• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ziggys foot

animallover

Jogging around the block
Hi all! As many of you know I rescued a crimson bellied conure back in March who had a old broken leg that had healed back non-functional. It happened while he was with the breeder before I rescued him and was never treated. My avian vet x-rayed it and said it couldn't be surgically repaired because of the type of fracture it was and it was broken in several places and had healed incorrectly. The best to be expected was he would not be able to use it or amputate it. I choose to give him a chance and see how it went. Here are some pictures before and after. This morning to my surprise he is now using the foot and leg after 2 1/2 months of me doing some physical therapy and range of motion to it several times a day. I just wanted to share the joy! What a wonderful gift Ziggy has given me. Thank you Bird God! Ziggy eating again 011.jpg Ziggy eating again 013.jpg Ziggy eating again 020.jpg Ziggys foot 004.jpg Ziggys foot 005.jpg Ziggys foot 006.jpg Ziggys foot 007.jpg

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
WOW he is looking great the perches seem to be helping him is that true? I mean it is not totally normal but it really has no effect on him perching I mean his toes go around the perch that is awesome . OH and I have to admit he is a handsome boy..:D

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Bless his heart, how wonderful!
Thank-you for working with him!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awwe...you may want to start giving him cherries and thinking about arthritis stuff with all those past breaks. :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:bounce1:You go Ziggy boy!! You have made your Dad so very happy. Good idea on the cherries. The juice helps so much with inflammation in humans and birds. He is so so cute too. You can see his coloring maturing well. :) I bet he will continue to get stronger. http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww16eii.htm

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great! Matt

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
aww poor little guy/leg (shameful breeder!!) he is precious and he looks great on his perch. :heart:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ron, this is so awesome!!!!:dance4: Kudos to you and little Ziggy! Keep up the good work! You are a wonderful daddy!:D

GinnyK

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ginny
:cheer:That is fantastic progress!!! :hug8:
And :giveme5: to you dad, for the patience, perseverance and love to help him overcome :heart:

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Wow! He looks like he is doing great! Thank you for believing and working with this little one.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
fantastic!!!!!!!!:dancing:

animallover

Jogging around the block
Thank you all for your very kind words. Yes I am very proud of Ziggy and the progress he has made. He is a real little trooper! It makes me so happy to see him be able to stand on that foot and leg and hold food in it while he eats. Something he has not been able to do for the 2 1/2 months that I have had him. The love and therapy really helped him. Again thanks so much! He is finally becoming a normal little boy!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
That awesome, looks like he's adapting well and using it almost like normal in the last shots:dance4: We had a rescued house finch that Nerd bit on the foot and we tried to massage out the toes that had curled up like that and it helped but she was fast so it was hard to catch her to keep doing it so they stayed curled but she did fine just the same. Looks like he lets you work the foot and it's helped loosen up the tendons and things so he can work them. Keep up the good work and I bet he'll be almost back to normal considering the damage done:laughing12:

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
Oh how wonderful! Such progress! You must have the right touch! I would personally be too paranoid of using too much pressure or bending something the wrong way and hurting the little guy.

I agree with Brandy, send those pics to the vet who said this couldn't be done! =D

briabelletee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bria
He is so beautiful, i love these guys! Im so glad he is doing so well for you!

Buckbeak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Ron!! :eek: I am shocked! I would have never thought progress like that could be made on an old break. Great job, and I'm sure Ziggy appreciates your dedication more than you know

animallover

Jogging around the block
Again thanks all for your very kind words. Yes I am very happy that the love and therapy has made a big difference. Ziggy is becoming a normal little fella. See love does conquer all............again thanks all.