• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yet another finch of mine died. :( I give up.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I don't know why you take this route, every single time. If your response had been before the death of the finches, then it would have come across as constructive. Now, it is just coming across as insensitive, and preachy. It is already done, lesson learned, and she feels horrible about it. So quit twisting in the knife already.
Because the bird was possibly injured during the fight? Just because one was dead doesn't mean the survivor didn't require medical attention

The OP already had three finches die on her, and at least one died because of a lack of vet care. I don't think anyone here wants to see a fourth die.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Because the bird was possibly injured during the fight? Just because one was dead doesn't mean the survivor didn't require medical attention.
I don't recall you making any reference to the other one being injured. In fact, you seemed to be more hung up on the starvation part of this tragedy. I always thought this site was set up to support and help other's with issues regarding their birds, not make them feel like crap when an accident occurs.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I don't recall you making any reference to the other one being injured. In fact, you seemed to be more hung up on the starvation part of this tragedy. I always thought this site was set up to support and help other's with issues regarding their birds, not make them feel like crap when an accident occurs.
I'm sorry for what happened to your birds.

Please bring Snowflake to a vet before her neck gets infected
Last I checked, birds don't suffer neck wounds due to starvation.

Please read my posts properly.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Last I checked, birds don't suffer neck wounds due to starvation.

Please read my posts properly.
Excuse me? I did read your posts and you mentioned starvation about six times! I suggest you go back and read your own posts.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Excuse me? I did read your posts and you mentioned starvation about six times! I suggest you go back and read your own posts.
And look at the times I mention taking her to a vet.

Please bring Snowflake to a vet before her neck gets infected.

3) She needs to see a vet.

5) You should still take Snowflake to the vet. She could be suffering from internal injuries or fractures or might need extra care you can't provide.

I really hope you take Snowflake to a vet. I know this is gonna sound very mean and I apologize in advance, but you also sound like you were confident that they could go that long without food, too. Being confident doesn't mean things will turn out alright.

I mentioned taking her to the vet because she was injured. The only time I mentioned it in conjuncture with starvation was when I mentioned that she was sure they'd be fine without food, because she said this in the prior post;

Wounds is one thing I'm very confident in.

And the time I mentioned it without mentioning either wounds or starvation was because she said this;

3) Snowflake had been puffed up DAYS before this happened. I think the second male may have set her off. I only theorize the food since it was tipped over when I came home. (And fell under the bars)
Implying that she may have been ill. Being puffed up 'for days' is often a sign of illness in birds.

So yes, I did go back and re-read my posts, so..... Yes, I do mention being concerned for her injuries due to her fight which was likely triggered to the starvation. If you bothered to read, you'd realize I wasn't only talking about her starvation.

:shrug3:

Yes, yes I did make references to Snowflake being injured. More than once, in fact.

Dislike me and my opinions/reactions to what happened here all you want, but don't take my posts out of context.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
And even if I was solely hung up on her birds going without food or water, so what? That's not something I think should be treated lightly. If this had been caused by anyone other than a member on this site, would you be defending her?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
And even if I was solely hung up on her birds going without food or water, so what? That's not something I think should be treated lightly. If this had been caused by anyone other than a member on this site, would you be defending her?
Of course I would be defending her. If she had acted like she didn't give a damn, that would have been one thing, but she was clearly distraught and already feeling guilty. She didn't need you to twist the knife in any deeper.

I too have made mistakes when it came to animal companions and have paid the ultimate price. It happens. But the difference being in my case, my friends and family gave me support because they knew how much I loved my pets. She loves her birds and will do right by them. Let it go.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Of course I would be defending her. If she had acted like she didn't give a damn, that would have been one thing, but she was clearly distraught and already feeling guilty. She didn't need you to twist the knife in any deeper.

I too have made mistakes when it came to animal companions and have paid the ultimate price. It happens. But the difference being in my case, my friends and family gave me support because they knew how much I loved my pets. She loves her birds and will do right by them. Let it go.
Please, read my posts in there completion;

I know this is gonna sound very mean and I apologize in advance

No one's yelling. We're explaining what happened and why Snowflake killed her cagemate.

Please go make that gravestone and come back once you've had some time to clear your head and really read what people are saying.

I don't think the presence of a female in a completely different cage could have caused what happened, especially when there were other extenuating circumstances that likely caused the fight (the lack of food and water, for instance).
I never said this wasn't an accident. It was an accident caused by her, yes, but that doesn't mean I'm calling her a monster by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't know what you think you read, but could ya kindly read before stuff like this? I literally blamed the lack of food and water before you came after me, not the OP. I don't know if you're friends with her or whatever, but this is a really silly discussion. I'm done trying to defend my points, and I'm not going to apologize for telling someone with an injured animal to take them to the vet.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
There are people on the internet that only want to make you feel bad.

It's very unfortunate you lost birds and I am sorry for that loss. All you can do is try to make sure these mistakes do not happen again, whether you forgot to feed them or whatever.

Two male finches caged together in sight of a female absolutely could result in a fight to the death. It has happened exactly that way with zebra finches I have cared for. The species has the potential to be incredibly aggressive and can be so vicious to one another it's psychotic.

Best of luck.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Please, read my posts in there completion;

I know this is gonna sound very mean and I apologize in advance

No one's yelling. We're explaining what happened and why Snowflake killed her cagemate.

Please go make that gravestone and come back once you've had some time to clear your head and really read what people are saying.

I don't think the presence of a female in a completely different cage could have caused what happened, especially when there were other extenuating circumstances that likely caused the fight (the lack of food and water, for instance).
I never said this wasn't an accident. It was an accident caused by her, yes, but that doesn't mean I'm calling her a monster by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't know what you think you read, but could ya kindly read before stuff like this? I literally blamed the lack of food and water before you came after me, not the OP.
There is usually a "cause" behind any accident, but it still an accident. Meaning, it was never purposely planed or carried out.
Dude, she was upset over some of the replies, get a clue. Now if two people are telling you the same thing, then it just might be true. Maybe, just a widdle bit? Now I am not going to hijack this post and I suggest you do the same.

Last edited: