• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your Amazon and learning new words

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristynJanelle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristyn
I am just curious as to the pace your amazon has learned new words at. :) Huntington is the only amazon I've really known, so I have little basis for comparison. I know that some species of amazon are particularly adept at learning. Also, how's their pronunciation, how clearly do they speak? Hunt is a bit of a mumbler, often times other people mishear what he's saying and I have to explain because I know by the tone what he's imitating.

Huntington is currently two and a half. He can use some words in what would seem to be the right context, so maybe he gets the general idea of what they mean, but it's hard to say. These are the words and phrases he uses for specific purposes :
1. Hello (when he's uncovered in the morning, when someone enters the room, etc.)
2. Hello Hunt (he uses this to request attention for himself)
3. Hello Noah / Noah! (it would seem he knows this name belongs to my budgie, because that's the only bird he ever directs it at!)
4. Good Boy/You're A Good Boy (tell this to the other birds frequently)

He also laughs whenever anyone else laughs, which tends to just make us all laugh harder :lol:

Then he has some newer words and phrases that he uses more randomly.
5. What's up?
6. What are you doing?
7. Hi
8. I love you

Beyond that, he has a number of noises he's picked up. He says "huh?" a lot when people talk to him, and occasionally "ohhh!". I feel like I'm forgetting something, if I remember I will add it later.

So tell me about your Amazon! :D

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Mango is a closet talker he talks as clear as me but its not often heres some of what he can as

did you miss your momma ahhhhhh poor baby , do you want to come well do you well come on then, goodmorning , what you want, Mangos a good boy, come on Mango come on hurry up got to go pe, ah your my babyyyyyyyyy. whant to go bye byes come on hurry up then ,

he can talk and knows what it means but as i said in a nother room i have him on videos on youtube only problem theres a fan going have to find a way to remove the sound the fan makes and no one would have a problem understanding him
how to get him to talk more i dont have a clue

yours is doing good

hugs doll

KristynJanelle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristyn
Aww, yeah Huntington is impossible to record, he loves to pose for the camera so whenever I try to record him he stops talking and just strikes a pose! :laughing2: He loves attention, though, so he's very eager to talk for everyone.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret has lived here for over a year - just this morning I heard her say "pretty bird". No clue where that one came from! They seem to talk more and more as time goes on. Secret is rather limited - does some wolf whistles and a few words but basically limits talking.

MC recently began repeating when I scritched his head - "feels so good, yeaaaah". He does "hello, hi, what'cha doing, huh????" all on a pretty regular basis.

I was lucky enough to hear Barbara Heidenreich last year at a seminar. Basically it seems like you can train talking in baby steps, too. Reward, reward, reward . . . . . She played a video of her own bird and it could do some pretty amazing things. I think it's available on the internet. Let me know if you need help finding it.

I know the baby step principle works - MC was scared to death of hands . . . and now he is standing up proudly on my hand without fear.

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
Lollipop is about 18 months and loves to say her words :)
She will say her name on cue - I show her a cashew and she says " Lollipop".
I am just not sure who she thinks is Lollipop - her or the cashew:) Lynne & Lollipop 1.jpg

KristynJanelle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristyn
Clueless, I will definitely have to try and find a video of that. Never hurts to brush up on different techniques. :D

And Lynne, Lollipop is beautiful! What a cutie :heart: I love that she says her name on cue. Huntington does no such thing, although I am currently trying to teach him the name of his absolute favorite snack, "papaya". The only way I can guarantee he'll say something is after he flaps off his cage, he'll usually say "hello, Hunt" when he lands, which essentially means "pick me up" in his mind :laughing2:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret came out with "hi baby" this morning. Hmmmmmm maybe secret santa did something to her. . . Or it's a result of the boxer going home and their cages returning

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Max has always been a big talker and singer and also seems to be able to put some things in context. If the dog starts barking, he always says "Tucker, no bark!" Or if the doorbell rings he shouts out "Come on in". I can't count how many times strangers have come into the house because Max has invited them in. If the phone rings, he does the usual "Hello? How areeeee youuuuu".

