• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Won't step-up

• Thread starter Lynn96
  • Start date
L

Lynn96

Hello, Tango as the title says will not step-up:sour:
I try and try but he complains in his little lovebird way and slams his head down so I can't put my finger near his feet. He just wants to sit on my shoulder and play kissy face. Or he jumps on my head ( I hate that ). I have NEVER had a bird that is so dead set on not stepping up. I have to grab him if I want him off and he grips whatever he can with a really good grip.:dead: I want to be happy with him not frustrated.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They can be quite willful. ;) You may have to resort to scooping the little darling up and prying his little feet open. :) He doesn't want to step up because his parront keeps putting him away!

Don't get frustrated. He loves you. This is good. It's a baby lovebird's job to be a pain in your behind! I still get birds jumping on my head, complaining, refusing to step up to go back in the cage, etc. Lovebirds are feisty little punks with minds of their own. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Squeaky dosent step up either. I have to scoop him up and once he's in my hand, he's fine... Till I kiss him all over,,,,then he runs off " squeaking " at me, like he's really mad,,,,haha!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My gcc Yuka usually won't ever step up if she manages to get herself on my shoulder or higher. If I try, it's goodbye to my finger. :lol:

If he's food motivated, a good way to get him down is by holding a high value treat just out of reach so he has to get on your hand to get to it. Or lure him down to your hand with the treat so you can place him elsewhere.

Yuka won't ever step up if I hold my finger by her belly, it always has to be above her head so she can step up with her beak. That may be a conure thing though. :hehe:

Good luck!

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Luna will step up for me unless she is really intent on something. Usually being somewhere she shouldn't be, little ratbag. Scooping her up usually works. If she's in my shirt or on a chord of some kind, she'll grip on like I'm trying to take her away to her doom. It's just how they are, I think. Lovebirds are very sassy.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have more experience with getting stubborn lovebirds to let go than anyone might expect. Hehehe. You'll have to become a pro!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
When my birds where little we started them with a perch about a foot and a half long and kept our hand away so they would get use to stepping on to the perch. Once they were use to that we slowly moved our hand closer and over time they got use to our hand. We made a slow progression to hand and its been good ever since.