• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would appreciate a reply :)

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
I have read a lot about blood feathers but I'm confused on results and wanted answers on my own case just to be sure so i clicked the closest forum in hope I can get some answers. My cockatiels main wing feather that allows flight fell out when he was spooked and flew upwards. It was a blood feather and he had some blood in his wing but I don't know what to do or if I should be worried. It appears the bleeding has stopped but I'm just worried if doing nothing is okay.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
Thank you, I will check that out.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Umm, I don't have experience with blood feathers coming out but if it has stopped bleeding I would think the worst is over. I would check periodically to make sure. If it is still bleeding that's a problem. Kwikstop or if you don't have that, flour ,cornstarch can be put on it to stop it. If it's bad some pressure may be needed. It should be just fine as long as there's no bleeding

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
Thank you so much, it doesn't appear to be bleeding but my bird won't let me get too close of a look. I will keep an eye on it and put on flour or cornstarch if bleeding continues.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
If the bleeding has stopped you are probably ok.
Was the feather that fell out complete in that it also showed the pointy end where it goes under the skin? or was it broken? If it was complete you are very likely ok. If it was broken you should keep a good eye on it.

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
The feather looks like it is completely out. With your answer and other people I think he is going to be okay. Thank you so much, I just didn't want to do the wrong thing even with back up research because of conflicting answers.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I will keep an eye on it and put on flour or cornstarch if bleeding continues.
Be careful using flour. Use cornstarch if you have a choice. Then invest in some styptic powder. KwikStop actually is best because in addition to an antibacterial agent, it has a mild anaesthetic.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I used to really worry about this, as tiels seems to lose blood feathers often (night frights and what have you). I find that it usually will stop on its own. We have styptic powder, styptic pencils, and a little container of flour just in case all in the bird room.

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
Thank you. I'll take good caution from now on. I have been much more assured about my birds health with all of you kind people!

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
My cockatiel re-opened the wound today by attempting to fly with his poor wing. I feel bad for him but it isn't bleeding but we still are going to make a appointment with the vet to be safe. Thanks for all your help! You helped assure me my bird is going to be okay. ;)