• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

With a heavy heart

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am sorry for your loss. I recently adopted a 7 yr old sheltie. The Vet I went to here told me that some tests for heartworm can yield a false positive. This is the first I am hearing of this. I had adopted a heartworm positive dog back in 2008 and we had here heartworm treatments done it was two days of injections. I am not sure why your Vet was waiting for medication? I know that heartworm begins with microfilarae in the blood stream of the infected dog from the mosquito bite. Once the worms lodge in the heart they grow.

It is very easily treated today! So I do know at one time there was a shortage of the drug to treat intramuscularly. But the slow kill method with preventive can work too.

I do not use any heartworm meds that need to be injested. I use Advantage multi made by Bayer. It is a montly topical, works well with fleas too. It is however, very expensive but I have been using it on my dogs and their tests come up negative. I also live in NC but it gets very cold here. Some suggest year round but come Dec through Feb it's freezing, there are no bugs around so I do not use it year round and my dogs are in the house, they only go out to pee etc. They would rather be in with me when I am home, they are in when we are not home.

I am glad you go another dog for you and for your other dog. :hug8:

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I'm sorry. I know the pain , having just lost my toby, the "if i had just."..eats at Me too. You loved her and she knew that. Try to.find comfort in that. It's the only thing getting me thru right now.