• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would it be cruel to take away all weaving materials?

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
You might take away the nesting materials completely for a while, then provide a few straws for Blu to work with. He seems to have become obsessive with the paper rope so it may be better to avoid that. If you have dollar stores near you, you'll probably find big packages of straws for a dollar a package, and should be able to stock up on them before they become unavailable in January.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You might take away the nesting materials completely for a while, then provide a few straws for Blu to work with. He seems to have become obsessive with the paper rope so it may be better to avoid that. If you have dollar stores near you, you'll probably find big packages of straws for a dollar a package, and should be able to stock up on them before they become unavailable in January.
That's a great plan! Thank you so much!

Probably nice & warm too! What a good little weaver, such a shame it's gotta
:whack::fluff1:splode :grumpy:
It is a shame. I really do like when he does it. Just not this fiercely and obsessively. Hopefully once we take a long break he can get back into more of a normal weaving outlet some day

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
The way he peeks out and gives you a warning is so cute even if he is definitely being a butt

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
It's amazing what they can do! I tried giving Skittles some things to build with but she didn't and after reading this I'm glad she didn't. I feel like she would become obsessed and become more hormonal. It's their nature and instinct to build big elaborate nests which I feel they should not be deprived of but then if they start doing that they become less of a pet. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it's so hard to balance with them. Quakers like any exotic pet are not easy to deal with and they are not domesticated which is why so many people abuse their birds or re-home them. They aren't like a dog or a cat. Granted they can be trained but are still somewhat like a wild animal. I feel like it takes special training or education to deal with exotic pets. It's not even a balance because they are what they are. You give them something that they love to do and they run with it and seem to become obsessed with it and then there seems to be no balance and they become hormonal and bite you. This is something I struggle with. Do I let her be an exotic bird and do her thing? Or do I try and make her a pet which is against her instincts??? I've been trying stick training and Skittles does NOT like it. I tried it the other day and she perched and turned her back to me and I swear she said. I DONT LIKE YOU! She wouldn't even look at me or come near me. Having a quaker is so hard sometimes!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The way he peeks out and gives you a warning is so cute even if he is definitely being a butt
Thanks! I agree! The boxy angry floof is definitely adorable :joyful:

He is definitely a talented little angry fluff butt.
Thank you! I think so too! :)

It's amazing what they can do! I tried giving Skittles some things to build with but she didn't and after reading this I'm glad she didn't. I feel like she would become obsessed and become more hormonal. It's their nature and instinct to build big elaborate nests which I feel they should not be deprived of but then if they start doing that they become less of a pet. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it's so hard to balance with them. Quakers like any exotic pet are not easy to deal with and they are not domesticated which is why so many people abuse their birds or re-home them. They aren't like a dog or a cat. Granted they can be trained but are still somewhat like a wild animal. I feel like it takes special training or education to deal with exotic pets. It's not even a balance because they are what they are. You give them something that they love to do and they run with it and seem to become obsessed with it and then there seems to be no balance and they become hormonal and bite you. This is something I struggle with. Do I let her be an exotic bird and do her thing? Or do I try and make her a pet which is against her instincts??? I've been trying stick training and Skittles does NOT like it. I tried it the other day and she perched and turned her back to me and I swear she said. I DONT LIKE YOU! She wouldn't even look at me or come near me. Having a quaker is so hard sometimes!
Totally makes sense, and yes, they are hard sometimes! At least Skittles just gave you the back and not a bite this time :laugh:
Thank you!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just took him outside for a bit of fresh air and then brought him back in and kept him in his travel cage downstairs while I took every last bit of weaving materials away. When I brought him back in his room he went immediately looking for stuff to weave. It's like a habit now.

He gave up looking as of 5 minutes ago and is now sitting on my knee grinding his beak. I hope he can forget all about it soon. I will update this thread as time goes by to let you guys know if his aggression calms down. :fingerscrossed:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Yay! I'm so happy you got your buddy back :D
Thank you!! I'm so happy too! He's sooo much sweeter already! He bit me a couple of times but nothing like what's been going on for the past few weeks. He's preening alot and just relaxing. I think he needs to catch up on taking care of himself :sad14:

The main thing I'm worried about is bed time. That's going to be very difficult

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Just wanted to update again

Blu was extremely sweet all day long! Just exploding with love and talking and kisses. I enjoyed his company so much again!

When I left him alone for a few hours he was totally fine. Then when I put him to bed it was a little confusing for him because he kept going to the top of the cage looking for his nest. But I showed him one time that he can go into his cage on the old sleeping perch and he went straight in ground his beak a bit and went to bed.

Everything is so much better now! Thank you all so very much for all the help and advice!!! It's so true that you shouldn't let a bird have nesting materials. It made him temporarily insane!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Fantastic news! I am so thrilled you had immediate results!
Thank you! It is pretty amazing how quickly he changed his tune. Every so often he'd go up to the top of his cage and look around for something to weave but when there was nothing there he'd just get over it right away. I am really starting to believe that having to build (and protect) the nest might actually stress him out! I thought I was doing something good for him:(

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
What an adorable little love bug! I am so glad to hear that Blu has had such a rapid shift back to his usual sweet self! I hope he lets you kiss those fluffy little cheeks hehe they look pretty darn irresistible :heart::xflove:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
What an adorable little love bug! I am so glad to hear that Blu has had such a rapid shift back to his usual sweet self! I hope he lets you kiss those fluffy little cheeks hehe they look pretty darn irresistible :heart::xflove:
Thank you so much! The cheeks are definitely fun to kiss but my favorite thing is kissing the top of his beak. He kisses right back! He's been a dream bird again today so I'm definitely convinced that weaving isn't such a good thing.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, I'm so glad that this turned out to be a swift & easy attitude adjustment! Also, glad your little blue luv bug is ALL the way back to his sweet self!