• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zip tie warning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I feel so so stupid and horrible right now. Puck is at the vets getting two stitches on his little belly because I did something stupid. I have a busy basket in his cage and I cut the zip tie down because he kept chewing at it and I was scared he'd eat the plastic or swallow it. Well this morning it looks like he landed on it (he doesn't land he control crashes) or fell on it and it put a cut right on his keel. DO NOT CUT ZIP TIES!!! Or if you do crimp the end maybe or smooth them out?? I didn't even think the edge where I cut was that sharp!!!! Pucks at the vets now and getting seen too. I feel awful. :( I knew how clumsy he was and just didn't think. All the baskets I've have or made are being cut off now until I can find another option.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,poor Puck. I'm so sorry that,he got hurt. Sending you and him many :hug8:

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
So sorry. Accidents do happen. I use baby links for baskets... Sending lots of hugs for both of you:hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh wow how scary! I will have to check my zip tie spots :( good thoughts for puck!

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw Puck! I hope it is minor and he's not in pain. That is a good warning. :hug8:

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
I'm so sorry Kristen:hug8: I hope the little guy will be ok soon :hug8: sending lots of positive energy your way

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
That's what I thought Danita. :( With the way he lands and plays until he falls off stuff I should have really thought. He pretty much CRASHES at whatever he wants to land on. Trust Puck (heart attack causer extraordinaire) to find a way to cut himself on it. He has a gash right on his keel about a third of an inch long.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Oh no! Poor Puck! I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you for the warning.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

I am going home to check my basket on my lunch, I hope Puck feels better soon and remember it was an accident:hug8:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
NOT your fault mom!!!!! You clipped the zip tie to protect him. This was a freak accident that you had no idea would happen. I'm sure Puck is going to give you many more heart attacks over the years.;) Get well soon Puck and Kristen, you go rest and try to relax while he's at the vet.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Kristen do not feel bad. I never would have anticipated this but thank you for sharing so we can possibly avoid the same problem. :hug8:

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Poor little Puck! :hug8:Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check cages and replace a few zip ties.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'm just glad Dr. Burton was so effing amazing since Dr. M is about an hour away with traffic. I went in and wasn't positive what had cut him or if a cat had someone gotten past things so they RUSHED me in with him and he was absolutely reassuring about what they were going to do and why. I have an emergency vet but his hours are staggered at the clinic, I think I'm going to change to this doctor. A little further, but he impressed me. I'm going to call my vet and tell him what happened to be SURE folks know. I'm still worked up. I'm just glad it didn't hit his eye or something. I just called off work with a little white lie since I don't think I'll get any sleep after this.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I wonder if the zip ties are melted that would make them smoother.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I wonder if the zip ties are melted that would make them smoother.
That's a great idea! I bet they would be since the plastic would melt down rounded. A lot better then filing.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Poor Puck. Saying prayers for a quick recovery. :hug8:

Danita, I would think melting the ties would cause them to become harder after they cool but it might be ok since they'd be more rounded. :shrug:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Did you have the basket hooked with the zip tie to the inside of the cage or the outside? Mine was hooked to the outside of the back of the cage but we took the backet out til we think of a safer way to hang it. Thanks so much for this warning. You never know when you think an item is safe only to hurt a fid.

Status
Not open for further replies.