• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your Parrots that you love and care for, yet don't connect with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a great connection with all 3 of mine.

Mabel was my wild card bird. I didn't expect to connect with her on any level and I was ok with accepting that. I merely wanted to get her OUT of the situation she was in.

Today I really adore her so I don't really know what the opposite would have been like at this point in time.:heart:

I think it's very interesting how so many parrot owners on here have given homes to parrots who they aren't necessarily in love with but love them just the same. What's it like to do this?

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I don't know that it's any different for me. I don't need them to connect with me to love them. What makes me happy is watching them be happy, regardless of how they feel about me.

That doesn't discount how heartwarming it is when one of them snuggles with me, or gives me kisses. That can send shivers down my spine...and I don't get those extra special moments from Lucky (although Lucky stepped up for the first time a few days ago, and I about cried) or the budgies. But I still love watching them be happy with new toys and pigging out on foods and just enjoying their lives. That's all I need. It makes everything worth it. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, Andrea captured it perfectly. I don't really connect with Bella, but I love watching her chew her yucca or dive into some freshly baked birdy bread. Knowing she's safe and happy is enough. And Patrick may never cuddle with me, but seeing him play on his boing and get excited for his breakfast gives me a sense of accomplishment and peace :) Seeing happiness on his face where before there was fear and uncertainty, wow, what a feeling.:heart:

I will say this, though: it's easier to maintain these feelings because I do have birds that are closer to me. If I want to scritch someone, I have Zoe and Elvis. So, it doesn't really bother me that Sonny and Patrick don't like scritches. If Bella is not my heart, that's okay: Max is.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think that it is MUCH harder to deal with aggressivity/bites from a bird one doesn't feel very connected with. I know I had a very short tolerance when it came to bites from Mabel in the past.:D

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I have to admit, I have more then one here that I've given homes to that I love but have a hard time connecting with.

Yes, getting bloody bites all the time makes it very difficult to connect with but even though I do not connect with them the way I do with a few others I love them just the same for their own little quirks and behaviours. I love them for being who they are. I love the fact that I can give them an environment where they never need to be scared again of a human or scared of no freedom, or scared of no food. Each of them still have their little things that I find cute from a distance. LOL

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
As I have said before,our budgies are strictly hands off birds. I like their independence and their free spirits. No human interference, what you see is what you get. I could,and do watch them for hours. If I need to have some close birdie interaction, Milton, our U2, will gladly do the honors.

Last edited:

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I don't know that it's any different for me. I don't need them to connect with me to love them. What makes me happy is watching them be happy, regardless of how they feel about me.

That doesn't discount how heartwarming it is when one of them snuggles with me, or gives me kisses. That can send shivers down my spine...and I don't get those extra special moments from Lucky (although Lucky stepped up for the first time a few days ago, and I about cried) or the budgies. But I still love watching them be happy with new toys and pigging out on foods and just enjoying their lives. That's all I need. It makes everything worth it. :)
I completely agree. I don't feel Iggy connects with me like I thought he would when I first went to see him (because then I thought there was a connection) but I love him no matter what. He is my baby and I love to see him happy. He is so funny. Even though we are having our difficult time with step up, every time he does it I want to throw a party. =) I love his expressions on his face when he's doing something silly or he's completely happy or when he has just eaten a great meal. He's just a cutie pie. I wouldn't trade him for any other bird. Would I get another bird? Yes, will I connect with that bird? Hopefully but only time could tell that. Even though birds can be such a handful and are expensive they are worth every penny, every bite, every cuddle, and every mess! No matter if we connect with them or not. They are a joy and fill the heart with happiness. =)

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
All of our birds are hands-on velcro brats. I connect more with the conures whereas Atia is more connected to her favourite Daddy of all times, my husband.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
two of our budgies and our little canary are completely hands off...but I love watching them play and I take care of them just as the rest...they all have their own unique personalities for sure...and I love them completely and totally for who they are

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
I have a very strong connection and bond with Lucy and Jessie ... I've had them since babies and Jessie was bonded to me from day one.

Kylie was the first that I adopted ... and it wasn't to get her out of a bad situation because she already had an amazing parront. I have to work every day on building that relationship and bond with Kylie and maintaining it. I'm definitely her favorite person, but admittedly I don't have the same deep bond that I have with Lucy and Jessie. It doesn't make me love her any less. I love hearing her excited beeps and squeeks every day when I get home from work and love sitting and watching her destroy a piece of wood. To this date I have a problem reading Kylie ... I work with her every day and I'll watch her body language very closely when she steps up for me. Then bam after a few good days without warning (that I can see anyways) she tries to bite me. She can be a moody girl sometimes and I if I'm honest I don't fully trust her yet - maybe she senses that, I don't know.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
It's different- Mia, Capri, Elle, Brady are my "bonded" birds.

Lulu has been too neglected to trust humans yet and bites out of fear. In a few years, she may be comfortable enough to come out of her cage on her own and trust but I will let her take it at her own pace. I am just happy that she no longer lives in a dirty cage with one perch and no toys. With nothing but sunflower seeds to eat. I am happy for her to have a new life!!

Dink, just doesn't like me. We're not bonded at all. But he does love Jer and it's get to see them interact!!

The Linnies are pretty much bonded to each other. Except for Bernard who is an outcast. He doesn't mind being handled but whenever he is out of his cage he clearly wants to be with the other Linnies who do nothing but harass him. :(

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Petey doesn't like me, at least while the Boy is around as he's proven he can be civilized when he's stuck with me alone. But I do think he's generally a happy parrot in my home so that's all I could ask for :)

Last edited:

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
when it comes to my buddies, there all pretty hand on. but i grew up with a breeder who taught me training techniques that just stuck, and i belive that has alot to do with it. but when it was stated "when there happy im happy"
i complelty agree, as an amazon tender, theres days where sam is just forget it with me. my cuddle monster. and some days its just not his day. i just enjoy seeing him play or even eat his fav food. with that big happy grin. makes my day every day:heart:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I agree with not needing to connect with them to still love them. Penelope is my baby, and I picked her special out of the clutch. She is very aggressive with my hands right now, but I still love her. Zoe (rescued almost exactly 2 years ago) is fun to toss toys to (she loves to bang and clang things with me!), and she will sit quietly on her door with me while I read, but she does not want further interaction. She only likes and trusts men. If my husband weren't here, I would have found her a home with a man - only because I see how much happier she is with a man around. I still love her and enjoy her, but not in the same way as Penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.