• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing Flipping and Hormonal Behavior

Sniperzombies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melanie
My Eclectus started wing flipping about a week ago. I didn't really pick up what she was doing until recently. Shes also being hormonal and I read somewhere that this is a behavior (in some species) indicating a female is ready to mate. She doesn't do it when shes around me, only if shes in her cage or on her play perch. I had recently bought some new toys, nut nothing that she hasn't had before.

I thought it might have been a pin feather bothering her because she had a couple also.

I also read the food toxicity can be the problem as well. I give her some veggie pellets in small quantities when I'm not home and her usual veggie/grain mixture for breakfast/dinner. They are Zupreem Veggie Blend. I've tried to give her other pellets that had no color, but she just throws them out of her cage. I like her to have something to eat when I'm not home. Maybe I should switch to the Volkmans Eclectus Specific seeds. (Then she'd stop messing her water up.)

I've noticed nothing else out of the ordinary, but if anyone has a picky eclectus and could let me know what you feed them that would be great.

Last edited:

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I feed my ekkies veggies and fruit. They seldom get pellets. And only once in a while do they get seed.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ekkies have a very unique and sensitive digestive system. There are others with good knowledge of that and should be along.

It's not really recommended that you feed them any kind of fortified food including pellets. This is what wreaks havoc with their systems.

I don't have access to my links at the moment. I'll post some for you in the morning if no one else does it first.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wing flipping does not necessarily mean somethings wrong. Birds do that for other reasons too. But with Ekkies you have to be more cautious.

TOE TAPPING AND WING FLIPPING, by Carolyn Swicegood.

For those eclectus owners who never have seen this syndrome, toe tapping, or more accurately, foot clenching, is the rhythmic, involuntary opening and closing of one or both feet. As the toenails hit the perch, a tapping sound can be heard; hence the name. Wing flipping or flicking is an involuntary and repetitive movement of the wings. The wings droop and then are tightened against the body, making a slight popping sound. All parrots flick their wings occasionally. They sometimes do it quickly several times to rearrange the wing feathers. Sometimes it indicates their pleasure, as when their favorite person talks softly to them. Many healthy birds flip their wings several times as they are preparing to sleep. This is a perfectly normal behavior and not a symptom of a problem.

These two troublesome symptoms, which often occur simultaneously and seem to affect mostly eclectus parrots, have not been thoroughly researched at this time. There are causes other than excess vitamins and minerals. Some of the suspected causes of toe tapping and wing flipping are calcium deficiency, metal toxicity, pesticide overload, chemicals, and food allergies.

CALCIUM DEFICIENCY

Some cases of toe tapping and wing flipping clear up quickly after calcium supplementation. If low calcium levels are discovered by a blood test, and a calcium supplement is administered, the symptoms can clear up within an hour. Low calcium has proved to be a problem for a number of the birds exhibiting these symptom. Dr. Dave McCluggage, a holistic vet of Colorado, says that most avian testing is not very accurate. He recommends the addition of calcium if a blood test indicates not only low, but also low normal calcium levels. Amazingly, toe tapping often clears up within an hour of the administration of supplemental calcium. NeoCalglucon, available from pharmacists without a prescription for about $25, is the calcium of choice. There are calcium/magnesium supplements from health food stores that also are effective. Calcium supplementation should never be done on a long term basis without first establishing a deficiency by blood work done by a vet. Calcium deficiencies do not occur in healthy birds if they are given the proper diet. Eclectus parrots effectively assimilate the necessary nutrients, including calcium, from whole foods. Surprisingly to some, collard greens contain more calcium than the same amount of milk. Dairy is not the only good source of calcium. Leafy green foods such as kale, mustard, turnip and dandelion greens, broccoli, as well as almonds (a big favorite with eclectus), Brazil nuts and white navy beans contain good amounts of calcium in its natural form.

Other cases have turned up no shortage of calcium and no metal toxicity. Some birds exhibit the symptoms for weeks or months, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. This is stressful for the owner as well as the bird. Some of the remedies that have helped to alleviate the symptoms are calcium supplements, exercise, the elimination of all vitamin and mineral supplements including pellets, and treatment with a detoxifying formula of Aloe and herbs. The best course of action when a bird has these symptoms is an immediate vet check with comprehensive blood work including tests for metal toxicity. Although many vets are not yet familiar with the syndrome, it is important to rule out some of the serious conditions that often accompany toe tapping and wing flipping.

Isabelle Sislak, owner of a much-loved female eclectus named Kanani, said, "I have had the toe tapping and wing flipping problem with Kanani from time to time and it seems to be related to her consumption of food containing preservatives or possibly pesticides. I cannot figure out which yet. She does not toe tap or wing flip if I feed only organic foods and do not feed enriched pasta or breads which also cause the problem. I check labels very closely and usually give her all organic foods rather than worry about it. I buy bread, pasta, grains, seeds, and of course fruit and veggies from Whole Foods Organic. This avoids the preservatives and pesticides and prevents the problem. I also limit pellets as Kanani has had problems when eating too many."

