• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You Won't Believe This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
My cousin Marc went camping with his friend Todd and his friend brought his dog with him. Well the dog bit someone (not hard, no blood drawn) and Marc was coming around the corner and saw some guy shoot him. He is an extreme animal lover like me. Well his friend Todd said it was okay to shoot his dog. Marc was devastated. I just can’t believe some guy shot the dog, well Marc and Todd are no longer friends. Marc packed everything up and left. Can you imagine a dog being shot in front of you? I know the dog bit someone but you just don’t go and shoot a dog.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's terrible. :(

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
oh my, I would be in jail right now if that had happened to me :(

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I'm sorry for Marc - it had to be very hard to see that happen right in front of him - especially when he was not expecting it.

I have a feeling I will be in the minority here, but I am not upset about the dog being shot or otherwise humanely put down. I don't accept aggression in dogs towards humans or livestock and other animals. Even if the bite did not break skin *this time* it was an aggressive threat. The only exception to this is if the human was being abusive to the dog first and the bite was in defense.

As long as it was a clean shot, the dog did not suffer.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how absolutely horrifying...

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I couldn't stand watching a dog be shot, it would be horrible. :(

I was attacked by a dingo cross dog, he ripped a chunk out of my ankle first, and then he got my right hand which he had hold of for a good few minutes, and nothing happened, the owner was "let off". Then you get people that shoot a dog because it bit someone and didn't even draw blood.

Last edited:

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Thats disgusting. I think it is the owners responsibility to deal with a dog with agression. It is true that it was just the first time and could happen again. However the owner knowing this is able to simply avoid situations that this would happen in, or decide to humanely have the dog put down if it was that much of an issue. Someone doesn't have a right to just shoot a dog for nipping at them when there is no longer causing any immediate threat. I could see if they were being mauled and it was to save someone but that is absolutely horrible. Also says a whole lot of bad about the person that actually did it. They must not have much of a conscience never mind for the owner to not care! I agre with GG I would be in jail too.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
My first ? would be why wasn't the dog on a leash? Second ? is why would an owner be OK with someone shooting his dog IF it was a NONE SKIN BROKEN incident? Guess he knew the dog had problems and didn't want to deal with it himself (my first thought)
Think your cousin did the right thing in cutting friendship ties with the guy...if the person doesn't respect his dog any better than that, he won't respect people either..JMHO:hug8:

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
You know - after seeing a little boy mauled by a golden retriever who's only issue was that it had "nipped but never broke skin before" and has scars on his face from the incident - unless that dog was somehow provoked - why is everyone ok with a dog biting, broken skin or not? There are so many good dogs who would never dream of biting who are being put down daily in shelters - no need to deal with an aggressive dog.
Maybe its a culture thing. Around here it is completely legal and acceptable to shoot any dog that threatens human or livestock.
Billie Faye - you have a good point. Why wasn't the dog on a leash?

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I don't think anyone is okay with it. But the manner in which it was dealt with was not appropriate. And for the owner to be ok with it is unheard of. Even if you dog has issues the humane thing would be to take it to the vet to be put down and even at that you shouldn't be OK with it.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
The owner being so accepting of it IS strange - I will give you that.
However - I do disagree that shooting is inhumane. A clean bullet is just as humane as taking them to a vet. They die instantly - just does not give the "warm fuzzies" to us humans that taking them into the vet and "putting them to sleep" does. So shooting is more inhumane towards a human's sensitivities rather than being inhumane towards the actual animal.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
The owner being so accepting of it IS strange - I will give you that.
However - I do disagree that shooting is inhumane. A clean bullet is just as humane as taking them to a vet. They die instantly - just does not give the "warm fuzzies" to us humans that taking them into the vet and "putting them to sleep" does. So shooting is more inhumane towards a human's sensitivities rather than being inhumane towards the actual animal.
Jessie, to some extent I agree with you BUT think about shooting a gun at a dog with people around is out to lunch!...
#1 a bullet can go through a dog and hit others!
#2 You can MISS the dog and only wound it and it suffers. Have read stories many times about this happening.
#3 Information on the gun style was NOT provided.
#4 It doesn't make sense if a dog has just tried to bite someone, who is to say that dog wasn't coming down with rabies? Whether he broke the skin or not, the dog should have been quarantined to make sure. AND then decide what to do with the dog... JMHO

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Oh my. :( I don't honestly know how I feel about dogs biting and being put down...our family dog growing up once bit my little brother in the forehead, not very hard thankfully, he'd was sitting backwards on her yanking on her tail...must have been some good yanks from him, he was a beefy toddler lol. My dad almost did shoot her, but she ran away and later came home and lived many more completely peaceful years with us. Then on the other side, my cousin was mauled by a few pitbulls, her face was badly torn up, even off, and she's still very scarred years later. I don't know their story, and I certainly don't hold it against the breed...I've known some very sweet ones. But I do think it was right for them to be put down afterwards. Anyway, all that's to say that I don't know that I agree with putting them down after the first bite, but it would depend on circumstances leading up to it I think. I do feel so bad for your cousin though, having to witness that, and for the dog too (not knowing the whole story).

