• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yawning

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about yawning in birds. I think my lovies use it as a means to relieve tension.
They are friends and love to play together, but not always, especially when I am involved. Sometimes when they sit on my arm, one, or both, of them Will open his beak, I don’t know how to describe it, but if neither of them moves they Will have a little fallout, so basically they say go away please. But sometimes they Will be sitting their, beaks opened and facing Each other, and one of them Will yawn, usually the other Will follow and then they Will relax. Sometimes one of them Will do it a couple times before the other one relaxes.
When they had just met, they would do iT a lot more, they would be sitting a few centimeters apart, both yawning.
Has anybody Else noticed their birds doing this? I think it is really interesting to learn more about their communication!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I haven’t heard about birds doing it to communicate, but my birds do this to adjust their crop, especially after preening.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Extended yawning over and over for long periods of time is a sign of the bird's body not getting enough oxygen. You see it in sedentary birds that are overweight. The fat deposits interfere with air sac operation and efficiency. But they all yawn to adjust their crops as Deanna said.