• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wood perch material & sizes

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Think about the birds out in the wild and how they perch on a variety of branches, from small to large. Whatever you get for Rio will probably be just fine. My Goffin's also stays mainly on the bars. Sometime she will perch on a manzanita or concrete perch but she will not perch on the main manzanita perch. Before that she had the perch that came with the Mediana and she wouldn't use that either.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Think about the birds out in the wild and how they perch on a variety of branches, from small to large. Whatever you get for Rio will probably be just fine. My Goffin's also stays mainly on the bars. Sometime she will perch on a manzanita or concrete perch but she will not perch on the main manzanita perch. Before that she had the perch that came with the Mediana and she wouldn't use that either.

Thanks, I'm really overthinking this but I always do. It says when a perch is too big or even too small & they use it alot they can get there joints out of line. Guess it could lead to arthritis. I like everything to be just right & I want him to be happy & set up the cage to encourage him to use it to its fullest. I never saw a bird sleep on the bars. How can they sleep like that I wonder.
I was up all last night researching perches & trying to figure out sizes & Rio actually went to sleep like a normal bird & even had one foot up. I was nice to see him relaxing but maybe he felt comfortable as I was in the room with him.

I didn't know you had too's I guess I always thought you only had a flock of red bellies. Wow, you must be busy.
Maybe your Goffin doesn't like the height of the main perch?

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
That manzanita burl works site looks like they have a pretty great selection! Im a gonna order!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Enjoy!

Think its time for me to lay this weary perch shopper down.
I went from 12 hours of perch shopping to 4 hours of taxes
then off to the copy center, bank & post office so Uncle Sam won't poop on me...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have ribbon wood, Java, sandblasted manzanita, boings, rope swings, Tarzan ropes, a sandy perch, some safety pumice perches, etc.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I was interested in the difference between dragon & ribbon wood.
I'm leaning toward dragonwood as I had one & I liked it.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dragonwood is darker in colour with a more flaky bark.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks, I'm not even sure the perch I had was dragon wood as there was a mistake in the stainless hardware so for all I know it may or may not have been dragonwood.

It was not a very dark wood but also had a papery bark.
Does this look like dragon wood?

dragon bark ss possible s-l1600.jpg

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, I'm not even sure the perch I had was dragon wood as there was a mistake in the stainless hardware so for all I know it may or may not have been dragonwood.

It was not a very dark wood but also had a papery bark.
Does this look like dragon wood?

View attachment 222750
Looks like dragonwood to me! Looks like most of the darker coloured bark has been removed, though.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I like the bottlebrush wood perches that are availble online through Amazon. It's a softer wood, but a conure should get a lot of use out of it.
The other thing i do is buy regular pine dowels, cut them to length so they go across the whole cage, and then use my dremel tool to cut all kind of scallops out and vary the surface and diameter. IMG_3771.JPG

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd be interested in comments about ribbon wood. I rather get dragon wood as I liked it but if I can't get that ribbon wood is available.
I heard its bark is fun to shred. Don't know much else. Guess its pretty much like any other branch each one is different.
I'm trying to concentrate more on diameter. Noticed on 1" his feet go only about half way around. Was reading ideal size is 3/4 way around.
So should I look more for under a inch. Seems 7/8 is the best so a branch 3/4 to 1 inch should be ideal.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the bottlebrush wood perches that are availble online through Amazon. It's a softer wood, but a conure should get a lot of use out of it.
The other thing i do is buy regular pine dowels, cut them to length so they go across the whole cage, and then use my dremel tool to cut all kind of scallops out and vary the surface and diameter. View attachment 222958
I think the hardware on the bottlebrush may be zinc so check on that and, if that is the case, I would recommend changing the it out to stainless steel.