• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Wing injured and bleeding

allie136

Strolling the yard
My budgie must have had an accident while inside her cage because I saw she had a feather stuck on her beak, I pulled it off and noticed a little blood on it. Then inspecting her I saw blood had dripped off her wing onto her side and when she stretched out her wing a little I could see an injury with about a 1-2cm area of blood just underneath the edge of her wing.

I don't know what happened, but she was fine 5 minutes before that and had been out of the cage for a while earlier and didn't see anything. So either she fell in the cage onto a toy awkwardly? or could she have pulled out a feather which then bled?

She seemed fine in herself immediately afterwards, but as a precaution I moved her into a quiet dark room and removed her toys for an hour. She is now breathing heavily and shaking slightly, like shivering?

Could it be shock? I know losing a small amount of blood to us, can kill a small bird so I'm concerned but she's perched and awake seems okay otherwise. I didn't take her out the cage to get a closer look at the wing as don't want to stress her out.

Any advice?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely take her to the vet. Hope she will be OK.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How is she doing?

birdfamiliar

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sara
If I remember right, losing twelve drops of blood is fatal to a budgie. Go straight to an emergency vet!

allie136

Strolling the yard
Thanks for replying but I didn't take her to the vet because she was still perched and behaving okay otherwise, plus it wasn't actively bleeding it had stopped by itself.

I'm not sure what has happened but I took her out the cage later on, had a closer look at her wing and saw there is blood through a big flight? feather. The same thing has now happened on the same feather on her other wing too! What causes that? I've seen people mention blood actually inside a feather before and don't remember it being too serious, or something you do anything for....it just happens? Did she cause it herself by pecking at it?

She's still fine in herself today, eating, tweeting, perching, I let her out her cage today and she was flying around as normal, so I'm not too worried.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's how feathers grow in. While they're still developing they have a supply of blood inside the keratin sheath where the feather is growing. The blood goes away as they finish developing. It's perfectly normal, but a broken blood feather can be dangerous. I believe the correct course of action is to pull the feather out if it is broken like that and continues to bleed.

allie136

Strolling the yard
Thanks I will leave it alone as the bleeding stopped. Maybe the broken feather will fall out by itself in time. Hoping I didn't cause it to happen myself, she can be difficult to get back in her cage so I use a sheet to grab her in.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that the bleeding has stopped. Sometimes broken blood feathers will clot on their own but many times one needs to stop the bleeding with cornstarch or Kwik stop or the feather needs to be pulled.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
You should take her to the vet. Losing a teaspoon of blood is fatal to a parakeet... It would be very sad if she died.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is she doing?