• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wood perch material & sizes

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I want to reconfigure my Rios cage with perches & get rid of his likely zinc containing hardware.

First is there any wood material comments that anyone would like to give?

Hard woods that are appropriate & safe for birds.

Manzanita, java, birch, ribbonwood, dragonwood etc

I don't know if I can find the wood of my choice but it would be helpful to get recommendations.
I need to get specific lengths to fit my use so I will need to be flexible in the type of wood.

Second I know that varying perch diameters are healthy.
I have a crimson bellied conure which is slightly bigger than a average green cheek conure.
Right now I have about 3/4 13/16 to 7/8 of an inch on all my perches.

I noticed my guys nails don't always grip the perch but it seems to be 1 inch
is a good appropriate size.

Should I order a 1 in & 1 1/4 in diameter perches?
3/4 in seems on the small side & I don't want that.

I also would prefer stainless hardware.

Thanks

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would go with 3/4" to 1" and only slightly above. With most natural perches, however, you will get a range of diameters. Types of wood: you have listed good types of wood. Also consider willow and sassafras.
Stainless hardware on perches: Check out our vendors to say see types of perches they have available. With most you can get stainless steel hardware. Also check out Manzanita Burlworks. Rich will customize your perches to the size you want and he does use stainless steel except for the hanger part of the perch. However you can always replace that.
You might also want to consider platforms in addition to perches but then maybe you already have one or more of those for Rio.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I have many different sizes in the cages for my GCC's to climb on and they like them all. Some knotty, some smooth, some with bark.
Grape wood, Chinese Cherry, Corkscrew willow, One that is rather skinny that I really do not remember what it is. Grape wood is great. And if you can find it with bark, is great fun for Conure's to chew off. I also have 2 platform perches, basswood and pine. Their play stand is made with branches of a sugarberry tree from a neighbors yard that he cut down. The grape wood is some I gather myself, the cherry and ribbon are from my dad's trees that he sends me. I am fortunate in that respect. I only order SS hardware from our vendors to make new perches and usually keep a supply on hand. Java wood is great, but kind of pricey. I do wish I had some, though!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks.
I'm glad everyone has found such nice perches for there fids.
I have been kind of lax with Rio's perches but he really never uses them.
He loves his small pedi perch on the door & other than that he mostly hangs out on the side of the bars.
I just decided that even though he doesn't mess with the possible zinc hardware on his perches
its best to remove them for peace of mind. I could not forgive myself if something happened to my precious.
He's so good & I want to make his life the best I can though he rarely asks for anything.

I don't have the desire to make perches & obtaining appropriate size safe wood. No drill or saw.
Last one I cut with a steak knife so I need to have them made.
It's been hard as I am looking for custom lengths too so I might just have to settle for what's available.
I could use 2 14 inch perches & maybe a 8 & rather find one supplier for all to save on shipping as money is tight.

So you think 1 1/4 is too big. I suppose it is as I don't really have one at 1 inch yet which is what I was looking for.
I guess I will try for close to 1 inch & allow for it to be slightly more or less. I just don't want them to all be 3/4 in as
it seems on the small size. A 1/4 inch might not seem like a lot but comparing it to a small birds foot it is significant.

I got some perches on ebay that were supposed to be stainless & when I got them the hardware looked off. One side of one washer even had dark corrosion. Other perches washer & wingnut had a blue tint. They were also 3/4 inch not the 1 inch listed.
I called the vendor & she called the supplier & he admitted he may
have used some zinc based hardware.

How can you really tell stainless from zinc?

They said they will replace the washers but that still leaves the screw
& wingnut. Should I worry about a zinc screw & wingnut.
They also offered to take them back so I will return them.

I'm lucky that my guy does not chew on the hardware but he could put
his foot on it or guess lick it when I'm not looking. I just wanted to
feel safe. The listing was updated & stainless was removed. & they are
allowing me to return them. They were very sorry for the mix up.
I don't think it was anyone here but I will try to get the
vendors name. I guess its really important to know the vendor.

