• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra fmch questions

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
So, Zebra finches.
How easy is it/is it possible to hand tame them?
Do they need out of cage time and how much?
What type/size cage and toys do they need?
Do they chew?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
It is possible to hand tame tHem I had one of them come over by name it takes a lot of time I never gave mine out time but some do

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It is possible to hand tame tHem I had one of them come over by name it takes a lot of time I never gave mine out time but some do
You must have more time or patience than me! (I know: patience)

I have never hand tamed any and I’ve had a lot of finches. My friends who have tamed them say just handle them a lot.

You can give out of cage time, but they are happy in the cage. If you don’t do out of cage, the cage needs to be a minimum of 30 inches wide, don’t skimp on that. More is better. A lot of people get 2 30x18 cages, remove sides, and connect them to make 60” of flying room.

If you do give out of cage time, put food and water in the cage with the door open and they *usually will go back in at sundown.

They don’t chew. They will pull and tug on things they find interesting (raffia, the fake plants in the cage). They love swings and swinging on small toys. Also like ladders. They can be entertained with a small box of paper shreds or hay, or clean grass.

I set up cages with fake plants to give them a feeling of security, a swing, a tube drinker, and several feeders (for seed, fresh food, and pellet food). This cage houses non-zebras — this is a star finch, and there’s a cage mate also. There is a rope perch (picture) on one end, and a tree branch at the other.
1EB558D9-3EB5-46CD-AD8A-F9D1ECE39631.jpeg

8B91ED2C-EC5F-4D6E-BF71-1882CD844F74.jpeg

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
So, Zebra finches.
Do they chew?
I say its pretty hard! They're very little and very skittish naturally. But its not impossible!
Usually unless you get one from very early age a.k.a. you hand raise them yourself, they will not be tame...

About letting them out, its not necessary if they live in a large cage, but the more exercise they get the better. Plus I usually use that time to bond with my bird: put their favorite food in a dish on a table near you while you read a book or fiddle your phone. They get tempted to eat

Canaries on the other hand, are rather easier by comparison due to their long domestication, and rather fondness for food haha

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
So, Zebra finches.
Do they chew?
Toys... im sorry to say but theyre not the most intelligent of birds. Theyre not curious to trinkly toys like parrots do.
Mine loves their swing though!!
And i often offer different types of greens and grass seed for them to forage.

Chew? Nope. Very peaceful :) my baby loves nibbling my hair tho haha.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don't do finches, but best of luck if you decide to get one!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have one finch who is human curious, but not hand tame. I will write more in a few hours just about to drive to work.

My human curious finch sings to me and follows me around the house. He probably had unique experience compared to average finches. He was dumped on a vets door step with a broken wing. Then he was sent to the RSPCA and was all alone :(

I adopted that little guy. He is named Zippy. He now has a friend and enrichment. I think possibly in his rescue and adoption experience he found humans to be kind. So he sings to me and enjoys watching humans. That is enough for me. :cloud9:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ok Sorry for the delay :)

I wanted to expand on what Finchly shared. Finches are very pragmatic. They don't use toys in the same manner as parrots. That said they do benefit from challenges and opportunities to explore. I think vertical perches are critical as it gives them more ankle rotation and helps build strength. I will attach a cool pic I found online just to give you the idea. For enrichment I give my finches bird safe live plants. They do destroy the plant, eventually killing it. However they spend hours ripping the leaves and considering which to build with. It gives them something to challenge themselves. I keep males, I don't have a risk of a population explosion, so I don't stop my boys from building nests. They will craft projects all day long and jettison the nest to try again. Peppy, my other finch, has very high nest crafting standards. In terms of chewing, they don't chew like parrots, but they seem to enjoying picking at bark, natural branches should be used. I provide some fresh greens daily, with pea shoots being the absolute most popular. I mix it up sometimes, but a lot of the veggies are ignored. -Pea Shoots however are devoured. Bathing is another helpful enrichment, I offer a bath daily in a shallow dish on the bottom of their cage. They simply love bathing. Probably because in the Outback water is a treasure, so they have evolved to really appreciate fresh water. Zebra finches can starve very quickly. I personally use a feeding tower with a perch on opposite sides. They can fight over feed access so having multiple feeders or lots of feeding ports helps. I think you just need to be clever and base it off your own flock size.

