• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Witnessed a Miracle

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Today I recieved a call from work regarding a African grey stuck in a tree. Upon calling the terrified owner I learned it was an old friend mine and Joe and I rushed to the home.

Poor Storm had been in the tree all day and night and was too scared to fly down. My poor friend was so upset at his "stupidty" as he called it, that lead to the bird getting outside.

It was a helpless feeling watching this tiny grey so high in the trees. The wind blowing and shaking the branches. Him making short flights from tree to tree trying to get down. The blue Jays staying near just watching him falter. Poor Storm calling to daddy and making every body gesture that he wanted down. It must have been an agonizing 24 hours for the both of them.

Every plan we had could risk him flying further away, with so many trees we might not have not seen him again. My friend had a tree service on the way and he was going to climb the tree....

All of a sudden feathers were everywhere around us, Storm flew down and was trying to land. He made a few tight circles over our heads and landed on the deck so happy to be grounded. It was a miracle! Everyone of us held our breath while my friend carried him inside. What a cutie! His only complaint once being back inside his home was "where's my cage & stand?" Ummm, out in the yard! Lol

My friend searched online for any helpful tips regarding escaped parrots. He did find AA. :) He was armed with quite a bit of knowledge from this forum and had everything setup perfectly.

Save one bird at a time AA. You might not even know you have. Your words and stories are read by more than just members and touch more lives than you may realize.

Goodnight Storm.
IMG950179.jpg

Last edited:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sad7:That was a wonderful story :heart2:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Amazing, simply amazing. So happy that Storm made it to safety and can bet he will be soundly sleeping this night after his tummy was full.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Now that happy story made my day so much better. Glad Storm is home and safe.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
OMG!! That is a miracle. I'm so happy that Storm was able to safely get down from the tree's. What determination!!
I'm so happy for him and his human flock.
:bounce4::bounce4:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Wow!!!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It was so awful, he is so tiny compared to my guys. The simple wind had him clinging to the branches. Well flighted bird in the house was no match outside in nature.

It reminds me the importance of teaching a bird to fly down. No flight skills are needed, it's a test of gravity VS brakes. A skill not often mastered being flighted in our homes.

Tonight I walk outside and hear the chilly air ripping through the tops of the trees. I know if he had not made that flight we would still be out there trying to get him down.

I'm so beyond relieved he dared to make the scary flight down. It could have ended much differently.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How would we teach a bird to fly down? So good that Storm is safe inside now.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How would we teach a bird to fly down? So good that Storm is safe inside now.

Korbel has learned outside on a harness but before that I used to have him fly from the top of the java tree to the carpet. It's not easy for them and one of the last flight skills they learn as babies. No flapping is involved, it's a jump with wings spread back so that all the secondary flights are acting as breaks against the wind.

Edited to add....

Although I feel like I have taught it with a few of my birds I have never tested it from a height that this little guy was at. I also pray I never have to test my training ability with it. I guess you can never have enough practice.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So glad Storm is home where he belongs.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Made me teary-eyed but so happy about the ending. :dance4::dance4:

And it was very gusty yesterday too down here ...

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wow. I'm so happy Storm made it back home safe. Now, I have to figure out how to get Sunny to learn to fly down. Something I never thought about before but certainly something worth working on. Thanks!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hooray for you and Joe the bird rescuers (and Stormy) too. Hey to his owner - you are not the only person in the world who has made an error - even a stupid error. Just take a look at all of the lost bird ads on this site.

Stormy - bet you are glad to be home, warm and well fed and loved on. Don't forget the lesson you just learned.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
wow what a great story. So glad it had a happy ending. "wheres my cage stand?" :lol: now that is hilarious! can you imagine him talking to the wild birds saying wheres my cage stand like a human :lol:so glad he is safe and sound :heart: