• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would I be able to cohabitate a bourkes parrot and a lovebird?

BourkesKid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Moss
Hello. One of my bourkes parrots recently died and I am looking for a new friend for the other one. I do not want it to be a ground forager due reasoning about my other bird’s death that I will not get into. Would I be able to cohabitate a lovebird and a bourkes parrot? What sex would be the best? I am concerned about a female bird getting eggbound. If they would not cohabitate well, what other species that are not ground foragers would they get along with? Preferably I would like a bird that is low to medium noise.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Like in the same cage? I wouldn't. Two very different temperaments. Lovies can be very bossy and nippy. Bourkes are laid back. I have read that bourkes and cockatiels can do well together. But any new birds should initially be caged separately and then see how they do together.

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss
The plan is to eventually have the two birds in the same cage. I would go through the regular process. I understand that there is a correlation between birds that forage on the ground in large flocks, and a laid-back temperament, however, I’m hoping to find a bird that would be equally well suited without the issue of being a ground forager.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
There would be no guarantee that they'd decide to move in together, and I think that's how it should work. You can't really force it without trouble. I have two of the same species - male and female - and several years on, they decidedly prefer separate cages.

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss
There would be no guarantee that they'd decide to move in together, and I think that's how it should work. You can't really force it without trouble. I have two of the same species - male and female - and several years on, they decidedly prefer separate cages.
Understood. Yes, I attempted that with my previous bird and they did not get along super well so I stopped trying. I mean what would give me the best possibilities.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
No. I think that would be a bad idea and would risk the Bourkes life. Lovebirds are so much more aggressive than Bourkes. I would not take that chance.

I have heard of Bourkes getting along with tiels and budgies. You might also try a softbill. I successfully housed a very lonely budgie and a lonely female canary together and they got on great. The budgie had been so sad that I was willing to try it to make both their lives better. They cuddled and preened and had a big cage so they could get away if they needed to.

Last edited:

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss
Does anyone have any suggestions for species that are not ground foragers?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Some softbill maybe? Or another small Australian parakeet?

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss
Some softbill maybe? Or another small Australian parakeet?
Could you be more specific? I haven’t heard that term before. Thank you so much for your advice.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
A softbill is a finch or canary.
There are different grass parakeets and I think they are rather docile. But I would have to look up individual species. I think lots of grass parakeets do feed on the ground.

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss
A softbill is a finch or canary.
There are different grass parakeets and I think they are rather docile. But I would have to look up individual species. I think lots of grass parakeets do feed on the ground.
Hmmm… I’m going to be honest, I’m much more partial to parakeets and parrots because of intelligence. Do you think it would be worth it to get another ground forager? Are there things I can do to mitigate the risk?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hmmm… I’m going to be honest, I’m much more partial to parakeets and parrots because of intelligence. Do you think it would be worth it to get another ground forager? Are there things I can do to mitigate the risk?
You would have to let us know what the risk was for us to help you ?

ground foraging ideas with a tray or basket at bottom on cage full of seeds pellets treats use Shredded paper (bird safe dye) wooden beads try put it in a corner that gets less poo you could always use a paper sheet over the grate of cage if bars at bottom were an issue

I would like to point out that at all lovebirds are aggressive or nippy my pico isn’t at all but would also say he loves playing at bottom of his cage and playing in his foraging basket

I have two lovebirds that have separated cages

If a lovebird is what you would like why don’t you just have separate cages and see if they will enjoy time out together

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The plan is to eventually have the two birds in the same cage.
No. I think that would be a bad idea and would risk the Bourkes life. Lovebirds are so much more aggressive than Bourkes. I would not take that chance.
I agree with WillowQ. Definitely a no go with a lovebird. They must be housed one lovebird per cage, or one bonded lovebird pair per cage. Never caged with other species.

If a lovebird is what you would like why don’t you just have separate cages and see if they will enjoy time out together
I think this is only a good option if OP really wants a lovebird, if they have their heart set on one. If they are just looking for a friend or companion for their Bourkes, then a lovebird is not the answer and something else would be better.
The thing is, a lot of other species that could potentially mix well, are also ground foragers.

Are there things I can do to mitigate the risk?
You can set up a "ground foraging" activity, up higher. Make a foraging mat or tray, and have it up oon a shelf or cage top. Set up play areas with treats and toys up higher on stands, cage tops, shelves. Invest in some more perching options, perhaps a tree, or simply some more natural branch perches and attach to the exterior of the cage. There will always be the risk of your bird being on the floor, but that is the same with any species also.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I agree with WillowQ. Definitely a no go with a lovebird. They must be housed one lovebird per cage, or one bonded lovebird pair per cage. Never caged with other species.

I think this is only a good option if OP really wants a lovebird, if they have their heart set on one. If they are just looking for a friend or companion for their Bourkes, then a lovebird is not the answer and something else would be better.
The thing is, a lot of other species that could potentially mix well, are also ground foragers.

You can set up a "ground foraging" activity, up higher. Make a foraging mat or tray, and have it up oon a shelf or cage top. Set up play areas with treats and toys up higher on stands, cage tops, shelves. Invest in some more perching options, perhaps a tree, or simply some more natural branch perches and attach to the exterior of the cage. There will always be the risk of your bird being on the floor, but that is the same with any species also.
That’s what I meant if hearts really set on a lovebird separate cages then could have supervised out of cage time I don’t agree with an different species sharing a cage or unbonded pairs but I definitely wouldn’t be putting a canary or cockatiel with it either I know l Averies mix species but that’s a massive space and cage just isn’t big enough to get away from each other

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss
You would have to let us know what the risk was for us to help you ?

ground foraging ideas with a tray or basket at bottom on cage full of seeds pellets treats use Shredded paper (bird safe dye) wooden beads try put it in a corner that gets less poo you could always use a paper sheet over the grate of cage if bars at bottom were an issue

I would like to point out that at all lovebirds are aggressive or nippy my pico isn’t at all but would also say he loves playing at bottom of his cage and playing in his foraging basket

I have two lovebirds that have separated cages

The risk of a bird getting stepped on

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Probably. But Emma has a good point: your cage has to be big enough to fit everyone and pigeon or dove is a bigger bird. I was thinking like a scarletchested parakeet or similar sized more docile aviary-type bird.

We were talking on some other part of this forum about cockatiels having canary or finch pets; that’s why I thought of my old lonely girl canary and girl budgie. They were so miserable before that and so happy together.

even a tiny zebra finch would be some fun company. Or go for a bright-colored finch to coordinate with your Bourkes.

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss
Probably. But Emma has a good point: your cage has to be big enough to fit everyone and pigeon or dove is a bigger bird. I was thinking like a scarletchested parakeet or similar sized more docile aviary-type bird.

We were talking on some other part of this forum about cockatiels having canary or finch pets; that’s why I thought of my old lonely girl canary and girl budgie. They were so miserable before that and so happy together.

even a tiny zebra finch would be some fun company. Or go for a bright-colored finch to coordinate with your Bourkes.
true. My current cage is 3ft tall x 32” wide 21” deep. I have a second cage that is about the same width and depth, but not as tall. As for finches, I just read a little bit about them, and I must say I have always been an enamored by strawberry finches. I have some questions about them that I’m going to ask in another thread. Thank you all so much for your help.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I would think that cage size would do ok for two such small flying birds. Or house side by side and see if they decide to share. Strawberry finches are very pretty.
some finch species are more aggressive so read up to be sure.

BourkesKid

Real Name
Moss

Wait, sorry to bother you, but I had one more thought. I have never kept these birds before so I don’t know much about their temperament, but what about a parrotlet (Pretty sure I’m spelling that right)?