• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra Finch mutations & splits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Hi, I have a pair of Zebra finches and I was wondering what mutations and if their possibly split to anything. They have started to build their nest and I'm wondering what to expect. :) Here are a few pictures. Thank you.

Picture 077.jpg Picture 084.jpg Picture 082.jpg Picture 083.jpg

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
The male is a pied, and the female is a very light pied (white on the wing). If they are split to something, you cannot tell that by look at them. Split=non-visual. Most zebras have many mutations in their background. Hope this helps! They are cute :)

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Is it normal for the female to have a beige/tan stomach? I thought the normal greys had white feathers on their stomachs. Thank you.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, females will have a beige or cream stomach. Males will have brighter white stomachs. Her "teardrop" is black so that tells you she is not fawn.

Silhouette Singer

Meeting neighbors
Very pretty Zebras Tiffany. I only had one pair of regular Zebras Yours have such nice coloring and it's nice to know just what mutation they are. :)

I saw a pair of Zebras at the local PetCo. One was a black cheek (which I love) and the other was some mutation I never saw before. Her beak was silver...not orange and she had a mostly white head with just a little black behind her eyes and a brownish 'saddle' on her back. If I had the room I would have bought them. I should know better than to go look at finches when I can get any more right now...:rolleyes:

Libby&Zed

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gone
Thank, I noticed earlier today that the male has black on his cheek patch and on his flanks. The female has black smudges on her cheek patch and black line on her chest. Is this normal? here are a few pictures. The pictures aren't the best. You can see the black line on the female much clearer in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.