One theory as to why toe tapping and wing flipping are seen most often in eclectus parrots is that this species is extremely efficient at extracting the nutrients they need from fresh whole foods. When given a rich diet, such as a high percentage of pellets which are meant to offer complete nutrition, a vitamin and mineral supplement added to their diet can cause nutrient overload. Fortunately it generally ends in one to three days without apparent permanent damage, once the "causative agent" is determined and corrected.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Pellets can cause problems as a total or majority of the Eclectus diet, whose digestive system is efficient at extracting nutrients from foods. Their natural diet is comprised of foods that are "nutrient sparse" foods as opposed to "nutrient dense" foods like pellets. Since they assimilate nutrients so efficiently, they often exhibit symptoms such as "repetitive foot clenching and wing flipping" if oversupplemented or fed too many rich foods. Unless a vitamin or mineral deficiency is diagnosed by blood tests, Eclectus should not be given supplemental vitamins and minerals. Pellets contain a full complement of vitamins and minerals and apparently are too rich for the system of some Eclectus parrots. Natural juicy foods of deep color, including greens, sprouts, fruits and vegetables should be the mainstay of the Eclectus diet. They do not need vitamin A supplements nor shots, as was believed many years ago. They assimilate all the vitamin A that they need from the colorful orange, yellow, red, and green foods like pomegranates, mangos, cantaloupe, carrots, red and green bell peppers, kale, collards, dandelion and other greens. All parrots should be given organically grown produce whenever possible because of the damaging cellular effects of pesticides. If a complete diet of whole foods is given, pellets can be fed as a vitamin and mineral supplement but only as a small percentage of the total diet.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Land of Vos is a great resource but the link is now dead. Don't know if it's still around.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Land of Vos is a great resource but the link is now dead. Don't know if it's still around.
I've not been able to get to the Vos link any more.

My female Ekkie also wing flaps during hormone season and sometimes when she is happy to see me.

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The Eclectus group on FB said Land of Vos is no more. :(

KevinSmithESQ

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin Smith
Yeah, it looks like she didn't renew the domain name. That's too bad, because I got a lot of my start up info from there. And the Eclectus has the most efficient digestive system of all parrot species. My guy lives on pellets and fresh veggies. It'll be nice this coming summer, because I am finally going to be able to have a garden, and I am gonna GARDEN IT UP!!!!! Hahaha! I can't wait. And according to a vet that I talked to, she had said that the Eclectus can survive solely on pellets, but it all depends on the breed. Personally, all my birds get the High Potency Pepper Lifetime coarse pellets from Harrisons. Sure, I don't strictly give them pellets, but on those days when you just don't have the energy to spend that extra 30 minutes prepping for 3 birds, pellets will do! Hahaha!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I would eliminate the fortified pellets and see if the wing flipping resolves itself. Is she toe tapping as well??

Good info above so hopefully you've had a chance to read through. If omitting fortified foods (could be other things, not just pellets. Pasta, bread, crackers, any pre-packaged foods, etc.) doesn't fix the problem, some routine bloodwork may be a good idea. If she happens to be a chronic egg layer, calcium deficiency might be something to look into.

Y'all are correct that LOV no longer exists. I was a member on the listserv for a long time and we were all sad to see it go but the site, forum and listserv became too costly to maintain for the amount of traffic it got, which greatly decreased in the end, unfortunately! Most of the active members migrated over to Facebook in the group Eclectus Parrots as Companions if you wish to join in there as well!

Sniperzombies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melanie
It stopped for a while, then it came back. It seems the wing flipping she does a couple days before laying an egg. There wasn't any toe tapping so maybe she was just "preparing" herself... Shes currently in her cage in the dark. Shes calling/honking to me in that "special way." My roommate came in and asked me if I had gotten a new bird lol.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Keep a food diary and when the winging flipping and toe tapping occur refer to the food diary to see what foods where fed to her. one person I know used the food diary to help identify what food was the problem. It turned out that the Eclectus was allergic to corn.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It stopped for a while, then it came back. It seems the wing flipping she does a couple days before laying an egg. There wasn't any toe tapping so maybe she was just "preparing" herself... Shes currently in her cage in the dark. Shes calling/honking to me in that "special way." My roommate came in and asked me if I had gotten a new bird lol.
Periods of stress can bring on tapping and wing flipping, not just food. It makes sense that preparing to lay an egg could cause that.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Mine does alot of wing flipping/flapping if she wants to come out of her cage.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
There is a distinct difference between wing flapping and flipping. My Ekkie had flipping and toe tapping when I gave him some pellets to round out his diet. The flipping was involuntary....as in there was no purpose to it and he had no control over it. He wasn't trying to get out of his cage or move from one side to the other....when he does that, his wings will flap from excitement. The sound is quite different too. It sounds like a dry, hollow clap and it is very brief. I didn't understand the difference until it happened to Willy...it was an Oh, now I get it, moment.