• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Zebra finch 2 black toes (sad update #12)

kats

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
Hi nice to meet you all. I have a zebra finch named filigree who I found stuck to a coconut hide 3 days ago. My husband cut away some string that must have cut off her circulation and we've been waiting to see if it'll heal. Toes are fully black now, and I know about the self amputation and he was waiting for that to happen. I am worried there's now an infection moving up her whole leg. I don't have alot of ian vets near me, I don't know how much this could cost to treat either, I have 200 put to the side for emergency animal issues (cat just had a 2000 surgery and took all my funds) that's really all I have. The one leg looks more swollen than her normal one. My husband is prepared to amputate the black toes himself (his father is an exotic vet halfway across America from us unfortunately) but I'm just so worried. Treat infection first then amputate? Or amputate then treat infection? Or hope that 200 is enough for a vet to do all this for me :'( stupid amazon bird toys

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry to hear about you bird. Yes, necrosis can spread and kill the bird, as can general infection. If you tell us the general area in which you live, someone may be able to help you find a veterinarian. I know that you said the United States, but a state would be helpful if you are looking.

kats

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
I am sorry to hear about you bird. Yes, necrosis can spread and kill the bird, as can general infection. If you tell us the general area in which you live, someone may be able to help you find a veterinarian. I know that you said the United States, but a state would be helpful if you are looking.
I'm in mount dora florida. I'm headed to my local vet that barely knows anything but dogs to at least get antibiotics started for her. Now that I think about it, she probably broke her poor leg trying to escape from that string on the hide. Maybe that's why it's swollen. She's still eating and drinking thankfully, but I feel so bad for her.

kats

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
Wanna hear something wild? My "exotic" vet just recommended euthanasia even though she's eating, drinking, flying, singing, and preening. If you can link me to a real avian vet I'd be so grateful.

kats

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
I just gave 0.01ml of baytril. I'm down to have the whole leg amputated if it'll stop sepsis

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I just gave 0.01ml of baytril. I'm down to have the whole leg amputated if it'll stop sepsis
So do you need/want help finding a veterinarian?

kats

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
So do you need/want help finding a veterinarian?
I did some research there's one an hour away that focuses birds so I'm going to call them on Monday. What should I do until they can see her? I have baytril and chlorhex wash for her leg. If you think my husband should just amputate it himself he will. His father is an advanced exotics vet who did surgery on a goldfish. I just want her to live. My vet the non exotics said she's very underweight at 14grams. I looked it up and zebra finches can be 10g to 30g so idk why she would say that? She's eating and drinking amd beeping :( I think this vet made me lose hope

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t mean to sound rude so please don’t take it that way.

I do not believe amputation at home is ever going to be a good idea.
Having a family member who works in a particular profession does not make an inexperienced untrained relative any more competent to undertake surgery.

Keep your bird warm and quiet and clean till you get to a qualified vet for help.

kats

Moving in
Real Name
Kat

Having a family member who works in a particular profession does not make an inexperienced untrained relative any more competent to undertake surgery.

Keep your bird warm and quiet and clean till you get to a qualified vet for help.
No I agree, that's why I stopped it! She is doing well still the baytril seems to be helping

kats

Moving in
Real Name
Kat

She's in surgery now at an amazing vet that works with the Audubon society! They are confident she will be okay :) I'm so happy I waited for this vet rather than listen to my first vet that said to euthanize. Yay!!!! Here's my beautiful girl (the all white zebra finch)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez