• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Won't come out of the cage

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hey guys,
Toki and Pickles are settling in very well, but after a few attempts to let them free fly (just leaving the cage door open) they show no interest in leaving the cage. I'm worried as I really want them to get proper exercise. They sort of step up onto perches, but step off as soon as it comes towards the door.
Any advice?

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Maybe park a bird stand or chair against the cage near the door so they can sneak out when they feel safe to do so...you might even put some yummies on the stand/chair to further tempt them...and don't rush over to them, let them feel safe out there before approaching them

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try putting a perch just outside the door and hanging a favorite treat or toy to encourage them to come out.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
If the cage door swings open I will put a small perch on the door with a small bowl. I'll feed all treats in that bowl and then eventually I'll start leaving the door open and putting the bird's favorite treats. Usually they'll come to the door to get the treats and eventually get use to the big open space they have to explore!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How long have you had them?

My untame quaker, Bobber, didn't come out on his own for a few months.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Grace, Is there anyway you could set a comfortable chair next to their cage for you. Sit and talk to them and don't offer apples or millet to them unless you are holding it. Your bolder little guy might be the one that comes to you and the apple slice first. Birds seem to need a little time to get to know you be fore they want to leave their safe cage and come out. I have a rope type perch that sort of makes a loop and that is on the outside of my cage. After they learn to come out to see you (and your treats) put them on the "outside" perch. Soon you'll even be able to mist them with a small spray bottle and warm water. My shyer bird LOVES to do that and he hangs upside down with his little wings spread out to get misted! LOL! Talking softly, laughing, sometimes even singing to them and always ready to offer some type of food they love, and soon they'll want to come out. Best Wishes! Pat :)