• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Zeek broke a nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It happened while I was at work. It is not bleeding now but he is in obvious pain...pacing, nipping me (drawing blood on me), holding the foot up. I only see two small drops of blood on the cage bottom. I got home too late to get him to my vet, but called the after hours vet. They said to watch him. The foot and toe look and feel fine. He does not flinch if I press them and he is walking okay and scratching himself, but periodically holding the foot up. I feel awful seeing him in pain. Is there anything I can do for him? I hate to see him in pain. :(

Attachments

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww, bet it hurts a little, if you have some cayenne pepper you can make a little paste with water and apply, it may help with the discomfort and support healing.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you. I can go to the store and get some. Is there any specific type? I am scared of breaking the clot off also. I called the emergency vet, but they said just to watch him. I also emailed his vet tonight. I just hate to see hurt.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it is clotting already you won't need the paste, I would just follow your vet's advice.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, if it is clotting already, then you wont need the paste....a vet will be able to advise what to do with it...poor guy! and I would definitely take him in to have it looked at.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Poor Zeek. Sending healing thoughts to heal fast.:heart:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you! He seems a little better this AM. He bit me pretty hard a couple times. I'm not sure if this is him being a caique or if it is the pain. Anyway, his vet emailed and said he should be fine and that it will hurt for 24-48 hours. I think I will bring him in this weekend anyway for a checkup. Thank you again!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I have seen on here the use of the Cayenne pepper and when I was at a seminar with Dr Susan Clubb I asked her about using it and she was a little baffled by it. She had never heard of using that on wounds and such. Her concern also, with it being a pepper, if it is not causing pain to the tissues.

I don't have any in the house, but has someone ever put it on a wound they had and if so, did it burn/painful? I know Quick-Stop has been used for years to stop bleeding on nails but when people said it burned when applied, I won't use that stuff around here. No wonder dogs and birds don't like getting their nails cut if we put stuff on that hurts them.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have used quick stop for many years. If applied on skin, it does burn. My last scare was Korbel's blood feather in his tail. He ripped it out and it was bleeding everywhere. What do you do? I grabbed the quick stop and dump. Now the ordeal is over and my bird is preening the bloody quick stop clotted junk out of his tail. That is really bad to ingest. So worried I washed it all off and it started up again. Luckily I had posted about it and was told cayenne next time. Worked great and no worries cleaning it off. I had to put it on Maui last week, works no different except no worries.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I have used quick stop for many years. If applied on skin, it does burn. My last scare was Korbel's blood feather in his tail. He ripped it out and it was bleeding everywhere. What do you do? I grabbed the quick stop and dump. Now the ordeal is over and my bird is preening the bloody quick stop clotted junk out of his tail. That is really bad to ingest. So worried I washed it all off and it started up again. Luckily I had posted about it and was told cayenne next time. Worked great and no worries cleaning it off. I had to put it on Maui last week, works no different except no worries.
I use corn starch and apply some pressure with my fingers or a towel if necessary. You can use flour too but the corn starch works better. I have also heard to rub a bar of soap on a nail as that will stop it too but I have never had to try that.

Yes, eating that quick stop would be a no-no too.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

I use corn starch and apply some pressure with my fingers or a towel if necessary. You can use flour too but the corn starch works better. I have also heard to rub a bar of soap on a nail as that will stop it too but I have never had to try that.

Yes, eating that quick stop would be a no-no too.
I have heard corn starch or flour too. What I also like about the cayenne is it fights bacteria and is also a pain reliever. Not sure about the nail and soap :hehe: to much stuff during 911. "Honey get me a bar or soap and a nail" :rofl:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I've used cayenne pepper on my own wounds. Last fall, I mangled the index finger on my left hand pretty badly with the immersion blender (stupid!) The cuts were all the way to the bone, with several cuts through the fingernail. I made a paste of cayenne and put it into all the cuts (not a pleasant process, but mostly due to the pressure on the flesh rather than the pepper, I think), and bandaged it. No infection, and it healed beautifully. I didn't have any feeling in the tip of the finger for a couple of months, but the nerves have regenerated, and now it's completely back to normal. The nail is even back to normal, even though I had been pretty sure I was going to lose it entirely. I'm a believer in the stuff.

I used it on Ziggy when he broke a blood feather, and the only problem I had was trying to get it on his tail - he wanted to eat it instead. He ended up eating a spoonful out of my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.