• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your thoughts on having just one bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm 99% sure that after one of my babies pass I will have just 1 bird from now on. Am I a bad person for wanting it to be this way?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
No, not at all...you need to do what is right for you. I couldn't do it though...I like at least two of everything! LOL!

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I don't think there is anything wrong with it. VooDoo was an only bird for his entire life, and he was a happy, healthy, well adjusted little angel:heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think it depends on the bird. Some really do great as being a single bird. Others really love others as companions. Opa really misses Bokka. Once health tests are done, I'm getting Opa a U2 girlfriend.:) Moby on the other hand would like to be a single cockatoo. Mera likes everyone :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In all honesty, I don't think it would work well for me or my flock. I used to think one parrot was just fine but not anymore.

They may not get along but they have each other for company when I am away at work or out and about. They also create distraction and entertainment for each other. I'd even go so far as to say that they learn from each other too.

It's more work but it's a much better atmosphere in my opinion because they are such social creatures.:)

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Personally, I am completely against it unless the bird in question is a bird aggressive species who does better alone. For most birds though, nothing fills the need for bird companionship. If human companionship was enough for them, then why do WE crave social interaction from fellow people? Few people would enjoy life with solely dogs.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Not at all! :hug8:I think it depends on the person and the number of birds that they are able to manage to care for both, financially, and emotionally. Also, if you feel that one bird will be fine as an only bird, and doesn’t need a friend, there isn’t any harm in that. There are quite a lot of people with just one bird and they (owner and bird) do just fine. ;)

Just because one person is able to care for 5+ birds, it doesn’t mean someone else can, and it doesn’t make either person bad.

GlassOnion

I think that just because a bird will do 'fine' alone, it does not mean that he would want that lifestyle if he had a say.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I think it depends on the bird and the situation. For example, Biscuit is ALL about Rocco. Rocco totally ignores her and doesn't even seem to know she's alive (except when they contact call). I really feel Rocco would be fine being an only bird. He just wants me, me, me! all the time.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I don't think it's a bad thing at all if you spend time with your bird and they're happy and well socialized.

That being said, I'm finding it hard for me to only have one bird... my desire to have a medium/large fid is getting really strong

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
I really do think it depends on the bird. Though I can't seem to be happy with "just one"...today I actually resisted a gorgeous baby cinnamon green cheek in the pet store I went to to pick up CC's food. He was adorable and tiny but he looked a little sleepy and was practically sitting in his water dish. I figured maybe he wasn't well and didn't even ask about a price -- *PROUD* -- but now I feel bad, maybe I could have made him happier....

Also I keep steering clear of CL and Kijiji. Right now there's a 10 month old, fully weaned GW girl listed. A GW is my dream bird. But I keep telling myself I don't have the room for a bird that size.

CC and Dovey are totally different in that way. Dovey just wants to be near CC, whereas she wants to be alone. I think if I got her a mate or friend she'd probably pick on him/her. But she seems to like my company (as long as I keep my distance).

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I don't think Merlin would want to share us w/another bird. He's very jealous of any attention to the dog, & I wouldn't want to damage our relationship w/another bird. If I thought he was unhappy alone, I would rethink this.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I dont want people to "hate" me for only wanting one bird,but especially in Nala's case thats what I should have done.

But what about people that have enough money to afford to spoil their 1 bird,and have enough for any type of emergency but not enough without pinching pennies to afford the constant cost of a second parrot. What would you have them do in that case? Should they be condemmed because they can't afford to add a 2nd parrot?

I just dont know how to feel about this,in my heart I know that Nala was happier as an only bird. But like others have said I know a future bird might not feel like this.

Last edited:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
She may feel jealous of a bird in similar size. I know sometimes Loki is jealous when I play with baby or peanut, but never when I play with scooter, it's like he doesn't even acknowledge that he exists. :huh:

I do understand your want for a single bird, I know odin would love that! :rolleyes: but in my case there is something each bird gets out of being in a "flock", the stimulation they get from other parrots is beyond what I can give them all day every day.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I used to think that birds were always happier with other birds around, but now I'm not so sure. I've had birds who absolutely hate each other and right now Kei and Toady just tolerate each other so I think sometimes it is safer for the bird to be single. I think both Kei and Toady would be fine as an only bird. I think Toady might actually prefer it that way. Kei I don't think minds either way.
I do think single birds would require more one on one attention from humans and also a lot of enrichment to keep them busy.

Jumper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jen
I think my bird would hate us if we got another one lol. She already trys to attack our dog if he comes anywhere near us when she's close by. She's definitely a jealous little birdie. But besides that, even if I would want another bird we simply don't have the room for another cage at this moment, so it wouldn't happen anyways. I don't think you should feel bad, some birds like the company of other birds and some don't. I think our bird is a super happy bird, and never lonely because there's someone home with her 90% of the time.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I don't think its a bad thing. I think it has a lot to do with how your life fits around your fids and the fid themselves. If you're home a lot and there to offer interaction and time together being alone should be fine. If you're away a lot like I am at times, another fid allows them to interact and build relationships. I feel my fids are a bit healthier mentally for having each other, but twice the trouble! I'd certainly not EVER get a bird just because I wanted them to be friends with my current bird. I'd do it if I was ready and prepared because they might not get along and then there's even more work!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on the bird. Elvis would be fine as an only bird, and that's what she was in her previous home. All the others seem to need some company to one degree or another. And Max, who could never be an only bird, is at the opposite end of the spectrum. I think they range from one extreme to the other--there really is a sort of continuum for this, and you have to know where your bird falls on it. You just have to evaluate your own situation with an open mind and an open heart. :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys,I'm so glad that I finally posted this because its been bothering me for a long time.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
One bird would be just fine. Gets all the attention and all the toys.

Me I couldn't do it cause I am the one that always wants more. But I bet Joey, Topaz or even Twitter would love being only birds. Even Indy would I think even if he was a breeder and I bet he would be much tamer by now too.

But it well most likely be years before that happens.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.