His vocabulary is pretty huge, too many words and phrases to list. I believe they never stop learning or picking up words, because every once in awhile Max will say something I've never heard him say before, and I've caught him 'practicing' words when he thought I wasn't around.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My Amazons don't seem to say a whole lot and haven't really picked up a whole lot in the year or so that they've lived with me. Amarillo DYHA says night night, bye bye, Amarillo, Hi and will babble like a baby, just like a baby! Abigail YCA says a few things too but hasn't acquired anything new since living with me that I know of. She loves to say her name and Abi-girl and Hi and Hello and she mumbles a LOT but I can't really understand what she's saying. Our newest Amazon, Nibbles LCA, says all sorts of things and does seem to be picking up a few things here and there. Her favorite sayings are Come here! Wiggle Wiggle! and Hi. Amarillo is 12 and has been with us for a little more than a year and Abigail is around the same age and will have been with us for a year come April. Nibbles has been with us for about a month now I believe.

Now, our newest grey who is about 16, Aspen, is finally starting to show that he can talk...his newest ones are OUCH! HELP! Get out of here! and Go away! Proves that they never stop learning for sure although I suppose he could have always known those words and just started using them. The ouch is definitely from me when I last got bit by Clancy CAG

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Pete is a wild caught YC, at least 30 years old. He talks very clearly, but has a high pitched, soft, feminine voice. He has learned quite a few new words and phrases in the past year since coming here to live.

I have heard:
Hello
Hi
Whatcha doin?
Whatever!
Come here!
Be right back!
Hurry!
Hello, Dear
I love you
Good night
Yabba Dabba Do!
Glug, glug, glug
Kiss (the newest one)
I good boy!
Baby, which he will add to his other words and phrases, like hello, baby! Whatcha doin, baby?
He will also combine his, "Come here! Be right back!" to "Come right back!"
He sings opera
He barks like a dog
He giggles and laughs like a maniacal lunatic
He says, "Awww" when you pet him
I heard him whistling along to a singing amazon on youtube once

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
ollie came to live here a bit over 2 years ago. like audrey's pete, ollie was wild caught and didnt come to live here til he was around 28 or so. he talks very clearly when he has something to say. i think there's more lurking in that zon brain of his. he says ollie and cracker the most. but the cute part is he pairs every word he knows with them when he's asking for his fav treat: a ritz cracker. which he's only allowed one a day... he's a pudgy guy. but he also calls all human food 'cracker'. he will say: "ollie cracker? wanna cracker? gotta cracker? have-a cracker? buya cracker? fire cracker? hot cracker?" when i'm cooking he will ask me "ollie cook? wanna cook?" so he knows plenty of words and he pairs them all together until he gets what he's asking for. when he first came here he only said the words ollie and cracker and has added in bits and pieces. he didnt start saying 'buya cracker" until one day we were out of crackers and i told him "i'm sorry baby, we're out of crackers i have to buy some" the 'hot cracker' came up after he was waiting for some pizza. it was just out of the oven and i told him "not yet ollie. its hot. it'll burn the birdie" he also will say things like "hiya!" and "good boy" when i'm in a different room. but rarely when i'm in the same room with him. when he first came to live here, he named me 'what' and would holler for me if i left the room "whaaaaat!!!!!" i figure he got it cause the other birds and the kids would holler 'mooom!!' and i'd answer 'whaaatttt???'. :hehe:

Last edited:

KristynJanelle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristyn
I love how birds will combine words and phrases they know to try and get their point across, or just assign a different word to something than it would normally be called :) It's adorable! :heart:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Beth, I'm not going to say what Merlin named me for awhile. It's much too embarrassing:o: I'm glad she seems to have given that one up!

Status
Not open for further replies.