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I'm sorry for Marc - it had to be very hard to see that happen right in front of him - especially when he was not expecting it.

I have a feeling I will be in the minority here, but I am not upset about the dog being shot or otherwise humanely put down. I don't accept aggression in dogs towards humans or livestock and other animals. Even if the bite did not break skin *this time* it was an aggressive threat. The only exception to this is if the human was being abusive to the dog first and the bite was in defense.

As long as it was a clean shot, the dog did not suffer.
As you mentioned, You dont know the circumstances behind the bite. Maybe the guy cornered the dog, kicked the dog, startled the dog, taunted the dog! Any number of scenarios where the dog DID not deserve to be put down. An otherwise stable dog doesnt just bite out of nowhere for no reason. And if he didnt break skin, more than likely he wasnt TRYING to hurt the man, just warn him that he didnt like what he was doing. If he wanted to draw blood he could! If my dob bites me after I yank on his tail unexpectedly or back him into a corner threatening him I DESERVE IT! He is still an animal and doesnt think like a human and people who believe so are ignorant.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
The fact that they don't think like humans is the exact reason why ones of questionable temperament need to either be well contained by the owner (I am not against dogs used for protection who are owned and handled by competent owners that know what needs to be done to keep others safe. With an owner like that this never would have happened to begin with.) and if they don't have an owner willing or knows how to do that - then it is best that they are put down because I put human safety over any dogs life.

I'm sorry - I can NOT get the boy's face that was mauled by his family's dog out of my head. It happened years ago, but is still with me today. A dog that will bite due to being startled or any number of reasons has a questionable temperament in my opinion. I've owned a rottie, a boxer mix, and pit bull mix - three breeds supposidly aggressive and not a single one ever offered to bite - even when startled or kids yanking on ears and tails (we didn't allow that, but kids are sometimes faster than adults...). Its not an acceptable excuse in my opinion.

Billie Faye - you are correct about the rabies. However, unless they used an overly large bullet or one that scatters, then the brain matter would still be able to be tested for rabies. And I really hope the guy was competent since he had a gun - there are idiots who own them sometimes, but most people who know how to use guns and carry them will know when it is safe to shoot and how to shoot in one clean shot.

And its a myth that all dogs won't bite unless provoked or otherwise ill. Majority of the dogs out there are good animals, but there are some that aren't quite right.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I think it's terrible, there are other ways to have handled the situation. I personally don't feel it's a bite if the skin wasn't broken, more of a nip. Also, what kind of dog was it? The sheltie that I had (may she RIP) was obviously a herding dog and one of the ways she herded was to nip at ankles and feet. She wasn't biting, she was just doing her 'job'. Of course, not living with sheep, she tended to 'herd' my children. My girls understood that she wasn't being aggressive with them, just trying to get them to go where she thought they needed to be. I guess some people might consider her behavior aggressive and we were very careful when other children were around.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
The fact that they don't think like humans is the exact reason why ones of questionable temperament need to either be well contained by the owner (I am not against dogs used for protection who are owned and handled by competent owners that know what needs to be done to keep others safe. With an owner like that this never would have happened to begin with.) and if they don't have an owner willing or knows how to do that - then it is best that they are put down because I put human safety over any dogs life.

I'm sorry - I can NOT get the boy's face that was mauled by his family's dog out of my head. It happened years ago, but is still with me today. A dog that will bite due to being startled or any number of reasons has a questionable temperament in my opinion. I've owned a rottie, a boxer mix, and pit bull mix - three breeds supposidly aggressive and not a single one ever offered to bite - even when startled or kids yanking on ears and tails (we didn't allow that, but kids are sometimes faster than adults...). Its not an acceptable excuse in my opinion.

Billie Faye - you are correct about the rabies. However, unless they used an overly large bullet or one that scatters, then the brain matter would still be able to be tested for rabies. And I really hope the guy was competent since he had a gun - there are idiots who own them sometimes, but most people who know how to use guns and carry them will know when it is safe to shoot and how to shoot in one clean shot.

And its a myth that all dogs won't bite unless provoked or otherwise ill. Majority of the dogs out there are good animals, but there are some that aren't quite right.

