• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra finches? Your Experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Hi, I was just thinking and wondered how often have people gotten a pair of Zebra finches that just wouldn't take to each other? How many times have you had to re pair them for them to bond with another finch? How long did it take for them to breed? I have 2 pairs of Zebra finches.

Pair one are pieds. They are building their nest. The male sings to the female and shakes his tail extremely fast, but the female just looks at him and continues doing whatever she was doing. They preen each other, eat together, and sleep together. I guess I just want to make sure their on the right track.

Pair 1

Pair two is a Chestnut flanked white female and a normal grey male. They haven't really built their nest. They chew the nesting material and sometimes mess with the bedding i put in their nest. The male sings to the female and the female hunches down and shakes her tail really fast, but the male just looks at her and nudges her towards the nest then she hops to a different perch.

Pair 2

I'm fascinated with zebra finches and would like to hear different experiences with breeding them. Any input would be great.

Thank you.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
They are adorable and easy to breed. Just get a nest and some nesting string and thru will set up house in no time.

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Each pair have their own cage and a nest. The pied pair are building their nest but the other pair just sleep in it.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Do you give them egg food? I also gave mine mashed cooked peas and broccoli. The egg food I hear helps get them stimulated for breading. I did not know this when I had Zebra finches and were raising them but I made some mashes for them with cous cous so they would be able to regurgitate easier when feeding babies. They are very pretty birds in your photos.

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Thank you. I was giving them mashed hard boiled eggs but I need to get more. I seen the male try to mount the female but he flew off because she lost her balance.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How big is the cage? And how old are they?:)

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
I will post pictures if and when they do have chicks. Both pairs have separate cages which are about 2 1/2 feet long and 2 feet tall and 2 feet wide. I'm not sure of ages. I got each of them from different pet stores and none of the staff seemed to know anything about birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.