• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WTB blue-headed pionus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
After a fruitless and frustrating search for pionus breeders on the West coast, I'm currently looking into breeders of blue-headed pionus from across Canada.

If you are a Canadian forum member who got their bird from an aviary, please share your experience or PM me with recommendations or alternatively *ahem* words of caution on specific breeders or aviaries still offering birds.

Thanks!

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Home - Windsong Aviary & Miniature Poodles currently has 3 baby blueheads being handfed. They take care of their babies quite well and are experienced. My only reservation is how the breeding pairs live...... However, you can do your research and make your own judgements :)

starla21

Jogging around the block
This link will give you a lot of breeders of Pionus in Canada Poinus. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@ Glassonion - I've messaged her, thanks. I would have PMed you re what you mentioned, but I don't think I have enough posts to do so.

@ Starla21 - Ah yes. I've gone through most of that list. Unfortunately, without exception, West coast breeders are no longer breeding

starla21

Jogging around the block
@ Starla21 - Ah yes. I've gone through most of that list. Unfortunately, without exception, West coast breeders are no longer breeding[/QUOTE]

You may have to ship. i think I saw Little Darling's website said they have some available.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Some one on the other thread said she is a breeder and has 3

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So...I was at my local bird mart last week and managed to bump into a breeder of pionus! As far as I know, he's the only one in Western Canada so I'm very lucky I found him. There's a catch, though...none of his pairs are sitting on eggs. The blue heads have a nest box set up but they "are not in the mood" yet.

This is my dilemma. Should I wait it out and see if they eventually will produce something, or should I go with a breeder out the East that already has weaned/weaning babies?

On one hand, I'd be able to visit and pick out the one whose personality I liked the most instead of being just sent a bird and not knowing what its personality was like. However, if I waited for the local breeder, there would be no guarantee that the pair would breed, and even if they do it would be at least a 6 months wait.

On the other hand, I was told that shipping from the East cost is not good in the winter months, since the bird could get sick or die if the plane is delayed and sitting on the tarmac and the heat isn't on in the cargo hold, or left outside for any length of time during loading, etc and the outside temp is too cold.

So what do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?

GlassOnion

Ugh- I hate that Langley Bird Mart thing. I've been once, I was horrified. People with little/false knowledge were selling/breeding birds and selling to undereducated buyers.
One "breeder" sold an 8week "fully weaned" Alexandrine who wasn't even fully feathered, and was weaned onto a seed mix with a heavy amount of sunflower seeds. No pellets or veggies or anything. The lady who bought it was going to put it in the same small cage as her lovebird or some other small bird, and the guy just sold the bird to her. She spoke little English, and when I tried to speak to her, she ignored me.

Last edited:

starla21

Jogging around the block
I would say go with the ones in the East. Yes, I would say the Bird Mart vendors could say anything and like you said there are no guarantees. I see your point though with the personality issue. If the breeder is reputable they could give you an idea. I had Kaeli shipped in February which was the worst month but it worked out. I think the breeders in the East are reputable. If there are some available now I wouldn't wait if you are settled and ready. There is a block around Christmas and New Year's with the flights. You could get one soon. I'd say go for it! If you're like me patience isn't your strong point. ;)

Last edited:

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ugh- I hate that Langley Bird Mart thing. I've been once, I was horrified. People with little/false knowledge were selling/breeding birds and selling to undereducated buyers.
One "breeder" sold an 8week "fully weaned" Alexandrine who wasn't even fully feathered, and was weaned onto a seed mix with a heavy amount of sunflower seeds. No pellets or veggies or anything. The lady who bought it was going to put it in the same small cage as her lovebird or some other small bird, and the guy just sold the bird to her. She spoke little English, and when I tried to speak to her, she ignored me.
Yeah, I know what you mean. This time I saw a "breeder" with a parakeet pair that was in a tiny cage smeared with blood, another pair where one bird's beak was grossly overgrown.

A few years ago, another breeder had brought a ton of unweaned babies, some naked, some partially or fully feathered with her...

GlassOnion

Oh yeah, I saw the naked birds and the gross "situations" as well. The "breeder" from Maple Ridge, who runs the Birds Exotic aviary brought a container full of supplies that were covered in poop, feathers, dust, etc. So much stuff in general that really shouldn't be brought to a "fair" where there are numerous other birds and hatchlings who are susceptible to disease....

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
Soltia Aviary...http://www.soltiaaviary.ca/ more than wonderfull experience dealing with her. Her name is Barbara. She has...BH, Duskies, WCP...and brown head Pois aswell.shes from Ontario. A+++ breeder
Tell her I say hey!:) You'll see my dusky on her website
Harold

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Her website looks great and it seems like she is an honest responsible breeder

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She does. Dunno if she has anything anymore though since her website hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Wanderer, which one is Gonzo?

PS...I've almost decided on my baby...it's a toss up now btw a boy and a girl from different aviaries, but either way I'll get him/her latest by end of Nov, so I'll keep everyone posted! :dancing:

Last edited:

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
Gonzo is my Dusky, you'll find in Success stories section of her site.
She did a great job raising, socializing him, he came to me through Air Canada. She did a great job, getting him used to all kinds of food aswell.
She has a young Maxi right now, and last I talked to her she had three pairs of Pi's in their nest boxes.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
In the title of your topic ... what does WTB stand for?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Parrotluv (user name here) has BHP's. She is in Quebec but in the Ottawa area (Gatineau). There is also a breeder in Peterborough, ON. Not sure if either of them ship.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Hi Jan,
WTB stands for "want to buy".
Oh! Am I out of the loop?!! I racked my brain trying to figure what that stood for!! I knew by reading your orginal post that you are looking for a Pionus breeder but I could not figure out what the WTB stood for!! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.