• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Witnessed a Miracle

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What an amazing story!!! What a relief!

I had something similar happen with my conure, but she took off with a flock of doves, soaring until she was only a dot in the flock. She eventually turned around and flew back, had a seizure, and landed right in front of me, unhurt!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What an amazing story!!! What a relief!

I had something similar happen with my conure, but she took off with a flock of doves, soaring until she was only a dot in the flock. She eventually turned around and flew back, had a seizure, and landed right in front of me, unhurt!

It seemed so quick to me as from the time I knew he was missing to the time he flew down was about 2 hours. In reality it took poor Storm over 24 hours to make the decision. It was very obvious he wanted down but couldn't. My friend slept on his roof over night. I could not imagine.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How would we teach a bird to fly down? So good that Storm is safe inside now.

Practice practice practice. The only way to learn how to ride a bike is to get on that thing and pedal.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Now that is a great Daddy!

Yes, I was surprised what a wonderful owner he was. He was always a very kind person back in the day so it made sense he would love his bird the same way.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor guy! He must have been beside himself. It's so great that he got his baby back!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
So happy to read a happy ending!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome news! I am a volunteer on 911 Parrot Alert and so many birds are lost forever. I am so glad he has his baby safely home!

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Loved reading this! Needed to read something with a happy ending. Glad everything worked out!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Been there, done that!;) It really is heart breaking to see them in the trees, knowing they want to come down and knowing there is nothing you can do to help them. And Sarah, you're right, knowing how to fly inside is absolutely nothing compared to flying outside. A few of my birds who are also smaller than yours are really good fliers inside and can even fly down and do so all the time, up and down the steps all the time, and I don't know that they would fare any better than Amarillo did outside last year. It's just such a different ballgame outside.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Been there, done that!;) It really is heart breaking to see them in the trees, knowing they want to come down and knowing there is nothing you can do to help them. And Sarah, you're right, knowing how to fly inside is absolutely nothing compared to flying outside. A few of my birds who are also smaller than yours are really good fliers inside and can even fly down and do so all the time, up and down the steps all the time, and I don't know that they would fare any better than Amarillo did outside last year. It's just such a different ballgame outside.

I almost called you Jen. I'm sure it was the same scenario.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I almost called you Jen. I'm sure it was the same scenario.
It sounds so familiar! We knew that Ami wanted to come home...she even found our backyard and really did come home but just couldn't get down. I sat in the backyard for hours watching her hang out in our trees. It was agonizing! When Jon finally made the decision to climb the tree and get her, I was so thankful but scared too because I couldn't imagine him climbing that tree. Everything turned out in the end though and watching the two of them interact at 40 feet in the air was precious! Even thinking about it a year after brings tears to my eyes! She's such a special bird and even more so after going through all that with her!:)