• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young WF cinnamon pearl (?)

Zsozso

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
Yesterday a beautiful cockatiel entered our life. He/she is not my first one; however, I never had this breed/mutation. The previous owner got him as a baby and although she cared for him, she did not have a lot of information. According to the photos, is he a white face cinnamon pearl (pied)? I am also wondering about his sex. He is about six months old and just finished molting. He is still shy so I did not want to bother hiand check his inner wing feathers.
Thank you for your help :)
Zsozso

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your 'tiel. He is a white face and does look like a cinnamon. Have no idea whether or not he is a pearl or pied or pearl pied combo. If the underside of his tail feathers are solid then the 'tiel is probably male. Has the first molt totally completed?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Welcome and what a beautiful bird. When he settles in, you may want to add a more comfortable perch and some toys to his cage.

Zsozso

Meeting neighbors
Congrats on getting your 'tiel. He is a white face and does look like a cinnamon. Have no idea whether or not he is a pearl or pied or pearl pied combo. If the underside of his tail feathers are solid then the 'tiel is probably male. Has the first molt totally completed?
Hi and thank you :) It seems that he has some random bigger spots on his wings but it doesn't look like a pattern. My previous baby was a grey female and her spots were very visible and well...organized :laugh:. His crest feathers are now loosing the little sheets, so it is probably the end of the molting process. On the other hand, I can see that some of his tail feathers are getting loose too.

Zsozso

Meeting neighbors
I just took another picture, not sure it helps. His face is pale compared to the back of his head. I saw the same on various types of males. His back is more visible on this photo as well.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a pretty tiel! Males lose their pearls as they mature and females keep them. However, pieds- if he is one, can retain them longer. I think you may have a girl.... However, if under a year, it may be too early to tell. Is he very vocal?

Sexing Cockatiels - Just Cockatiels!

Zsozso

Meeting neighbors
Such a pretty tiel! Males lose their pearls as they mature and females keep them. However, pieds- if he is one, can retain them longer. I think you may have a girl.... However, if under a year, it may be too early to tell. Is he very vocal?

Sexing Cockatiels - Just Cockatiels!
He is a quiet for now but this is a new environment for him. He is definitely under a year, so I guess we will see. As for vocalizing, he sometimes gives me a single chirp when I talk to him. I don't think that these chirps can indicate that he is a male :laugh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whatever your cockatiel is, he/she is very cute. Does he/she have a name?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Looks very much like my Indie Arie who's a girl - and all Diva too!

Image020.jpg P1000169.JPG P1000167.JPG P1000807.JPG

P1000058.JPG

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Indie is very much a girlie bird and also very quiet. Your fid is beautiful and, even not knowing everything about tiel genetics, I'd hazard a wild guess that you have a lady on your hands.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new cockatiel! She or he is gorgeous!:heart:

Zsozso

Meeting neighbors
Indie is very much a girlie bird and also very quiet. Your fid is beautiful and, even not knowing everything about tiel genetics, I'd hazard a wild guess that you have a lady on your hands.
She is gorgeous!! One thing I noticed is that some of her tail feathers are patterned, Casper's not. But anyway, it doesn't matter. If she is a girl, I will call her Cassie :D

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
Hi. Your new baby is pretty and cute. your bird may be male. I have a yellow/ gray pied tiel I was told by the breeder is a male. Bright yellow face, but with a little grey on it. When she layed eggs we knew she is a girl. Two of their babies (10 months old) are pied, and with their 1st molt they lost about 1/2 the feathers with yellow spots on otherwise gray wings and their tails. So at almost a year old they still have half of the spots, and their behavior shows they are definitely males. Either way I'm sure you two will have love and fun together.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She is indeed a whiteface cinnamon pearl. I see no indication of pied. Clear face is no indication of male since the pearl mutation tends to lighten up their face anyway. That said, having or not having pearls can be an indication of sex in older birds. Since Cassie(?) carries two sex-linked mutations, this also gives a higher chance of her being female than male.

Here's a picture of a normal pearl hen, her father behind her. Her face is rather clear, but not quite as clear as her fathers. Your hen appears to be a "heavier" pearl (she has clear tail feathers, vs this hen has striped tail feathers).

And it is mutation, not breed. With one or two exceptions, there are no "breeds" of parrots.

Zsozso

Meeting neighbors
She is indeed a whiteface cinnamon pearl. I see no indication of pied. Clear face is no indication of male since the pearl mutation tends to lighten up their face anyway. That said, having or not having pearls can be an indication of sex in older birds. Since Cassie(?) carries two sex-linked mutations, this also gives a higher chance of her being female than male.

Here's a picture of a normal pearl hen, her father behind her. Her face is rather clear, but not quite as clear as her fathers. Your hen appears to be a "heavier" pearl (she has clear tail feathers, vs this hen has striped tail feathers).

And it is mutation, not breed. With one or two exceptions, there are no "breeds" of parrots.
Thank you for your information!! I thought that clear tail feathers can indicate that the bird is a male (?) My previous females had striped inner tail feathers...but they were not WF.
So far, Casper/Cassie shows a lot of interest in sounds. He/she constantly plays with the bells in the cage and he/she loves instrumental music :joyful: Maybe she will be one of those females who are vocal :)