• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You can't spoil a parrot.

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I have 3 parrots, one being a little princess, basically. Trixie (GCC) has been with us three years and was an only parrot for about a year.

She can be very nippy if she feels insulted in any way. It took me months and months for me to truly gain her confidence.

When I get home from work, I must greet her before any other pet or person or she will nip me.

If hubby hugs or kisses me, she clamps down hard on my hand and won't let go. After being pried off, she will fuss and fuss at me.

Trixie also bites if you don't share food with her.

If Trixie has been put back in her cage before she's ready, she will run to take a bath in her water dish. Afterward, she stands on the highest perch shivering (and not preening) and gives me the saddest look.

I rush to get a soft towel and gently hold her until she's warm and mostly dry.

Trixie can be out 4 hours while the dog and cat are penned up in a small room. Yet the minute she's placed back in the cage, she goes and gets wet. The kids have said that it's a manipulative tactic on her part and quite deliberate.

What do you think?

My favorite thing to tell my kids is, "You can't spoil a baby and you can't spoil a parrot". They just roll their eyes, lol.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Trixie has you very well trained.

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
She does, lol.

I really have trouble saying "no," to her. It probably doesn't help that I'm a passive person.

Last edited:

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
Seems like she's done a good job of training her person, haha.

I don't know from personal experience (so someone else will hopefully give their own input), but I'd be careful about giving in to the shivering tactic, wouldn't want her to turn to destructive behavior to get attention!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
If you take her out every time she bathes, she probably figured that out really quickly. Mine learned to make the softest bark like one of my dogs does if I forget to let him out of the crate after he finishes eating. She saw me rush over a few times to let him out and started doing the same noise to see if it would work for her. It didn't and she stopped doing it, lol.

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
"Machu Picchu". She's been whispering this in my ear and giving me birdy nibble - kisses on my cheek. I guess I've been watching too many documentaries about Peru.

When I was calling to Sunny for cuddles, the little princess jumped into her bath, hopped out, then stood soaking wet on the couch staring at me, until I wrapped her in a soft towel and massaged her tiny head for an hour.

Poor Sunny. He just stared. I'm going to take him out by himself this afternoon.

The little princess can be a brat.

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I think Gonzo despises Trixie because he sees her as a little, spoiled brat.

Whereas he's a rescued bird who was lost in Austin. He landed on someone's shoulder and they took him to a parrot rescue.

He eggs her on by doing fly bys near her cage, landing on it and teasing her. She makes a huge, loud ruckus. Sunny regards her as a bully, which she is, lol.

Toddlers in tiaras with wings!

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
"Machu Picchu". She's been whispering this in my ear and giving me birdy nibble - kisses on my cheek. I guess I've been watching too many documentaries about Peru.

When I was calling to Sunny for cuddles, the little princess jumped into her bath, hopped out, then stood soaking wet on the couch staring at me, until I wrapped her in a soft towel and massaged her tiny head for an hour.

Poor Sunny. He just stared. I'm going to take him out by himself this afternoon.

The little princess can be a brat.

Machu Picchu makes me think of the parrot named that, called "Peach" for short, in the Diane Duane So You Want to Be a Wizard series. Love those books. :D

Great Trixie stories. Oh, and love Trixie Belden books, too. :smuggrin:

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I refused to share my ice cream sandwich and got nipped.

I felt bad so I let her have the tiniest taste of lime sherbert. Of course she wanted more but I didn't want to overload her with sugar.

She's being super cuddly. It's hard to say "no" to such a cute face. Trixie did share grapes with Sunny. :D

IMG_20150105_013205.jpg

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I know just what you meanI am well trained to..lol you are not alone , I haven't been dived bombed in a while for either going out or have been out

and if Mango wants a bath he goes in to the bathroom gets on shower rod and screams soft at first then gets louder and louder till I finaley relise where he is,,lol

and if cooking look out if I take to long he wont stay off my shoulder

yes they sure know how to train us real fast

But truth you enjoy it I now I do

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
I have a hard time saying "no" to my baby, but if he's a brat then he certainly doesn't get a treat. I'm afraid to encourage biting! Of course he's not as tame as your little majesty sounds :)