I picked out a platform from Danita but am waiting for confirmation of size.

I thought I had everything worked out & now I have to continue my search.

He just might prefer hanging on the bars but it looks uncomfortable to me &
I'd like to try to set up the cage so he uses more of it.

Last edited:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Is there a reason you're only considering very hard woods for perches? I don't think crimson bellies are any more destructive than GCC's and my GCC is not hard on perches at all. Using slightly softer woods opens up many more perch choices, and he will probably enjoy nibbling on the bark - even if he does chew up a perch, they are cheaper than most toys anyway. Maple, willow, birch, apple, pear, grape ect. are all good perch woods.

Don't worry too much about specific perch sizes - just try to offer a variety. 3/4" is not too small to use. My GCC (avg sized - 75g) loves to sit on her ladder which has 1/4" rungs. And she will happily sit for hours and even nap perched on her basket handle, which is only about 1/2" diameter.
I make most of her perches and stands and try to use branches that are 1 to 1-1/2 inches diameter at the widest part, with smaller side branches so she always has a choice.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe you can consider a multi branched perch as one of your choices.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks, this has not been easy & I'm starting to get overwhelmed.

I was making a pain of myself asking Danita questions this weekend but most of her hardwood perches are in the 9 in range. She did have a lot of full 1 inch widths which I was looking for at the time but now I really need longer. I ordered a platform perch which took a few all nighters of selection but waiting on confirmation of its dimensions.

I thought I was set for perches until I was told Monday the perches I ordered may not be stainless hardware could contain zinc. So I have to start all over again.

He doesn't chew his perches this is true. He really isn't a chewer. Only wipes his beak across a perch & mostly gently mouths the leather strips on his leather with wood toy.

I'm trying my best to figure this out but most perches are in the 8 or 9 in range.

His old ones were manzanita but I'm trying to get some with SS hardware for peace of mind.
I'm needing to start with a blank cage so want a few longer perches

Anyone familiar with ribbon wood?

I don't have room for lots of perches so trying to find the best all around useful sizes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you let us know which vendor is selling the perches that might have zinc? If you don't want to respond here you can PM me. I need several new perches but I am fairly sure I know where I will be getting them from.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Can you let us know which vendor is selling the perches that might have zinc? If you don't want to respond here you can PM me. I need several new perches but I am fairly sure I know where I will be getting them from.
It's no one here. I got them from ebay in FL. I asked who the supplier was but was told they are just starting a new company & do not sell online but only through her on ebay. She was very nice & apologetic & is allowing me to return them.
She has updated her listings to remove the stainless hardware.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Zinc, from what I've noticed, usually has a blue tint to it. A way to check for SS hardware (but by no means does it work all the time) is with a magnet test. Certain (more expensive) stainless steel grades are not magnetic (or only very slightly magnetic).

Our favourite perches are cajeput, grapewood (with bark), willow, Eucalyptus, ribbonwood and lilac. I usually get between ~3/4"-1.5" diameter for my conures. A variety of sizes is best.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Zinc, from what I've noticed, usually has a blue tint to it. A way to check for SS hardware (but by no means does it work all the time) is with a magnet test. Certain (more expensive) stainless steel grades are not magnetic (or only very slightly magnetic).

Our favourite perches are cajeput, grapewood (with bark), willow, Eucalyptus, ribbonwood and lilac. I usually get between ~3/4"-1.5" diameter for my conures. A variety of sizes is best.

Thanks, Do you like ribbon wood? I never heard of it?

One set of hardware has a blue tint. The other is more white metal colored but one washer has a lot of dark corrosion on it.

I did check with a magnet & they are all very magnetic. I also did a lot of research on magnetic properties of SS & it seems there are at least 3 types of composition of stainless steels & only one the one they use for tableware is non magnetic. So apparently the magnetic test does not rule out the other types of SS that can be used in screws & bolts which are magnetic.