I respect everyone opinion however I have to point out that in your opinion of reasons to put a dog down, that would qualify all our birds to be put down never mind horses spooking and unintentionally injuring people..so on and so on.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I respect everyone opinion however I have to point out that in your opinion of reasons to put a dog down, that would qualify all our birds to be put down never mind horses spooking and unintentionally injuring people..so on and so on.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but you are talking the difference between a predator vs. prey animal. Canines are predators. Parrots & horses are prey animals - different psychology between the animals and different forms of intent.

Plus birds are not truly domesticated so that goes back to my first paragraph of needing competent owners and keeping them well contained. We see it ALL over the forums that people need to research and really understand what they are getting into with birds before they get one. There is a reason for that. Birds are NOT dogs. They are NOT domesticated but rather classified as exotics and thus the expectations are different. The scenario is completely different.

BTW - a horse spooking is quite different than a dog biting. A horse spooking is the equivalent of running away - not actually striking out like a dog bite is. A better comparison would be a horse that rears or kicks at a person. Just like puppies might nip and bite in play, a horse may try kicking when it is a baby or first around humans. However, there comes a time when it becomes unacceptable and dangerous. It is not unheard of for a horse to be put down because of rearing and kicking that can't be remedied. That is the preferred option because otherwise people take them to auction and they are sold to the next unexpecting person who buys it and ends up getting hurt or killed by the horse.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I understand the point you are trying to make, but you are talking the difference between a predator vs. prey animal. Canines are predators. Parrots & horses are prey animals - different psychology between the animals and different forms of intent.

Plus birds are not truly domesticated so that goes back to my first paragraph of needing competent owners and keeping them well contained. We see it ALL over the forums that people need to research and really understand what they are getting into with birds before they get one. There is a reason for that. Birds are NOT dogs. They are NOT domesticated but rather classified as exotics and thus the expectations are different. The scenario is completely different.

BTW - a horse spooking is quite different than a dog biting. A horse spooking is the equivalent of running away - not actually striking out like a dog bite is. A better comparison would be a horse that rears or kicks at a person. Just like puppies might nip and bite in play, a horse may try kicking when it is a baby or first around humans. However, there comes a time when it becomes unacceptable and dangerous. It is not unheard of for a horse to be put down because of rearing and kicking that can't be remedied. That is the preferred option because otherwise people take them to auction and they are sold to the next unexpecting person who buys it and ends up getting hurt or killed by the horse.
Well you did say it youself that dogs are domesticated. Wolves are predators yes however dogs are domesticated to the point that they might as well be prey as well. It is not their fault that their only defense it their mouths. As you said and I meant to aggression in horses is just as common we just don't hear about it as much because if you are dealing with such a large animal it is almost expected. For all we know this dog was infact "prey" in some sense in this situation. It may very well have been protecting itself. I feel terrible that you had the experience of seeing something so terrible a friend of mines daughter was terribly mauled by an Akita as a toddler and has scars to this day as a teen. It still doesn't make this situation right or handling similar situations in the same fashion acceptable. You also mentioned expectations being different between animals. I have to disagree. With any animal you should expect the potential for their natural instincts to kick in. I always expect little ankle biters from smaller dogs having worked with them in grooming. I have been bit many times by various dogs and I NEVER wished them dead or would even suggest it to their owners. They are using their only known method of protecting themselves in an uncomfortable situation. It is not their fault. It just seems to me as one nip from the dog doesn't qualify it from death. That would to me be the same as someone making a huge misjudgment and smacking someone else and being sentencing to death. There is no denying humans as predators.

Last edited:

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
A dog biting and breaking the skin is not much different than a bird biting and breaking skin. They are animals that we chose to domesticate. No matter how much time elapses, they will still have wild tendancies. Just like a bird, you must watch and know the dogs body language. A dog will not bite for no reason at all. The reason may not be completely apparent to a human, but there is always a reason. That being said, the dog should have been on a leash. It's upsetting that the owner was not in control of his dog and that this happened and he is so seemingly unfeeling about it.

My brother was attacked by a labrador about 4 years ago. He was with his dad at a friends house and had been standing there petting the dog. He went to bend down to the dogs level and the dog attacked. This was not my brothers fault, by any means, but the dog, for whatever reason, felt threatened and bit him in the neck and face. My brother was rushed to the ER where his wounds were irrigated and stitched. The scars are thankfully very faint now, but the memory will always remain. The dog was taken in by animal control and kept for a 7 day observation where he was temprament tested and the owner had to provide proof of current vaccinations. Upon successful completion, my brother was called into the judges chambers and asked how he felt about what happened to him and what should happen to the dog. My brother said that he knew the dog bit him because he felt threatened. He asked the judge to release the dog back to it's owner because it had passed the temprament testing. The dog went home and has never bitten again.

Now, with all of that out of the way... why is it acceptable for our birds to bite repeatedly, but not a dog? Would you put your bird down because it drew blood on a stranger? Nope, I didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.