that information. I will try it. I'm hoping that training will help with the hormonal phase when Horatio reaches it. He is such an amazing bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.