• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zeke

Status
Not open for further replies.

henpecked

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Richard
Did the vet flavor the Batril ? Tried putting it on a piece of bread ?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to read he's sick. Baytril is vial tasting stuff. I have an older male amazon that gets irritated sinuses once in a while. Every few years it progresses into an infection and I have to medicate him. Its never a pleasant ordeal. Oscar is not tame and wants to kill me. Needless to say medicating Oscar is a religious experience. Please God make it so I get the meds into this bird and we both have all our body parts still attached when its all over. LOL.

I've never had much luck getting meds into them without having to towel them and force the issue. They tend to refuse it on treats. My one quaker that I hand-fed was willing to take it from a syringe mixed with formula. Otherwise, in order to be assured the full dose, I've always had to towel them. You don't want to prolong this unnecessarily so its important to get the full dose into them each time even if that means you have to be evil and towel them. Being nice with sweet talk and only getting a partial dose into them tends to mean you all end up more stressed longer if a second round of meds is needed. I wouldn't wait for him to be in a good mood. Bite the bullet and get the job done. IMO. Try the nice way a few times just to see if it works and if it doesn't scoop him up and make him take it kicking and screaming if necessary.

Make sure to follow up on this. They can have antibiotic resistance problems, so if the first round doesn't clear it up, I'd say spring for the full culture and sensitivity weather the vet thinks its needed or not. That way you make sure to get him on the right drug.
Melissa

lindsey88

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
lindsey
In the future maybe suggest what my vet does. He grabs the towel and then flips the light off and throws it over the bird. Poor Yoshi hates men.

Status
Not open for further replies.