I do not think hand taming is a good reason to consider a finch. I have seen some cool youtube channels of hand tame finches, but these are exceptions and not the norm. Finches are tiny birds, around 12g, so imagine a hand tame finch and a human blunder. Even with the best intention we out scale them to an extreme degree. I think it is better to focus on building trust and letting them be around you, but not touching unless there is a good reason to. ei. taking them to the Vet, etc. As said earlier, Zippy is very human curious. He gets excited to see me in the morning, which he expresses by hopping in little circles and cheeping. He sings his courtship song to me and when he is free flying he follows me landing on surfaces near me to watch. He finds computer screens interesting and will look over my shoulder. :) Anyway I hope my experiences with my zebras gives you an idea.

zebra-finch-2560x1440-bird-5k-16170.jpg

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Thank
Ok Sorry for the delay :)

I wanted to expand on what Finchly shared. Finches are very pragmatic. They don't use toys in the same manner as parrots. That said they do benefit from challenges and opportunities to explore. I think vertical perches are critical as it gives them more ankle rotation and helps build strength. I will attach a cool pic I found online just to give you the idea. For enrichment I give my finches bird safe live plants. They do destroy the plant, eventually killing it. However they spend hours ripping the leaves and considering which to build with. It gives them something to challenge themselves. I keep males, I don't have a risk of a population explosion, so I don't stop my boys from building nests. They will craft projects all day long and jettison the nest to try again. Peppy, my other finch, has very high nest crafting standards. In terms of chewing, they don't chew like parrots, but they seem to enjoying picking at bark, natural branches should be used. I provide some fresh greens daily, with pea shoots being the absolute most popular. I mix it up sometimes, but a lot of the veggies are ignored. -Pea Shoots however are devoured. Bathing is another helpful enrichment, I offer a bath daily in a shallow dish on the bottom of their cage. They simply love bathing. Probably because in the Outback water is a treasure, so they have evolved to really appreciate fresh water. Zebra finches can starve very quickly. I personally use a feeding tower with a perch on opposite sides. They can fight over feed access so having multiple feeders or lots of feeding ports helps. I think you just need to be clever and base it off your own flock size.

I do not think hand taming is a good reason to consider a finch. I have seen some cool youtube channels of hand tame finches, but these are exceptions and not the norm. Finches are tiny birds, around 12g, so imagine a hand tame finch and a human blunder. Even with the best intention we out scale them to an extreme degree. I think it is better to focus on building trust and letting them be around you, but not touching unless there is a good reason to. ei. taking them to the Vet, etc. As said earlier, Zippy is very human curious. He gets excited to see me in the morning, which he expresses by hopping in little circles and cheeping. He sings his courtship song to me and when he is free flying he follows me landing on surfaces near me to watch. He finds computer screens interesting and will look over my shoulder. :) Anyway I hope my experiences with my zebras gives you an idea.

View attachment 358554
Thank you for the extra-long reply! When they are out of the cage, if they are not hand tame how do you get them to go back in the cage?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank

Thank you for the extra-long reply! When they are out of the cage, if they are not hand tame how do you get them to go back in the cage?

Leave the food in the cage. They will return for food than close them back in. It works :) also placing a perch outside of door helps so they can slowly exit and easily find the door to return. I do think a large aviary / cage is acceptable.

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Thank

Never had that to be a problem :) always leave their main food in the cage such as seed, and water. Outside I can offer my birds fruits and veggies in small dish.
If they're still hesitant to come back I play zebra finch calls on youtube on my phone and put it close to the cage. They. Will. Come. Back.! :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I usually go for Australian Natives. Little zebras are from here so why not :)

These are some natives: Australian native plants: the essential guide

I cross reference with some other sites to make sure they are on the safe list.