• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I'm worried about one of my dart frog boys. Other than a strip around his rear, he looks almost like his colours have been bleached. He seems to be moving about a bit less, doesn't jump off and seems to be eating less. He's always been the small one. Any ideas?

He's a really important frog, not only do I live him, but he is a vulnerable species, and needed for my breeding project. Both females are carrying eggs currently, and they could lay any time from now to March next year. I need this male, as the eggs are fertilised out of the body, whilst being layed. It would be too much on my other male and I would like to get a reasonable sized, successful clutch to carry on future bloodlines. I am so worried.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear your frog isn't doing well.

Do you know of this guy? He seems to have a lot of experience with amphibians

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sorry to hear your frog isn't doing well.

Do you know of this guy? He seems to have a lot of experience with amphibians

Thanks I didn't actually know of them!

It isn't looking like he'll be making it through to the end of the week. We are setting up some new UV for him. I took him out and put him in a small plastic cup (with ventilation) and some food which I had added supplements too. He wouldn't touch them, they were crawling all over him and right past his mouth and nothing.

I put the cup open in the main enclosure and he hasn't come out yet (in the time it has taken to write this far). Poor guy, doesn't look good. In terms of size and build, it hasn't changed at all, so he must been eating something?

I might email the vet you posted @tka and see what they say.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would get in touch with the vet. I have a look round his website and it looks like he offers reduced rates for amphibians because they're a special interest of his.

Perhaps it's worth setting up a small hospital enclosure for him? You may need to keep an eye on his droppings.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would get in touch with the vet. I have a look round his website and it looks like he offers reduced rates for amphibians because they're a special interest of his.

Perhaps it's worth setting up a small hospital enclosure for him? You may need to keep an eye on his droppings.
I have a seperate enclosure, I'll set it up in the morning (I don't want to disturb them again today as they have been disturbed a lot today)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fingers crossed for him! I hope he makes it

I've been looking at the Herpvet twitter account and he's been treating a garden snail with a damaged shell, so hopefully he can help your little guy!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I've been looking at the Herpvet twitter account and he's been treating a garden snail with a damaged shell, so hopefully he can help your little guy!
Now that is a vet. Reminds me of Heriot, 'All Creatures Great and Small!' Speaking of that, did you see the first episode of that?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I haven't! Loved the books when I was little though - my parents were pretty chill about letting their 9 year old read about a man with his arm up a cow's bum!
:rofl: It was good, I had a good laugh at it! My mum said it was very similar to the first series (I haven't watched it so I can't compare) so it is more of a remake. I suppose with a real life story like that you can't really change much.

I've actually been meaning to let you know - did you know there are masters courses studying primates? These are the two that I found Primate Conservation - Oxford Brookes University and MRes Primate Biology, Behaviour and Conservation
I'll take a look! I think I am pretty set on what I plan to do, but they sound interesting

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
He's a really important frog,
:bump7:
Aw! Unfortunately I don't know anything about frogs but I find them very cool. I hope he gets well and you find helpful information!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
As much as I love frogs, they are one of the only animals i dont research (yet) so I can't help you. But all my wishes and luck for you and him!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I hope your little fella pulls through! Fuzzgig send froggy hugs!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is he today? Were you able to contact the vet?

Reactions: Ali