• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoe RFM Update: It's LOVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, it's been a few days here with new girl Zoe, and she's starting to settle in. Here are a few things I've discovered as a new RFM owner:

1) She's a bit screechy. CUTE as the dickens but screechy. We're working on quiet time. :) She is a little better today.
2) She loves scritches and pets. She hasn't been here very long but has already been hitting me up for some lovins, which I have obliged her with.
3) She's a sneaky little thing. I was petting her, and she got one of my fingernails in her beak, and before I knew what had happened, *snick* off it came, and she was chewing on it. Bad Zoe!
4) She's in AWE of Elvis. Utter AWE. Max she couldn't care less about.
5) She is not a picky eater. She loves Roudybush, bananas, pine nuts, bird bread, whatever. She's a big eater, and I love to feed me some birdies. We're gonna get along fine :D

Here are some new pics. Sorry about the poor lighting, but it is gloomy here today, and I hate using the flash with her because it washes out the colors so much:

Attachments

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Aww I want her!
Could you get a video of the screeching? Is it really loud?
I'm still wondering LOL
How loud is it in a room with a closed door?

I'm so jealous!
I am trying to plan on bringing one home around next X-mas :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you get a video of the screeching? Is it really loud?
I'll try to get a video; right now, I'm trying to ignore her when she does it. Don't want to reinforce that behavior at ALL.

Yes, it's loud. Even with the door shut. Really loud. (Half B&G loud, but at least twice as loud as my Hahn's).

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I don't see how there could be a bird twice as loud as MY hahns LOL
Not when he's at his worst(or best) lol

I understand the not wanting to reinforce it, maybe you could take a video standing outside the room with the door shut and all. :p

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see how there could be a bird twice as loud as MY hahns LOL
Not when he's at his worst(or best) lol

I understand the not wanting to reinforce it, maybe you could take a video standing outside the room with the door shut and all. :p

Well, my B&G is at least 4 times as loud as my Hahn's, but she hardly ever screams. This little lady makes her feelings known :D

She's being nice and quiet right now, but the next time she starts in, I'll see if I can capture it, LOL.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
My friend has a B&G that screams only once every two weeks if that.
She has tried calling me when he starts up but he doesn't do it much.
So I have yet to hear it.

Honestly I would prefer that, louder but less. But I am just too hooked on RFMs lol.
Maybe I can hope for the best and ask for the least vocal yeah right lol

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly I would prefer that, louder but less. But I am just too hooked on RFMs lol.
Oh yes, I agree. Louder but less is the way to go. Elvis hasn't made a peep for at least four days.

I don't blame you for being hooked on RFMs. This birdie is as sweet as she can be. So endearing :heart:

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I do wonder when they are adults how often they are loud, loud, like louder than hahns.
And I wonder why they vocalize loudly more often than the other big guys.
I hear the mini-macs are loud alot more often but really Tiki isn't bad at all.

He is bad in the morning and makes me glad to go to work sometimes LOL
But the only other time he is loud is when me and my boyfriend argue and it shuts us up pretty fast LOL which is mostly a good thing.

I think I must have gotten lucky with him. Last two days he's been so quiet and sweet.:D

How old is Zoe?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is Zoe?
She is two years old.

I think a lot of it is how they are trained. If they are rewarded for being quiet, then they tend to be quieter. I think Zoe will eventually start to behave more like my other two macaws. She's already starting to pick up on other behaviors of theirs. :)

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Oooh I figured she was under a year since I hear about the babies being screechy.

I think she will learn to quiet down soon. :)
It might be a learned behavior,
Keep me updated if she gets a bit quieter.

I posted an add in my local craigslist to see if there were any around here I could meet but I doubt it :p

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
she is absolutely stunning..wow wow wow

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh, she is absolutely STUNNING. What a beautiful bird!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, here's a brief video that shows some of her behavior (of course, taking into account that she's still settling in):

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Awwww she is absolutely drop dead gorgeous!!!!!!!!

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I am gone for a few days and you go off and get a RFM I am so jealous! She is just beautiful!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do wonder when they are adults how often they are loud
Our Rosetta is 9 and she is not noisy at all even when the rest of the flock is loudly requesting dinner. Not sure if that is unusual for this age.

Holiday, she is beautiful, I am sure she will be fitting right in real soon.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Okay, here's a brief video that shows some of her behavior (of course, taking into account that she's still settling in
Nice video, Holiday. I don't really find the calls loud but I guess everyone has a different threshold. As long as they're not continuous I think you should be OK. She's really a doll! :hug8:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Zoe is just gorgeous! If I were to get a macaw, I think a RF is what I would have. She seems to be a perfect size.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't really find the calls loud but I guess everyone has a different threshold. As long as they're not continuous I think you should be OK. She's really a doll! :hug8:
Yes, they're not terribly loud, but in person, she is a bit louder than she seems on the video. And the first couple of days, the calls were frequent. She is settling in nicely now, though.

What does Elvis think of her?
Elvis doesn't like the calling (she was flinchy and nervous the first day that she was exposed to it), but other than that, she pretty much ignores her. I've been giving Elvis extra TLC, too :) Things get a little better every day. And Zoe thinks Elvis is the coolest--she imitates her, obviously admires her. It's like little sis and big sis. Overall, I think she and Elvis will be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.