• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Zippers?

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
So I was putting on a sweatshirt and Zorro put the little teeth on the sides in his mouth... I am terrified about heavy metal poisoning. So far he's fine, but... should I call the vet, or watch him? I don't think he ingested any of it, but still...

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
Thank you guys for responding... Zorro went to bed about an hour ago, and in that time was in my room with the door closed where he now sleeps. In a weird chain of events, I smelled something burning. My dishwasher was making a burning smell; something may have fallen into the heating element, not sure. I immediately made sure the door to the room with Zorro was closed, and opened a window and door to try and get the odor out. I've only used the dishwasher maybe twice before ... ugh.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So sorry, stressful when you own a feathered friend!

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
Thank you guys for responding... Zorro went to bed about an hour ago, and in that time was in my room with the door closed where he now sleeps. In a weird chain of events, I smelled something burning. My dishwasher was making a burning smell; something may have fallen into the heating element, not sure. I immediately made sure the door to the room with Zorro was closed, and opened a window and door to try and get the odor out. I've only used the dishwasher maybe twice before ... ugh.
I wouldn't be alarmed at the zipper or any occasional contact with something like metal. Even if it were zinc or lead or even cadmium. I doubt a touch to the beak would cause any harm, just like us touching lead bullets, zinc coated zippers, lead weights, etc will not harm us.

The burning dishwasher content is a bigger concern. Any vapors/fumes can be harmful to the sensitive respiratory system of a bird. Some vapors/fumes, such as PTFE, PFOA (non stick coatings) are significantly toxic, but..so is burning butter, oils, essential oils, plastic melting (can release plasticizers and even formaldehyde.)

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
He went to the vet yesterday; lungs and heart sounded fine, gram stain was normal. She didn't do bloodwork as he was pretty stressed out from the car ride there and that could easily affect the blood results. He weighed 80g, which is apparently a little on the chunky side, but he had good muscle mass.

I haven't used the dishwasher since and the smell has gone completely. I'm well aware of the dangers of fumes, which is why I quickly opened the windows/doors to get the odor out. Will be putting in a maintenance request for the dishwasher soon.

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
He went to the vet yesterday; lungs and heart sounded fine, gram stain was normal. She didn't do bloodwork as he was pretty stressed out from the car ride there and that could easily affect the blood results. He weighed 80g, which is apparently a little on the chunky side, but he had good muscle mass.

I haven't used the dishwasher since and the smell has gone completely. I'm well aware of the dangers of fumes, which is why I quickly opened the windows/doors to get the odor out. Will be putting in a maintenance request for the dishwasher soon.
Pentameter,
Just check the dishwasher yourself first. More than likely something fell thru that is plastic or some type of food or food wrapper and it is burning on the water heating element. It is an easy fix if so.