• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra finches?

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Hi! So my grandparents are moving in with my family and me. My 90 year old grandmother absolutely loves watching my birds. So I was thinking about getting some Zebra finches from their apartment in our house. I am thinking about Zebra finches because my friends had them and they were always so active, talkative, and cheerful! I’ve never owned them so I kinda need some info. I do own a lot of parakeets and a cockatiel. First is it a good idea to get my grandmother some birds? I would be caring for them. Next, What does a healthy diet look like for them? Can I feed them the vegetable chop I make for my other birds or something else? How many birds should I get minimum? What are essential things to put in their cage? Should they have free flight time? Also do you all suggest Zebra finches or another kind of finch? Thank you all so much in advance! Advice is greatly appreciated! PLEASE tell me anything else you think I should know!

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
I have zero experience in finches but I do know that yes, you can feed them chop and fruits (except for poisonous ones) and they can eat pellets as well. Maybe @finchly could give you more accurate information.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hopefully Finchly can give you some good advice. @fashionfobie has a pair of zebra finches and can maybe help you :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hello @Pippa!

I wouldn't consider myself a Zebra Finch expert. I only have my two and they are pets, but I can give you some advice that helped me with my pet zebras :)

I was told that you either want 2 birds or 6+. If keep 3 one can get singled out- 4 and they pair the two groups can fight- 5 one is singled out.. 6+ there are enough birds for social dynamics to not be as polarised. Zebras have babies easily and you will easily have a whole house full of them if you don't take care in which birds you place together. Male Zebra have the orangy cheeks- some mutations have slightly different hues- but females will not have coloured cheek patches. If you keep a pair male/female you shouldn't give them a nest or anything they could make into a nest. They really can have large clutches and it is not an exaggeration that you could end up with more birds than you can handle (hundreds), so please mind this advice.

I keep two males, one was a rescue and he has a bad wing. The other I got from a breeder but looked for a relaxed bird who would be patient with bird who can't fly as well. You want to do your best to select birds that have a similar personality. If one bird is a very active go getter, get both birds that are active go getters- a more timid/placid bird with a more active bird can be stressful over the long term. That said if you keep 6+ than they can figure out who they like on their own and the personality matching is less of your responsibility.

For diet they require seeds. They should have access to a finch seed mix 24/7. I also give them a leafy veg to pick at -they really enjoy pea shoots- but this is more for enrichment than diet. Seeds are their food! Too much veg can give them loose stools. Ensure that you have as many food ports or dishes as you do birds and possibly even an extra dish - so if 2 birds 2-3 eating ports or dishes. You don't want one bird to control the food supply.

The males sing often and I enjoy their little voices. Very bright and chirpy :) Though not everyone likes them, and some find their voices a bit annoying- so check with your grandmother and ensure she enjoys their song. Females do not sing to the same talent as the males.

My two makes sing all the time and each one has a unique song. It is wonderful. Keeping males together is easiest for me. They are very close friends now, and preen each other and do activities together. I hope my experience helps give you some guidance.

Last edited:

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Hello @Pippa!

I wouldn't consider myself a Zebra Finch expert. I only have my two and they are pets, but I can give you some advice that helped me with my pet zebras :)

I was told that you either want 2 birds or 6+. If keep 3 one can get singled out- 4 and they pair the two groups can fight- 5 one is singled out.. 6+ there are enough birds for social dynamics to not be as polarised. Zebras have babies easily and you will easily have a whole house full of them if you don't take care in which birds you place together. Male Zebra have the orangy cheeks- some mutations have slightly different hues- but females will not have coloured cheek patches. If you keep a pair male/female you shouldn't give them a nest or anything they could make into a nest. They really can have large clutches and it is not an exaggeration that you could end up with more birds than you can handle (hundreds), so please mind this advice.

I keep two males, one was a rescue and he has a bad wing. The other I got from a breeder but looked for a relaxed bird who would be patient with bird who can't fly as well. You want to do your best to select birds that have a similar personality. If one bird is a very active go getter, get both birds that are active go getters- a more timid/placid bird with a more active bird can be stressful over the long term. That said if you keep 6+ than they can figure out who they like on their own and the personality matching is less of your responsibility.

For diet they require seeds. They should have access to a finch seed mix 24/7. I also give them a leafy veg to pick at -they really enjoy pea shoots- but this is more for enrichment than diet. Seeds are their food! Too much veg can give them loose stools. Ensure that you have as many food ports or dishes as you do birds and possibly even an extra dish - so if 2 birds 2-3 eating ports or dishes. You don't want one bird to control the food supply.

The males sing often and I enjoy their little voices. Very bright and chirpy :) Though not everyone likes them, and some find their voices a bit annoying- so check with your grandmother and ensure she enjoys their song. Females do not sing to the same talent as the males.

My two makes sing all the time and each one has a unique song. It is wonderful. Keeping males together is easiest for me. They are very close friends now, and preen each other and do activities together. I hope my experience helps give you some guidance.
Oh my! Thanks so much!!!!!! This is a perfect guide!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@fashionfobie thank you for that advice. Letting the cat out of the bag here but I'm kinda inheriting a M/F pair from a neighbour. It may not be a permanent arrangement.
They're currently with the vet being screened, and eating finch seed, top's pellets and cooked chop.
It's looking good.
Sssssshhhhhhh, keep it quiet :rofl:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
For the record cats and bags both shouldn't mix with precious zebras :wacky: :lol: :heart2:

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Zebra finches are gorgeous birbs. Hope you get a couple (or more ;) )!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Usually I don’t recommend birds as gifts but it sounds like a perfect grandparent gift.

You can and should feed veggies as well as healthy grains and sprouts to your finches. Lately I’ve been growing little wheatgrass kits for mine, they love it.

Be sure to put a swing in their cage, they love them.

What else… fashionfobie covered most of it. No nests, unless you want to be overrun by them.