• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried about Black Tip Feathers?

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
Here is my sweet boy Chihiro (Green Cheek Conure), I wanted to take a minute and share about his feather health (or lack there of).

So my poor baby has been malnourished, and I had no idea! I feed him pellets, and nutri-balls, fruits, veggies, almonds (treats), he has a calcium block and a cuttle bone... but turns out that sometimes.. that's just not enough.

Below is a picture of him before I took him to the vet. I was worried, because the dark colors on the tips of his wings kept getting worse. At first i thought maybe it was the stress from being in a new environment after taking him home from the breeder, but turns out that had little to nothing to do with the color of his feathers. these are not stress lines, these are "black feathers" and if not caught early enough, they could turn so brittle they crumble at the touch. I'm glad I decided it was time to take him in to the vet.

The feathers here are supposed to be shiney and green. as you can see... no shine... and certainly not a healthy green.

The vet told me to start putting vitamin supplement drops in his water, making sure to change the water every other day. Because if you leave the vitamin stuff in the same water too long, it gets stagnant and begins to smell like sulfur. Which at that point. your bird of course will refuse to drink the water... and it's not good for them to drink that old sulfur water either. The brand my vet suggested to me was Oasis, vita-drops (costs about $7.00, of course depending on the store you get it from). I give me bird water in the tall tube (which can be seen in the above picture). I chose this, because my birb, tends to poo in his water bowl, and i refuse to have him drink poo water all day while im at work, or away and cant change it constantly. So my solution was this tube.

Anywho, below is a picture off the vita-drops brand my vet suggested. Yes, it does say for BIG birds, but he said that putting about three drops in the tall tube, would not be too much for him, because the dosage on this is 2 drops for every ounce of water. Which, three drops in the tall tube about evens out for my bird.

Now when you put the drops in the water, it will turn a VERY slight yellow tint, you want it FAR from the Gatorade lemon lime color, because then the birbs wont drink it.

The vet explained to me that sometimes some birbs need more vitamins than others, and the food that we give versus the amount of it that they ACTUALLY eat... is not always enough. He said it's not our faults, some just need more than others. and if you are feeding your birds a healthy balanced diet of pellets, nutri-berries, fruits, veggies, calcium blocks, and cuttle bones, sometimes its still not enough and i highly suggest this product. I've been putting it in Chihiros water for about a week and a half, and im already seeing shinier, greener wings. Now by using the drops, this does not replace the fruits and veggies by any means, still keep giving all the usual. this is just another add in to make sure your birbs are getting what they need.

The vet told me to keep putting this in his water for about a month, and slowly after i see all the color back, instead of every other day in the water, i can switch to once a week. I change his water usually every other day with tube, so i would only put it in his water once a week of the water change, instead of every time i change it.

Below are some pictures of his wings only about a week and half of the vita-drops and I already notice a HUGE change:

Now this is only after about a week and a half of the drops and i see the huge difference in color and shine.

***I am in no way a professional,
I am just sharing what my vet told me and please just take what I put here as a suggestion.
Of course always take your birbs to your avarian vet if any concerns come up with babies.
This again, i'm just sharing my personal experience with malnourished birb feathers***

And NO, I am not sponsored by Vita-drops.
If you have any questions feel free to message me or comment :swoon:
With much love,
Jessica and Chihiro
:smileflower:

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
I have another inovative effective way of getting Bird to take his exact amount of supliments that I think is worth sharing.

I am not a vet, expert or disputing any other methods. But as all birds are different...

I fill a 1ml syringe (which are free) with his suppliment which is paste like. It is meant to be spread on food. But he tosses his food and especially if it has the paste on it. So every day I push the plunger .3ml and either give it to him, or hide it. He investigates every time, and eats his vitamins. Easy for me. Fun for him. Bird is very interested in everything and fearless so this works for him. 15177129131991833136212.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow what pellets was he eating and how much of a percentage of them were they in the diet? Never heard of them just not being enough!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm also curious what pellets he's on and what fruits and veggies are regularly given, maybe it's not enough variety or maybe he's not actually eating everything. For example if he's only picking the fruit out he's not getting all the vitamins he needs. I know my GCC will always go for fruit first so I don't give him very much of it.

