• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Worried about my sick cockatiel

daretosing

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kathryn
I have a 26 year old cockatiel. Had to rush him to the vet this morning for sludge like bowel movements, but not pooping on a regular basis, warm to the touch, sleeping a lot, not really eating (regurgitating when he does), and being extra snuggly. Vet looked him over and says he looks ok. Fecal exam showed he was a bit dehydrated, low protein and liver was ok. Waiting on results of blood work. Vet thinks he is having a gastrointestinal issue and has put him on antibiotics for the next 10-14 days. She also gave him an IV of fluids to help rehydrate. Since we got home this morning, he has pretty much been snuggling and sleeping. Got him to take his medicine and will have to give it to him again before bed. Hasn’t eaten or pooped much. When he does poop, it is sludge like. Has anyone else ever experience this? This bird is my baby and it kills me that I don’t know how to make him feel better.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry he's sick. What is his diet like? I would ask your vet about probiotics too.

@Ripshod @Birdbabe ?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Expect symptoms to get worse before they get better with antibiotics. That's just the way they work. Also bear in mind a visit to the vet can be very stressful and being sleepy and and snuggly is part of that. I second the suggestion on probiotics after the antibiotics. A healthy gut flora will help prevent any reinfection and help a bird get the best from what they're eating.
I'll tackle the giant elephant trying to be inconspicuous the corner. 26 years is a very good age for a tiel.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try to keep him hydrated, give him whatever he will eat, he needs to keep his strength up..what antibiotic did the vet give? Hope hes gonna be ok, :hug8: