• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Worried about vent

loplop

Moving in
Real Name
Kris
Hi all. I'm super new here and I'm glad to find such a great resource to help with my birds!

So today I'm worried about my budgie, Olive. I've had her for about 5 years now and lately she has had issues with droppings getting stuck around her vent area. The other day I had to remove a really big ball of dried droppings from the feathers close to her vent. I'm also worried she might be a bit swollen around her vent/abdomen area but it's really hard to tell. Other than that though, she's acting completely normal. She's always been a shy bird, so she's not acting any quieter than usual. She loves to eat and that certainly hasn't stopped. There's no noticeable tail bobbing, and she only fluffs up when taking a nap next to my other budgie, Banana. She's still capable of going to the bathroom and her droppings don't look runny/discolored/out of the ordinary.

I've made an appointment to get her looked at with my usual vet. However, his hours have changed and because of that my appointment isn't until May 27th. Is this something that can wait a few weeks, or should I go to the 24-hour vet? I try to avoid the 24-hour vet as they can (understandably) be very pricey. Also, a lot of people visit the 24-hour vet and due to the pandemic, it's drop-off only and you can't enter the building with your pet. However I will go there if I absolutely must.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to attach some pictures, but they're a bit crummy because Olive isn't a big fan of people, so I can't get TOO close unfortunately.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
In that first pic, she looks very swollen. Has she laid any eggs?
I would be trying to get a sooner appointment for her.

loplop

Moving in
Real Name
Kris
In that first pic, she looks very swollen. Has she laid any eggs?
I would be trying to get a sooner appointment for her.

She's never laid an egg before. I was worried that might be a possibility. I'll definitely try to get a sooner appointment, then. Thanks for your help

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea, looks like an egg stuck or a possible prolapse, is her lower belly soft, or can you feel a hard lump" egg" in there? Are her poops normal, or yellowing? I understand this not being able to be with your pet at the vet right now. It scares me,,Personally dont understand it. If theres an egg, two things you can do, give her some liquid calcium and soak her bum in warm water to relax that area..hope shes ok..

loplop

Moving in
Real Name
Kris
Yea, looks like an egg stuck or a possible prolapse, is her lower belly soft, or can you feel a hard lump" egg" in there? Are her poops normal, or yellowing? I understand this not being able to be with your pet at the vet right now. It scares me,,Personally dont understand it. If theres an egg, two things you can do, give her some liquid calcium and soak her bum in warm water to relax that area..hope shes ok..
I wouldn't say her poop is yellow, more like "off white." I'm also going to try to feel for the egg like you suggested. I've been reading about stuff I can do to help with an egg passing. I wanted to try the warm water soaking. In the meantime I'll try to get her a sooner appointment. Thanks so much for the advice

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
being its red and swollen she may be egg bound as a hen that isnt egg bound the vent would look normal with no missing feathers

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that looks like either egg binding or a tumor. Is she able to poop or is she straining?

loplop

Moving in
Real Name
Kris
@enigma731 @Budgiebonkers @Birdbabe @Zara @Hankmacaw

Hey everyone

So I managed to get Olive to the vet sooner. He was able to rule out an egg/egg binding and tumors at the moment. He did a gram stain test and thinks that the swelling is from gastrointestinal disease. He can't completely rule out liver disease or future egg development just yet, but he says he's really confident that it's just fluid build up.

He gave me some calcium to give her orally and some probiotics to sprinkle on her food. I've also made a follow-up appointment.

I'm going to keep and eye on her and hopefully everything will be okay. Thank you all for your help

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m glad you were able to bring the apointment forward, hopefully the medicine and calcium helps and your bird will recover fully.