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
The pellets that I give him are Zupreem Fruit Blend Flavor:

The percentage of food I give him is, prolly about 60% pellets, 20% veggies, 10% fruits (given as treats), and about 10% seeds (nutri-berries) and nuts (given as treats).

The Nutri-berries I use:

The veggies I give are:
carrots, cucumber, green peppers, peas, broccoli, green beans, basically whatever is fresh at the grocery store that week I go shopping for the birb.

And the fruits i give are:
bananas, apples, grapes, mango, watermelon (these are the ones that he tends to actually eat). Again also, whatever is fresh when I go shopping.

Now I'm not saying that feeding birbs this diet isn't enough for all birbs. It just so happens that it was not enough for mine. Because what he is actually eating of what I'm giving him he may not be eating everything I'm giving and if he is. It may be a very small amount and not enough for him to get that actual nutrition out of it. From what the vet told me. I only posted this, for if people were seeing the same black color in the wings that I was seeing. I thought i was being a bad bird mom, being his feathers weren't the shiney green color like he had after I got him from the breeder. I thought that I was giving my bird enough, but I guess some birds just need a little extra boost than others.

After giving him the vitamin supplements in his water (and continuing with his normal diet I've been giving him). There's been a HUGE difference each day, I see more and more green healthy feathers.

Wow what pellets was he eating and how much of a percentage of them were they in the diet? Never heard of them just not being enough!
I'm also curious what pellets he's on and what fruits and veggies are regularly given, maybe it's not enough variety or maybe he's not actually eating everything. For example if he's only picking the fruit out he's not getting all the vitamins he needs. I know my GCC will always go for fruit first so I don't give him very much of it.

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I have another inovative effective way of getting Bird to take his exact amount of supliments that I think is worth sharing.

I am not a vet, expert or disputing any other methods. But as all birds are different...

I fill a 1ml syringe (which are free) with his suppliment which is paste like. It is meant to be spread on food. But he tosses his food and especially if it has the paste on it. So every day I push the plunger .3ml and either give it to him, or hide it. He investigates every time, and eats his vitamins. Easy for me. Fun for him. Bird is very interested in everything and fearless so this works for him. View attachment 267392
Good to know! Thank you :D

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
So I just noticed that the pictures of his feathers didn't come through on my initial post.

BEfore I started the liquid Supplements:

After a week of using the drops:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well yes, if you give him those proportions and then he doesn't actually eat them that is certainly a cause for an imbalance.

I'm surprised the vet recommended in water vitamins. My vet is firmly against them!

Regardless, glad you are seeing an improvement!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I didn't intend to sound mean or like you're a bad parront. I was just genuinely curious what pellets he was on to compare to what my birds eat. All of my birds also eat zupreem fruit pellets and chop everyday.

It sounds like you feed the fresh foods in large pieces, maybe you could try giving chop? He'll be more likely to get more variety (even if he picks certain foods out) and it will be consistent for each feeding.

I'm glad he's doing better and thank you for sharing your story so other parronts like myself can learn from it. I had never heard of vitamin deficiency causing black feathers so it's good to know.

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I didn't intend to sound mean or like you're a bad parront. I was just genuinely curious what pellets he was on to compare to what my birds eat. All of my birds also eat zupreem fruit pellets and chop everyday.

It sounds like you feed the fresh foods in large pieces, maybe you could try giving chop? He'll be more likely to get more variety (even if he picks certain foods out) and it will be consistent for each feeding.

I'm glad he's doing better and thank you for sharing your story so other parronts like myself can learn from it. I had never heard of vitamin deficiency causing black feathers so it's good to know.
Oh, I didn't take you as being mean. I was just really worried that I may not have been a good birb Mom.:sad10: I have a pudgie, and he is MUCH easier to care for than a conure. haha. I appreciate the help the feedback. That's why we are here, to make sure that we give our birbs the best life that we can. With helping each other figure it out as we go. :D