I was on the hunt for a acid test as it seems stainless does not dissolve in gold acids but zinc & other metals will.
I have some gold acid but it's sort of dangerous & a lot of trouble for me to do that.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Thanks, Do you like ribbon wood? I never heard of it?

One set of hardware has a blue tint. The other is more white metal colored but one washer has a lot of dark corrosion on it.

I did check with a magnet & they are all very magnetic. I also did a lot of research on magnetic properties of SS & it seems there are at least 3 types of composition of stainless steels & only one the one they use for tableware is non magnetic. So apparently the magnetic test does not rule out the other types of SS that can be used in screws & bolts which are magnetic.

I was on the hunt for a acid test as it seems stainless does not dissolve in gold acids but zinc & other metals will.
I have some gold acid but it's sort of dangerous & a lot of trouble for me to do that.

I got a ribbonwood perch from Danita and Target would perch on it all day long if she could. I really like the cool texture of the wood. A bit too thick and slippery for Ophelia, though. I like Dragonwood too, but it usually doesn't come with SS hardware.

The SS hardware used on perches are usually 304 or 316, which are not magnetic.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks, I was not sure of the stainless used on perches & its magnetic properties.
I did read that stainless screws & bolts used a magnetic stainless so I really don't know.
Refrigerator magnets definitely stuck to this metal.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it helps, I did a magnet test on all of my perches with SS hardware and none of them were magnetic :) I'm currently going through a phase where I'm chucking out everything that I suspect of not being SS, so I bought the most powerful magnet I can find and did the magnet test on everything. It's by no means a guarantee that it's not SS if it sticks, but at least I have the peace of mind that it is very likely to be stainless if it does not stick.

I recently chucked out these SS pear links because the nut was magnetic while the body was less so. Couldn't figure out why parts of the link are more magnetic than others, so I chucked them to be safe:

I magnet checked these and they're completely non-magnetic, so when I buy pear links, I'll be sticking to ones that look like these:

SS-pearlinkjpg.jpg

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sunflower:
Thanks, it's good to know that there are lots of non magnetic stainless being used. That helps & makes me feel better.
I'm lucky my guy rarely messes with chewing on those things but I'd feel better knowing it is safe if he does.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
SS washers are very inexpensive to buy at a hardware store and if you swap out all questionable washers with SS ones, at least he'll have no contact with zinc from inside his cage.

Have you thought about making your own perches? You do need a drill, pliers, saw (or good garden clippers), and, ideally, a table mounted clamp. But they are very easy to make. The hanger bolts that are put into the perches are a bit expensive in SS but will last a long time. Whenever you get tired of a perch, you can just whack it with a hammer until it splits and pull out the hanger bolt to use in a fresh perch.

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
Thanks, I was not sure of the stainless used on perches & its magnetic properties.
I did read that stainless screws & bolts used a magnetic stainless so I really don't know.
Refrigerator magnets definitely stuck to this metal.
Okay so in terms of stainless being magnetic - it really depends on the grade of stainless being used. The less expensive stainless will be magnetic and the more expensive stainless will not be. So it is really hard to tell. I know that I only use stainless steel on all my perches that I make. I've also swapped out to stainless steel hardware on request for other perches :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bird Perches

Basically says something I read earlier that a proper perch diameter is one that a bird can wrap his foot around 75% of it.
They say that's really important for a sleep perch which they don't suggest should be too wide as they could have a problem gripping it when they sleep. They recommend 3 perches. Interesting article w a lot of math.

My guy sleeps mostly with his feet wrapped around the bars of the back of the cage which must be terrible for his feet.

Been looking into perches in the 1" diameter range & found some I liked that were approx. 1 in but varied up to about 1 1/8".
I checked his feet on the perch he has now which is narrower & look to be about right so I am concerned going up a slight might not be good as this perch is going to be the main center perch.

Another sleepless night trying to figure this out...

Pumping myself up with java as got to head out & try to feed the taxman.