• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yuna

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would like to start this thread here to discuss ways of making life a little easier for Yuna. I have been looking at cages. And although we like to see Hawkheaded Parrots in huge cages, I think she might benefit from this one, as the bar spacing is smaller, and the whole top part folds down to a huge platform.
A&E Victorian Cage with storage 32x23 - VICTORIAN CAGES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

What other items do you use for birds with impairments of their feet? She has only one foot.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Have you introduced Yuna, or told her story?! I want to learn more about her!

I think that cage looks nice :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I like it esp the fold out platform. I am thinking of the corner shelves and flat perches she will be fine and of course a nice snuggle hut!

:heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thank you for bringing her into your life!!!!! have you thought of a rodent cage like the one we have for Maxwell?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Kacy, Claire, and Anne. What kind of cage is it Anne? Don't you have different cages there than we have here? I remember the girl with the IRN that had a huge beautiful cage she bought at a pet store!

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I like it esp the fold out platform. I am thinking of the corner shelves and flat perches she will be fine and of course a nice snuggle hut!

:heart:

I am interested to hear what all of you can come up with as I have Hope the baby grey with no feet coming soon:hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Just to throw my 2 cents in -
Take a look at the Midwest Ferret Nation cages. They are more horizontal space, all horizontal bars (easier to climb than vertical bars), and come with platforms and ladders. Plus a nice huge door. You can stack and join units vertically if you want, or just use one.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Those ferret nation cages appear to be great, definitely have a look into them!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

I am interested to hear what all of you can come up with as I have Hope the baby grey with no feet coming soon:hug8:
My Avian Vet has a resident grey with no feet only nubs. She has plenty of flat perches and you can pm Gibsongrl as she works there and sees her daily.

I think their beak allows more mobility than we think it can.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Birds without a foot will put the leg between the bars as they use their beak and other foot to pull them up. Because of the method they use for moving I prefer at least 1 inch bar spacing. Wood platforms are great resting places. Grapevine branches with narly "arms" are great as the perch with the good food and rest the stump on the upward part of the grapevine. They also can balance on that stump and use the good food to hold food. The grapevine perches are sometimes Y shape. The stand on part of the Y and rest their tail on the other half which helps with balance. Give them room to climb bars and don't overdue with toys on their travel pathway. They get around and can move fast. The one accommadation I made was making little pillow cases to go over a couple of smaller platforms. There was padding underneath. My CAG with no feet loved perching there. The pillow cases could be easily washed.

Wishing you the best Carol. You have a great companion coming to you. (now get well baby)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Are the ferret/rodent cages powder coated? You still have to keep bird safety in mind.
This would be my biggest concern also. Even if they are, I wonder if they worry whether or not there is toxic metals. Plus they are so low to the ground.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Actually it is powder coated and safe for birds according to a breeder I know who researched them and is using them for her birds. I would suggest you give them a call with any questions, they sound like they are responsive. I saw them personally and was very impressed by the quality.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Actually it is powder coated and safe for birds according to a breeder I know who researched them and is using them for her birds. I would suggest you give them a call with any questions, they sound like they are responsive. I saw them personally and was very impressed by the quality.
I have been tempted a few times to get one. I love how the full door opens!

Peggy

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Does Yuna actually have issues with mobility due to the foot? I wouldn't get a smaller cage just assuming she's going to have problems. My little Pi budgie has only one leg, and even the foot on there is deformed and he still has no issue with perching. I started with platforms and rope perches that would be wider than for a normal budgie so they were more flat for him, but now he's even on regular budgie perches with the rest of them. I kept him flighted so he doesn't have to climb; he can fly from perch to perch, and he does use ladders a lot also.

The only modification to a cage I felt I had to make was placing something over the grate so his foot wouldn't fall through as he tried to hop across it. So there's foam, wrapped in fleece, covered in a nylon lining that I can shake out or wash. I don't know that you'd have to go that soft, but I did bc of Twinkie (RIP) and Max with a broken wing also sharing the cage.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I would like to start this thread here to discuss ways of making life a little easier for Yuna. I have been looking at cages. And although we like to see Hawkheaded Parrots in huge cages, I think she might benefit from this one, as the bar spacing is smaller, and the whole top part folds down to a huge platform.
A&E Victorian Cage with storage 32x23 - VICTORIAN CAGES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

What other items do you use for birds with impairments of their feet? She has only one foot.
Sorry first my hats off to you 18,000 posts we should be asking you the guru for help not you us. Sorry I have no info but I bow to you great AA forum poster. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.